Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 11:17 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,675,107 times

Advertisements

What about Pink Slime?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
In general, the ONLY meat that is tenderized are less tender cuts which will need to be cooked for quite a while by the appropriate methods to get tender.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 06:48 PM

15,803 posts, read 14,417,439 times
AFAIK, that's a coomercial product (think McDonald's.) I don't think anything you'd be buying at the meat counter would be made of this. I would worry about frozen, prepackaged burgers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winter-rabbit View Post
What about Pink Slime?

Old 05-10-2014, 10:50 PM
EA EA started this thread

6,791 posts, read 7,096,352 times
A guy I knew, had a cow slaughtered, and gave me some of the meat. It was so much better than anything I have had from the store, it is unreal.
I am working on getting my own property and raising my own food.

Old 05-10-2014, 11:50 PM

165 posts, read 208,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johninvegas View Post
You know, this "Angus Beef" thing is really funny. As Scoop says, Angus is a breed of cattle, not a grade. All the stores make out like it's something really special. I lived in Missouri in the 70s and 80s and we didn't know what a great thing Angus was, as pretty much all the beef in the stores was Angus beef. It was the only kind of beef cattle raised around there, so naturally, that's what we got at the stores.

We always said if you really wanted good beef, you'd get some Charolais crossbreeds.
I never understood the Angus marketing hype either. I grew up on a grain and cattle farm in North Dakota. We a couple hundred head until Dad sold off the herd in my teenage years. It wasn't until some marketing companies came up with the idea in the last decade or so that somehow angus beef became such a huge marketing slogan. I think it's silly that people believe black cows somehow taste better than brown ones. There are certainly a few differences between breeds but the cow's diet is much more of a factor than the breed.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:45 AM

10,865 posts, read 16,961,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
A guy I knew, had a cow slaughtered, and gave me some of the meat. It was so much better than anything I have had from the store, it is unreal.
You don't have to do that to enjoy good food right now. Develop working relationships with ranchers (they're here), and farmers (they're here, too), and co-ops (lots of these). You don't have to go full-on "Little House on the Prairie" in order to get off the Agri-Corp treadmill.

You can get a serious jump start with a bunch of five-gallon buckets growing food in your back yard in buckets. A good plan right now is better than a great plan "someday."

Old 05-11-2014, 01:47 AM

2,457 posts, read 4,713,408 times
Quote:

I grew up in a rural area of WA state in the seventies. On our 10 acre lot. We had a full garden from potatoes to tomatoes and everything in between. Fruit trees bearing apples and pears every year. Raised chickens, ducks and goats. We also raised three head of cattle each year. One was butchered and fed a family of four for the entire year while the other two where sold for a small profit after the yearly expense of corn feed and salt lick. You just don't what your missing until you experience it.

Old 05-11-2014, 07:17 AM
EA EA started this thread

6,791 posts, read 7,096,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
You don't have to do that to enjoy good food right now. Develop working relationships with ranchers (they're here), and farmers (they're here, too), and co-ops (lots of these). You don't have to go full-on "Little House on the Prairie" in order to get off the Agri-Corp treadmill.

You can get a serious jump start with a bunch of five-gallon buckets growing food in your back yard in buckets. A good plan right now is better than a great plan "someday."

I live in an apartment at the moment, so planting a garden in my back yard, which is someone's apartment, is frowned upon.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:18 AM

78 posts, read 309,993 times
Re: Goat meat

Thanks Swagger, Mojavedxer and NLVgal

Will check out the suggested shops/sources and report back

Old 05-11-2014, 11:38 AM

10,865 posts, read 16,961,414 times
Quote:
I live in an apartment at the moment, so planting a garden in my back yard, which is someone's apartment, is frowned upon.
Do you have a balcony? Roof access?

There are many people who garden while living in highrises.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:14 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,079,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Do you have a balcony? Roof access?

There are many people who garden while living in highrises.
An Earth Box on a balcony or patio would be a good start.

With two of them you could grow a patio tomato, bush-style cherry tomato, and maybe some peppers in one, and some melons or squash in the other.

I've had pretty good luck with cooler season veggies (radishes, cauliflower, etc) with my earth boxes. The warm season veggies are a little more challenging because the roots get hot. Hot peppers and melons don't care though. The love the heat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas