Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 06:35 PM

200 posts, read 271,282 times

Advertisements

Hi all.

The wife and I will be moving to Vegas soon. The plan is to have a new home built, probably by DR Horton, Richmond American, Pardee, or some other cookie cutter home company.

We're considering a swim spa and wondering about solar heating for it. Has anyone had one of those installed? If so, how do you like it? Did you use solar heating for it? Any reputable installers you'd like to recommend?

Before we sign on the dotted line for a new house, I'd like to have some guesses on what to expect.

Although I see lots of good information on the various threads here, this is the first of many questions for me...

Thanks.

Jeff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 06:43 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,998,514 times
solar heating MIGHT add an extra month of swimming on either side….. put a gas heater in and you can swim on New Years Eve we do… nothing like a 15,000 gallon hot tub at 102 degrees...

Old 03-19-2014, 09:25 PM

Default gas heating and solar?

how about both gas and solar? Alternatively, how about electric and solar? I say that because most of the swim spas I see advertised mention built in electric heater (220V). So I'm thinking the way to go might be to use solar and electric. But I have no idea how long it would take to heat the swim spa with the built in electric heater and how much it would cost. And I have a similar lack of knowledge for solar heating of the swim spa.

I remember my days in Orange County CA 30 years ago with a hot tub that would get heated in an hour. Wonder if I'll get the same performance with solar and electric?

Old 03-19-2014, 10:48 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,805,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjtjtjt View Post
how about both gas and solar? Alternatively, how about electric and solar? I say that because most of the swim spas I see advertised mention built in electric heater (220V). So I'm thinking the way to go might be to use solar and electric. But I have no idea how long it would take to heat the swim spa with the built in electric heater and how much it would cost. And I have a similar lack of knowledge for solar heating of the swim spa.

I remember my days in Orange County CA 30 years ago with a hot tub that would get heated in an hour. Wonder if I'll get the same performance with solar and electric?
You are getting into an apple versus orange discussion.

There are effectively two kinds of spas. Those which are small swimming pools and left cold except when used and the self contained spa which is generally a well insulated box with a top which is kept heated all the time. swimming pool type spas are heated with gas or solar. Basically you take all the free heat you get from solar and then use gas to actually hwt it to a usable temperature. The solar is actually of only limited use in the winter so many don't bother.

I also question your new home decision. At the present new homes in LV are an economic disaster. The only one that makes any sense is a true custom but that is a very expensive alternative.

YOu will do a lot better to find a resale with a pool that you like.

Old 03-19-2014, 11:33 PM

670 posts, read 1,104,796 times
We have a 600 gallon spa attached to a 20,000 gallon pool. We also have a 400,000 BTU gas pool heater. We have never heated the pool but, the heater will heat the spa from 55degrees (the coldest our pool water gets in the winter) to 103 in about 40 minutes. We use the spa several times a month (weekends) in the winter and there is no real discernible difference in the gas bill.

If you are not already aware, pools in Vegas add very little value to the home at resell time. Hard to believe but it's true. They can also be very expensive to put in. You can find just about anything you are looking for in a resell home in Vegas. When the wife and I looked at homes when we moved here two and a half years ago (with lvoc) we saw many beautiful homes. Also consider, with a resell home in an established neighborhood you can get an excellent idea of the neighborhood through reputation, crime statistics and other research. A new construction neighborhood will be a total crap shoot. You don't know which way the neighborhood may go.

Just a little food for thought.

Old 03-20-2014, 08:46 AM

Thanks for the replies.

The swim part is important. And it is important to be able to swim in the winter, so substantial heating is required. I want to stay in good shape and swimming will do that. The swim spa instead of a pool looks to be what I would prefer with lower maintenance time and cost and not a lot of space used. I don't care what it looks like, but the wife does.

OK, you convinced me that buying a used house is the way to do it. Unfortunately, the wife has never owned a used car and always bought a new house so we'll be buying a brand new house. We're retirees with substantial savings and low income. Not worried about resale value since we will be here many years. Probably until the wife dies at which time I will probably relocate to Mars or the Moon or a space station.

I'm looking at the Endless Pool brand and wondering about solar heating it. But I might go with a lesser brand if there is an experienced installer of the swim spa and the solar setup who will do good work.

Old 03-20-2014, 01:37 PM

561 posts, read 681,685 times
Solar heating won't allow you to swim in the winter, it just extends the spring/fall time by about a month in either direction. I believe the Endless pool includes a water heater, so your most important factor would be insulation.

Old 03-20-2014, 02:32 PM

901 posts, read 1,899,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjtjtjt View Post

The swim part is important. And it is important to be able to swim in the winter, so substantial heating is required. I want to stay in good shape and swimming will do that. The swim spa instead of a pool looks to be what I would prefer with lower maintenance time and cost and not a lot of space used. I don't care what it looks like, but the wife does.

.........We're retirees with substantial savings and low income.......
If your main reason for wanting a swim spa is fitness, why not consider using one of the community pools such as Desert Breeze or Whitney Ranch Aquatic Centers? It certainly would be a lot less hassle and expense. No construction, no cleaning, no heating, no maintenance. Cost is $1/visit for seniors 55 and older, even lower if you purchase a pass. It would get you out of the house with a chance to meet other retirees. The place is filled with seniors in the mornings. They also offer aquatics fitness classes for a little variety.

Of course, if you want a pool/spa for recreational use as well, forget the above, but it is something to consider.

Old 03-20-2014, 06:14 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,805,587 times
The endless devices are of the standalone jacuzzi sort. Fiberglass with good insulation and a top. They are electrically heated and remain hot all the time.

They are reasonably expensive. You might also consider installing one somewhat below ground...makes in and out easier.

Solar and gas have no role in such a device.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:55 PM

Default swim temp vs spa temp

Thanks for the info. Looks like I have a few phone calls to make.

I liked the idea of a spa that did double duty as a swim area but I also like the idea of having those two areas at different temperatures. 102 or so for the spa, 80 for the swim tank. And if it is always hot and well insulated, I think I'm looking at the dual zone systems that have a separate area for spa and swim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas