Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 02:56 PM

15,795 posts, read 14,404,698 times

Advertisements

^
I see nothing in there that would have any indication that the Congress could not change the either the Colorado River Compact or the Boulder Canyon Project Act at will.

As you point out, getting something through the House would be another matter. But if there's something else CA needed badly enough (money comes to mind), he might be able to squeeze them sufficiently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 02:59 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,756,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
^
I see nothing in there that would have any indication that the Congress could not change the either the Colorado River Compact or the Boulder Canyon Project Act at will.
Yes...and you see the discussion that the state can't sue if they don't like it?

This is a weird area of the law and the courts mission is complex...they can consider "equity" and "just" in reviewing such a law. That is a big enough hole to drive a state through.

And someone is going to sue...you can count on it.

Old 03-26-2014, 03:37 PM

15,795 posts, read 14,404,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Yes...and you see the discussion that the state can't sue if they don't like it?
Under the compact. They can sue to enforce it.

In point of fact, anyone can sue for anything at any time. That doesn't mean it won't get slam dunked. So technically you're correct, they could technically file suit if congress changed the compact. It just wouldn't go anywhere.
Quote:

This is a weird area of the law and the courts mission is complex...they can consider "equity" and "just" in reviewing such a law. That is a big enough hole to drive a state through.

And someone is going to sue...you can count on it.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:30 PM

23,135 posts, read 28,897,766 times
I know one lucky dog/co-worker that was intuitive enough to sell her home at the very peak, and was able to pay cash for a $135k, 2400SF home in San Antonio. Of course, those sky high Texas property taxes ($350 a month on this house) are hard to swallow, but she got her dream home out of the deal, and doesn't miss living here!

To lessen our water fears, we must hopefully look to Southern CA for that. That Carlsbad desal plant should be operational before long, even though it will only supply 7% of the water to the San Diego area. And another desal plant is scheduled to get built near Huntington Beach. And there's some 17 desal plants on the drawing boards in CA. Even if a half-dozen get built, it's a help, maybe! There's also a desal plant under construction near Tijuana/Rosarito Beach, and any excess water sold to the San Diego area.

A desal plant was mothballed near Santa Barbara, some time ago, because suddenly the rains came and being that water from the desal plant was more expensive, they went back to a local water supply for cheaper water.

Now, in the end, this may not help at all, more desal plants, as it may result in more growth in Southern California, and, in effect, not lessen their demand for Colorado River water, which was intended to help LV.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:01 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,642,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I know one lucky dog/co-worker that was intuitive enough to sell her home at the very peak, and was able to pay cash for a $135k, 2400SF home in San Antonio. Of course, those sky high Texas property taxes ($350 a month on this house) are hard to swallow, but she got her dream home out of the deal, and doesn't miss living here!

To lessen our water fears, we must hopefully look to Southern CA for that. That Carlsbad desal plant should be operational before long, even though it will only supply 7% of the water to the San Diego area. And another desal plant is scheduled to get built near Huntington Beach. And there's some 17 desal plants on the drawing boards in CA. Even if a half-dozen get built, it's a help, maybe! There's also a desal plant under construction near Tijuana/Rosarito Beach, and any excess water sold to the San Diego area.

A desal plant was mothballed near Santa Barbara, some time ago, because suddenly the rains came and being that water from the desal plant was more expensive, they went back to a local water supply for cheaper water.

Now, in the end, this may not help at all, more desal plants, as it may result in more growth in Southern California, and, in effect, not lessen their demand for Colorado River water, which was intended to help LV.

San Antonio is a nice city! Unfortunately jobs in my line of work don't pay well there.
Bexter county must have lower taxes at least where she is at...I pay at least that much in just "school taxes" alone. I'm glad she's happy there...I think maybe some of the people I've met just miss the desert, LACK OF BUGS ect.
. Owning a house outright wouldn't keep me here but I know a couple people from central cali who did that and are very happy.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:43 AM

360 posts, read 809,950 times
Native Nevadan (currently in exile)

Most people can't have a rational conversation about Las Vegas as many of them who moved here have invested so much to do so and have sacrificed so much to stay that they take any critical discussion of the area and it's future as personal criticism of themselves. That makes it difficult for them to see the many shortcomings of the area and how murky it's future really is.

While I would enjoy returning home, the low wages and the sketchy employment situation doesn't make that desirable for me at this time. Maybe that will change;however with unemployment hovering around 10% that time doesn't appear be to be on the horizon.

Old 03-27-2014, 08:35 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,764,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortwaynebandit View Post
Native Nevadan (currently in exile)

Most people can't have a rational conversation about Las Vegas as many of them who moved here have invested so much to do so and have sacrificed so much to stay that they take any critical discussion of the area and it's future as personal criticism of themselves. That makes it difficult for them to see the many shortcomings of the area and how murky it's future really is.

While I would enjoy returning home, the low wages and the sketchy employment situation doesn't make that desirable for me at this time. Maybe that will change;however with unemployment hovering around 10% that time doesn't appear be to be on the horizon.
Have you thought of getting skills that would earn you a higher income? Although I work for a company based in New England and am fortunate enough to be paid New England wages, my wife is finishing her education to work in a field here that starts at 30% higher than New England pays for the same position. Couple that with the DRASTICALLY lower cost living and it is a no brainer.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
Have you thought of getting skills that would earn you a higher income? Although I work for a company based in New England and am fortunate enough to be paid New England wages, my wife is finishing her education to work in a field here that starts at 30% higher than New England pays for the same position. Couple that with the DRASTICALLY lower cost living and it is a no brainer.
I'm a maintenance planner (former millwright) with 25 years of extensive experience in electromechanical troubleshooting and repair. I have an Associates and I work at oil refineries around the country on contract and I make six-figures doing that. How many more "skills" should I attempt to obtain?

Why would you assume that my "lack of skills" had anything to do with why I was unable to get a job back home?

Old 03-27-2014, 09:09 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,804,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
You hit the nail on the head as more Eastern company's move out here they realize to retain or hire skilled and educated employees they must pay the wage for them. There are many people in the Valley who make great incomes because of this. Las Vegas is known as a transit city that is why you ask first where are you from before you ask where do you live. Now tack on the number of retirees moving here (you do not get laid off on retirement) and the recovery of the economy and Las Vegas should be fine. Las Vegas does not need another Big Boom it creates a false image which many people jump on and fly by night companies coming in and leaving vs what is now happening with the companies coming in and putting roots here. Las Vegas is a tourist town it is structured that way so do not move here expecting anything else their will be highs and lows business wise but where in the world does that not happen???

Old 03-27-2014, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishspy View Post
You hit the nail on the head as more Eastern company's move out here they realize to retain or hire skilled and educated employees they must pay the wage for them. There are many people in the Valley who make great incomes because of this. Las Vegas is known as a transit city that is why you ask first where are you from before you ask where do you live. Now tack on the number of retirees moving here (you do not get laid off on retirement) and the recovery of the economy and Las Vegas should be fine. Las Vegas does not need another Big Boom it creates a false image which many people jump on and fly by night companies coming in and leaving vs what is now happening with the companies coming in and putting roots here. Las Vegas is a tourist town it is structured that way so do not move here expecting anything else their will be highs and lows business wise but where in the world does that not happen???
Which Eastern companies are moving to Las Vegas and what types of jobs are they offering?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas