Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 03:26 PM

174 posts, read 970,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
And what if the 18-year old male friend decides to dump her once he gets there? One can only hope that he doesn't decide to dump her body in a dumpster! This whole thing stinks. LV underworld will eat them both up and they'll just become bad statistics.

I love the line how she's 16 and lived her "whole life" in LA, so she's used to bad traffic and over-priced housing!
You got it exactly right. Where could they possibley afford to live here? In some "crack house"? Maybe she could get a job in Pharump at one of the cat houses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 03:51 PM

255 posts, read 361,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Brooklynite View Post
You got it exactly right. Where could they possibley afford to live here? In some "crack house"? Maybe she could get a job in Pharump at one of the cat houses!
Isn't the Mann Act still in effect?

Old 12-07-2007, 04:20 PM

9 posts, read 26,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DessertRat View Post
I don't agree with all of the uber-conservatives (I rarely do) and some of their ridiculous comments, but I agree that practical things--like getting a job--are likely to be difficult for her until she's at least 18. Of course, there are ways around that as long as she realizes that it's going to be more difficult at first. There are plenty of lower-level jobs--like working at a fast food joint, working retail, etc.--possible at her age, although I don't know if she'd be able to work 40 hours per week. It would also be important to check out age requirements for transferring your drivers license on your own, registering your car in Nevada, etc.
Alright. I'll tell her that. But I seriously don't think she'll mind too much, because she told me that she's already accepted the fact that everybody else their own age will be buried in academics and whatnot, and they're going to be slaving away at a Starbucks. I suppose it could work and they'd survive, even it's barely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
I love the line how she's 16 and lived her "whole life" in LA, so she's used to bad traffic and over-priced housing!
Well, if you're trying to dispute that, it's true. LA traffic and house and rent prices beat anybody else's in the nation, even NYC in some parts. Maybe they could just get some tiny rundown apartment...

Last edited by Graphs; 12-07-2007 at 04:33 PM..

Old 12-07-2007, 04:53 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,712,823 times
Well, if you're trying to dispute that, it's true. LA traffic and house and rent prices beat anybody else's in the nation, even NYC in some parts. Maybe they could just get some tiny rundown apartment...[/quote]

Umm.. Not true. Los Angeles rent and home prices are high, but not as high as The Bay Area( SFO,OAK,SJC)on the average. It all depends on what type of work she is going to get out in Vegas. She's under 18, what type of job would she get? Maybe minimum wage at fast food? Las Vegas is cheaper but its not Texas cheap. Its not a good idea! Please talk this girl out of this non-sense!

Old 12-07-2007, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAPoolServiceLV View Post
Umm.. Not true. Los Angeles rent and home prices are high, but not as high as The Bay Area( SFO,OAK,SJC)on the average. It all depends on what type of work she is going to get out in Vegas. She's under 18, what type of job would she get? Maybe minimum wage at fast food? Las Vegas is cheaper but its not Texas cheap. Its not a good idea! Please talk this girl out of this non-sense!
But the bay area's traffic can't beat ours!

Can't she just get a job at the mall or something? I know that she really really wants to do this, she's tired of life here in LA and she really can't stand her family. And I know that everyone and their mom uses that, but she's explained things to me and her problems are really different. In fact she told me that it got so bad that she was actually diagnosed as clinically depressed in seventh grade and she had hell getting through middle school. She's been through a ton of counseling and even the cops and nothing worked. She is very mature for her age, she can handle all the 18+ stuff. Plus the friend believes in her, she actually pulled him off a normal path of college and adult life to do this...

Old 12-07-2007, 05:06 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,712,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphs View Post
But the bay area's traffic can't beat ours!

Can't she just get a job at the mall or something? I know that she really really wants to do this, she's tired of life here in LA and she really can't stand her family. And I know that everyone and their mom uses that, but she's explained things to me and her problems are really different. In fact she told me that it got so bad that she was actually diagnosed as clinically depressed in seventh grade and she had hell getting through middle school. She's been through a ton of counseling and even the cops and nothing worked. She is very mature for her age, she can handle all the 18+ stuff. Plus the friend believes in her, she actually pulled him off a normal path of college and adult life to do this...
What you just said is exactly why she shouldn't move to Las Vegas! Can't you see the big picture. She is not going to have any kind of friends or support in this town. At least in LA she is closer to relatives and probably better social services than Las Vegas has to offer. If she can't make it in LA, she's not going to make it in Las Vegas or any big city. She's just not ready.

As for L.A. traffic, yeah... your correct about how congested L.A. is. Have you driven in the Bay Area durring rush hour? Its not fun either. I think L.A. has an advantage because they have so many freeways. The Bay Area is crippled if one of the bridges goes down. There is a big body of water in the middle and there is no way around or across it! I use to commute from San Jose to San Francisco (downtown) It would take me 40 mins until I get to where Candlestick park is. From there it's another 40 mins to get to downtown!

Old 12-07-2007, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAPoolServiceLV View Post
What you just said is exactly why she shouldn't move to Las Vegas! Can't you see the big picture. She is not going to have any kind of friends or support in this town. At least in LA she is closer to relatives and probably better social services than Las Vegas has to offer. If she can't make it in LA, she's not going to make it in Las Vegas or any big city. She's just not ready.

As for L.A. traffic, yeah... your correct about how congested L.A. is. Have you driven in the Bay Area durring rush hour? Its not fun either. I think L.A. has an advantage because they have so many freeways. The Bay Area is crippled if one of the bridges goes down. There is a big body of water in the middle and there is no way around or across it! I use to commute from San Jose to San Francisco (downtown) It would take me 40 mins until I get to where Candlestick park is. From there it's another 40 mins to get to downtown!
What should she do then? Move out of her parents house and into an apartment in LA with her friend? Right now I honestly can't say which one is worse, her just running off to Vegas or her staying here but moving into an apartment with her friend. They're both still expensive.

Old 12-07-2007, 05:28 PM

359 posts, read 1,407,789 times
well its certainly not a good idea to move out here into vegas at that age expecting to look for a job that will pay for rent, utilities, and other various expenses. most places wont even hire a 16 year old. why is she in such a hurry ? she should appreciate the fact that she has both parents and take advantage of that. plus, at 16, shes still limited in what she can do such as drive and work. just because she graduated high school already doesnt mean shes ready to go and tackle all the world has to throw at her.

Old 12-07-2007, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyojo View Post
well its certainly not a good idea to move out here into vegas at that age expecting to look for a job that will pay for rent, utilities, and other various expenses. most places wont even hire a 16 year old. why is she in such a hurry ? she should appreciate the fact that she has both parents and take advantage of that. plus, at 16, shes still limited in what she can do such as drive and work. just because she graduated high school already doesnt mean shes ready to go and tackle all the world has to throw at her.
But her parents don't want her. They even told her that. She's been thinking about moving out forever.

Right, it doesn't mean that she's ready. But she sure wants to do it, so what am I supposed to do? Plus if she doesn't do this, what should she do? Just move into an apartment in LA with the friend?

Old 12-07-2007, 05:38 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,463,477 times
Graphs, while I applaud you looking on here to try and get some good advice to tell your friend, please look at what these kind folks are trying to say.
A lot of traffic, high rents, etc... are true in both areas while Vegas is probably cheaper. The fact is that since your friend is only 16 she hasn't had to worry about these things yet. Mom and Dad or someone else has always provided food, shelter, probably a vehicle, etc... It is a SHOCK (was for me and probably everyone else here) when you left these basic necessities at home and had to provide on your own.
Do what you can to get her to apply at least to UNLV or a community college. There are limits on how many hours an employer can have her work since she is under 18, there are people that will take advantage of her situation (young, nieve, need money, etc...) While these things you and her may not want to hear, they are HONESTLY VERY TRUE. Most threads in here recommend 3-6 months spending money before moving here and having enough saved to find a decent job that can cover auto, rent/mortgage, utilities, the inevitable night life, food, insurance, etc... It costs a lot.

Please do and don't take these comments personal. Nobody is trying to squash your friends dream, it is simply that we all have been 16-20 years old before, we've taken the hard earned lumps as we tried to figure things out, etc... Many take til 20-30 years old to get things together. Your friend and her boy friend are just young. At that age rose colored glasses should paint a great picture of what is out there. I for one, just know that so many things effect the rose colored picture that at many times it is definatley a struggle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: