Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 07:16 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,766,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
That's right, I don't vary mine much. For part of the warmer weather, I don't change it at all. Tile floors and ceiling fans help a lot, I never have mine below 80, sometimes a bit higher than that.

To save money, you'd have to keep it at 90? Sorry, that doesn't make sense. What do you keep it at in the summer now? One or two degrees higher in your constant setting can make a noticeable difference.
Because I am on Time of Use. NVE structures it so it is beneficial to change the thermostat (to off) during the summer days. I keep it at about 76 from 7:00p-1:00p, then turn it off. I pay $.05/kwh from 7:00p-1:00p, and then $.33/kwh during those 6 peak hours. However, from Oct-May, I pay $.04/kwh 24 hours a day, and my bill is $40-$45. If I was paying the standard $.12/kwh year-round, my bill would be higher every month and I'd have to turn my thermostat way up so my a/c kicked on less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 08:45 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,307,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
Because I am on Time of Use. NVE structures it so it is beneficial to change the thermostat (to off) during the summer days. I keep it at about 76 from 7:00p-1:00p, then turn it off. I pay $.05/kwh from 7:00p-1:00p, and then $.33/kwh during those 6 peak hours. However, from Oct-May, I pay $.04/kwh 24 hours a day, and my bill is $40-$45. If I was paying the standard $.12/kwh year-round, my bill would be higher every month and I'd have to turn my thermostat way up so my a/c kicked on less.

I'm on a similar plan. I still don't think you'd have to turn it up to 90 if you were not on that plan.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I'm on a similar plan. I still don't think you'd have to turn it up to 90 if you were not on that plan.
Perhaps well into the 80s then. If I left my thermostat even at 80 around the clock, it would be running non-stop at $.33/kwh for 6 hours a day. I can do the math. It is LESS expensive to turn it off during the day than to leave it at one temperature 24 hours per day, unless it was set at an uncomfortable temperature for me.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:20 AM

11,168 posts, read 15,961,672 times
Quote:
The electricity bill will be higher in the summer than the winter, for the obvious reason that it is consistently 110+ degrees during the day.
C'mon, it is not consistently 110+ during the day. The average high in July is 104 and the average high in August is 102. In fact, there isn't even any one day throughout the summer with an average high greater than 105. Now, do we have heat waves when the temps are higher than normal and even run into the mid-teens? Of course. But that doesn't mean that one needs to exaggerate the normal average day-to-day temps in the summer.

And on a related matter, summer bills aren't always higher than winter. I, for one, usually had my highest electric bills in Jan/Feb when I lived in Las Vegas full-time.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:05 AM

I've only been here through one summer. The day we got here (June 9th) it was 114. We are in Henderson, however, which gets hotter than the "official" temperature at McCarron. The record temperature for Las Vegas is 117, yet we had 120 3 days here at my house last year. Yes, the average high is only 104, but that means there are days of 100, and days of 110. I don't know if you were here last year during our multiple weeks of 110+, but I was. You can talk averages all you want, but it is factual data that supports my claim that there are time periods of consistent 110+ days in the summer.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:41 PM

687 posts, read 4,401,341 times
Thank goodness I dont have to worry about all this temperature chaos that you guys do! We like to be cool, our thermostat is now set on 71 cool and it will stay there until the end of October.
Our kids like to use the swamp cooler out in the game room/garage but when the monsoon mess rolls in, that air conditioner will be set to 71 also.

Old 04-05-2014, 01:18 AM

10,865 posts, read 16,959,029 times
Quote:
I've only been here through one summer. The day we got here (June 9th) it was 114. We are in Henderson, however, which gets hotter than the "official" temperature at McCarron. The record temperature for Las Vegas is 117, yet we had 120 3 days here at my house last year. Yes, the average high is only 104, but that means there are days of 100, and days of 110. I don't know if you were here last year during our multiple weeks of 110+, but I was. You can talk averages all you want, but it is factual data that supports my claim that there are time periods of consistent 110+ days in the summer.
But the average temp -- the temperature recorded every hour and then divided by 24, or every minute and then divided by 1440 -- is going to be well under 110, any time of the summer. Doesn't matter. Half the day it's in the 80s and 90s, so it balances out.

The temperature that concerns both of us the most (since we both have Time of Use) is the period between 1-7pm, and that temperature averages north of 110f many, many days. (And Sunrise is even hotter than Henderson, if you can believe it.)

People who aren't on Time of Use aren't going to think the same way about summer cooling strategies as people who are. I assume that we have similar strategies -- get the house down as low as possible until 12:59pm, and then shut everything off and lock the house down until 7:01pm, and only THEN resume cooling (and using the dishwasher, washer, and everything else which isn't a refrigerator or computer.) Most people cannot be bothered with such inconvenience. I personally enjoy the extra week's vacation we're able to take saving so much on utilities. I'd rather spend my money on a trip than send it to BRK-A shareholders.

Old 04-05-2014, 05:44 AM

11,168 posts, read 15,961,672 times
Quote:
No, you're missing the point. There is not one single day where the high temperature is expected to be above 105 from year to year. You can't point to any one day for this upcoming summer and say that it is expected to be higher than 105. Sure, there are days when the temps hit 110+, but those are anomalies. It's called a heat wave. It happens from time to time. That doesn't mean that your statement that it is consistently 110+ in the summer is anywhere close to being accurate or factual.

Oh, and yes, I was in Las Vegas for every single day of last summer. I arrived at the beginning of April and returned to Miami Beach in the middle of September.

Old 04-05-2014, 08:32 AM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,094,959 times
I can't tell what my bill was. I only ran the a/c for about a month. During that month, I was still paying a deposit on my electric bill. It's highest was 250~ WITH the deposit. It's been running 70-80 bucks since then. I do have a powerful computer, dual monitors, etc along with a laptop constantly on, the wife's pc, and kids who constantly leave their lights on.
250 is a LOW bill where I moved from so the summer bills can be whatever they want. Snot dat bad, snot.
Oh, and I kept the a/c on 78

Old 04-05-2014, 08:42 AM

Our utilities are considerably less here than they were in New England. Our gas bill was $28 last month, electric $46, water about $35. I don't miss the oil bills during the winter back there, that's for sure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas