Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 02:49 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,680,050 times

Advertisements

You're right.

Lack of sunshine extends to every facets of life.

Grumpy coworkers, tired food waiters, drivers taking their rage upon you...

When I die, I want to look into either a beautiful clear night sky or bright sunshine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfHender View Post
Moved from NH in 2010. Nothing would make us consider moving back. After a lifetime of snow, fog, clouds, rain, and gloom for 344 days a year, you won't believe how friendly folks are here just by virtue of being in sunshine. You won't ask for an item and hear "if we had it, it would be out". People at the McDonald's drive-thru actually smile and look interested in assisting you. Along with a much lower cost of living, I think you will enjoy yourself here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 02:50 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,786,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfHender View Post
Moved from NH in 2010. Nothing would make us consider moving back. After a lifetime of snow, fog, clouds, rain, and gloom for 344 days a year, you won't believe how friendly folks are here just by virtue of being in sunshine. You won't ask for an item and hear "if we had it, it would be out". People at the McDonald's drive-thru actually smile and look interested in assisting you. Along with a much lower cost of living, I think you will enjoy yourself here.
Having lived in New England off and on for a couple decades, the first 3 months here had us scratching our heads and wondering what people's agenda was that made them so friendly. The cynicism wore off, though, and we realized that good weather makes people happy. As someone said, how can the day suck when it's bright, sunny, and warm almost every day??

Old 04-09-2014, 03:01 PM

526 posts, read 832,975 times
I ASKED HIM A WHILE BACK BECAUSE I WILL BE MOVING ALL MY CRAP IN JULY..

I am also from NE, born in CT, lived in VT and moved here from Cape Cod. Everything Raiderman said is factual so I will not repeat it. You can believe Irishspy also, even though he is a diehard yankee fan..but we all have our crosses to bear!!

I bought a house here in 2011. My 3 cats and I moved here permanently in June 2013. I will be going back to VT for my son's wedding in July; then we are closing up the Cape house. Then wife and I are renting a Penske and driving out with all our stuff.

Just a side note, I won over $700 betting on UCONN basketball this week. It pays to live here and be from New England.

Last edited by tadtam; 04-09-2014 at 03:02 PM.. Reason: grammatical errors

Old 04-09-2014, 03:27 PM

Thank you!! I will follow the same path as Raiderman with the logistics!

moving-help.com is great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadtam View Post
I ASKED HIM A WHILE BACK BECAUSE I WILL BE MOVING ALL MY CRAP IN JULY..

I am also from NE, born in CT, lived in VT and moved here from Cape Cod. Everything Raiderman said is factual so I will not repeat it. You can believe Irishspy also, even though he is a diehard yankee fan..but we all have our crosses to bear!!

I bought a house here in 2011. My 3 cats and I moved here permanently in June 2013. I will be going back to VT for my son's wedding in July; then we are closing up the Cape house. Then wife and I are renting a Penske and driving out with all our stuff.

Just a side note, I won over $700 betting on UCONN basketball this week. It pays to live here and be from New England.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:25 PM

I had to dig back a ways, but found a post I made with the pricing comparisons from just about where you are to here..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
Hi there. I wanted to post this for those of you who may be considering a long-distance move and are weighing the options, as we're going through this in real-time now.

My wife, my 20 year old stepdaughter, and 2 chihuahuas are moving from Rhode Island to Las Vegas in June. We have 1 vehicle to bring. We're moving a 1500 sq.ft. condo. I am the compulsive researcher, so had to look at every single angle to determine what the best option was for us. We came up with a few scenarios:

1. Rent a moving truck and tow the SUV
2. Hire a full-service moving company and drive the SUV
3. Use a "U-pack, we ship" service and drive the SUV

We had also considered selling the car, using a moving service, and flying there, but one of our chihuahuas is VERY aggressive toward strangers and we didn't want to risk flying with her.

Here's what we came up with, based on a 4 night, 5 day, 2800 mile move:

Option 1
Penske - 22' truck, towing SUV - $2270 + tax
Uhaul - 20' truck, towing SUV - $2529 + tax
Budget - 24' truck, towing SUV - $2390 + tax
Additional $1000 fuel and $500 food/lodging

Option 2
I only got a few quotes, but none were lower than $5000

Option 3
I checked reviews, and ABF seemed to be the most reputable and lowest priced. My online quote for 13 linear feet (bear in mind this is a tractor trailer, so much wider and taller than a moving truck) - $3250. I called to speak with a representative, and by the time all was said and done, we arrived at a price of $2553. For each linear foot extra, the charge is $107. Conversely, for each linear foot we don't use, the price goes down $107. They drop off the trailer at our house on May 31st, pick up on June 3rd and deliver to Las Vegas on June 10th, a day or so after we get there. In our 25mpg SUV, fuel is going to cost us about $400 (based on $3.50/gal) and food/lodging about $500 on the high end.

I'm posting this because I've been looking for a thread JUST like this for the past couple weeks and have never seen it all in one place, and I hope this will help others who may be considering a cross-country move!

Old 04-09-2014, 07:00 PM

Did you just stop at a motel after 10 hour drive and hope they didn't all booked up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
I had to dig back a ways, but found a post I made with the pricing comparisons from just about where you are to here..

Old 04-09-2014, 11:57 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,808,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winter-rabbit View Post
Did you just stop at a motel after 10 hour drive and hope they didn't all booked up?
If you are traveling with animals use Motel 6. Go to their web site and map your trip. They are not fancy but all you are doing is sleeping and no hassle or extra for the pets. We called ahead half way through the day to the next one we planned to be at and made a reservation. I think the most expensive one was $59.00 a night. Some were nice and some were dumpy but it was only for a nights sleep and off on the road early in the morning.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishspy View Post
If you are traveling with animals use Motel 6. Go to their web site and map your trip. They are not fancy but all you are doing is sleeping and no hassle or extra for the pets. We called ahead half way through the day to the next one we planned to be at and made a reservation. I think the most expensive one was $59.00 a night. Some were nice and some were dumpy but it was only for a nights sleep and off on the road early in the morning.
^ this. We stayed exclusively at La Quinta and Motel 6, both allow pets with no surcharge. We didn't call ahead, as there were always plenty of options. As Irishspy said, some were good, some were bad. The La Quinta in Amarillo was the nicest, and the worst was BY FAR the Motel 6 in Memphis. But, we went to be late and got up early, so we were fine anywhere for a few hours of sleep.

Actually, just looked back. We stayed at Super 8, Motel 6 and La Quinta. Including taxes/fees - Super 8 Clearfield, PA $79, Super 8 Miamisburg, OH $76, Motel 6 Memphis, TN $46, and La Quinta Amarillo, TX $97.

Old 04-10-2014, 08:48 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,808,416 times
One other thing I do not know what route you are using but if you have to drive through Iowa, Nebraska, and beyond that be prepared for some tough driving because it is flat straight and nothing but corn fields. At first it is interesting but then it becomes a exercise in you against the terrain driving. I found this leg of the trip the hardest but it just made me appreciate that first Palm tree I saw coming into Vegas more

Old 04-10-2014, 09:06 AM

Should I cut down to Oklahoma and Texas then New Mexico? It is only extra 80 long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishspy View Post
One other thing I do not know what route you are using but if you have to drive through Iowa, Nebraska, and beyond that be prepared for some tough driving because it is flat straight and nothing but corn fields. At first it is interesting but then it becomes a exercise in you against the terrain driving. I found this leg of the trip the hardest but it just made me appreciate that first Palm tree I saw coming into Vegas more
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: