Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 06:13 AM

224 posts, read 947,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by winter-rabbit View Post
I didn't expect many to come from NE! You guys are coming out of the woodwork!

Most NE folks will either buy second homes in FL or move to CA!
Low humidity
Warm temps
Few mosquitoes
Not as much stuff I'm allergic to
Can get a house with a pool for a reasonable cost, and actually use the pool
WAY lower property taxes
Lower COL overall
Within easy driving distance of many other interesting places
Many more services (compared to where we currently live--I realize this is true for any city)

Currently considering the move and those are my main reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 08:57 AM

55 posts, read 136,663 times
Okay, born and bred New Englander here (CT) and to let others tell it with regards to the snow we get here and all they mention about Vegas is the searing summer heat...but for all it's worth...it does get freezing cold there AND it snows and sleets with the changing seasons. So...it's not like you're living in 12 month hot/balmy, subtropical South Florida. I couldn't imagine being stuck out there with those soaring temperatures and land locked. That place could fry your brain....

Old 04-12-2014, 09:26 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,680,050 times
So you're still in CT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by McaVacationDivas View Post
Okay, born and bred New Englander here (CT) and to let others tell it with regards to the snow we get here and all they mention about Vegas is the searing summer heat...but for all it's worth...it does get freezing cold there AND it snows and sleets with the changing seasons. So...it's not like you're living in 12 month hot/balmy, subtropical South Florida. I couldn't imagine being stuck out there with those soaring temperatures and land locked. That place could fry your brain....

Old 04-18-2014, 12:45 AM

404 posts, read 1,196,307 times
We moved here from WOrcester in 2009 and as others have said, our only regret is not doing it earlier. We loved the desert. However, I don't care how dry it is --when the temps go above 106---it is HOT!!! We love the sunshine, the brilliant blue skies, the emerald green golf courses, and seeing snow on the mountain tops but not in our yard! WHat do we miss? Autumn leaves changing colors (the aspens here turn a beautiful yellow and the area around Park CIty does get more color---but not the same as New England), New England style hot dog rolls, LOL, and good Italian food!!! Welcome to Nevada---you will love it here!

Old 04-18-2014, 07:16 AM

We plan to rent in Summerlin. It's like renting in Newton back in title town.

My wife and I decided that during July, we can vacation back to Boston area to skip part of the height of the heat! At least at 109 outside, I can sit in the shaded backyard and enjoy an ice cold lemonade. Can't do that in the winter storm!

Are you a real estate agent in LV now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfitt View Post
We moved here from WOrcester in 2009 and as others have said, our only regret is not doing it earlier. We loved the desert. However, I don't care how dry it is --when the temps go above 106---it is HOT!!! We love the sunshine, the brilliant blue skies, the emerald green golf courses, and seeing snow on the mountain tops but not in our yard! WHat do we miss? Autumn leaves changing colors (the aspens here turn a beautiful yellow and the area around Park CIty does get more color---but not the same as New England), New England style hot dog rolls, LOL, and good Italian food!!! Welcome to Nevada---you will love it here!

Old 04-19-2014, 01:41 AM

404 posts, read 1,196,307 times
I messaged you about the REALTOR question as the moderator considers it trolling.

I live in Mesquite but I love Summerlin. Yes, it is very similar to Newton. Both July and August are very hot so you may want to consider extending your vacation

I agree about the lemonade in the shade vs. sitting outside in a snowstorm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by winter-rabbit View Post
We plan to rent in Summerlin. It's like renting in Newton back in title town.

My wife and I decided that during July, we can vacation back to Boston area to skip part of the height of the heat! At least at 109 outside, I can sit in the shaded backyard and enjoy an ice cold lemonade. Can't do that in the winter storm!

Are you a real estate agent in LV now?

Old 04-21-2014, 07:41 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,486,282 times
I left mass & nh in 1984. Moved to SoCal during a
Heat wave (114-117 for 3 weeks). Didn't think I could make it

But then I realized that most of the time I felt so much better
With the steady weather. Yes, smoggy but not humid & not too
Many storms. I left ca in 2006 for 4 years (to Minnesota).
I thought that Californians only convinced themselves that they can't
Live with "weather".
I was 45 in Minnesota & climbing snow/ice banks!
While taking Boniva for osteoporosis. I left after 4
Years. I just didn't want to have the weather take up so much
Of my energy.
Most of my New England friends left ca for lack of culture or earthquakes.
Not me.
New Englanders NEVER understand why anyone would leave.
I've been in Las Vegas since last sept so I think I will have a hard time
With the heat but I've been there before

You will love the expanse scenery of the southwest, I am sure.
You will not miss the traffic or cost of living.

Old 05-09-2014, 03:34 PM

54 posts, read 68,549 times
Default Rhode Island

Moved from Rhode Island in 2003. 1st to Phoenix, then to Kingman in Dec of 05. Life without mosquitoes, snow (that sticks around), rain, and mud. Phoenix was too hot, Kingman is 15 degrees cooler in the summer. Snows occasionally, but melts away by noon. Home prices are dirt cheap, but the bad side to that is it attracts a lot of low income people to the area. And by that I mean people living in campers on BLM land, and LOTS of trailer homes. Disabled and lowly educated people are prevalent. Guns, old pickups, and Obama jokes are the norm too. If you can look past all of that, I think you`ll like it. The weather is just too darn good to go back!

Old 05-10-2014, 08:53 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,786,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrilander View Post
Moved from Rhode Island in 2003. 1st to Phoenix, then to Kingman in Dec of 05. Life without mosquitoes, snow (that sticks around), rain, and mud. Phoenix was too hot, Kingman is 15 degrees cooler in the summer. Snows occasionally, but melts away by noon. Home prices are dirt cheap, but the bad side to that is it attracts a lot of low income people to the area. And by that I mean people living in campers on BLM land, and LOTS of trailer homes. Disabled and lowly educated people are prevalent. Guns, old pickups, and Obama jokes are the norm too. If you can look past all of that, I think you`ll like it. The weather is just too darn good to go back!
We moved from RI a year ago next month.. Jeez, we heavily impacted the population there. Weren't there only 40 of us to begin with?

Old 05-10-2014, 11:26 AM

Vegas should be the go-to state for remote NE workers!

Have you been to any local NE Sports gathering? Or you don't care wearing NE sports gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
We moved from RI a year ago next month.. Jeez, we heavily impacted the population there. Weren't there only 40 of us to begin with?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: