Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 06:29 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,678,568 times

Advertisements

Bad as in how bad?

Thugs/shady people walking the street at night? People blasting music? Homelessness? Crime..etc

Sorry if I am assuming things here. I've lived in NYC and Boston. Bad is all of the above!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Yes. It's sarcasm. North Las Vegas has a bad reputation because of some of the older areas of town. I was in the BAD part of NLV yesterday. It took me 20 minutes by car to get there from my place (just south of Aliante).

NLV has grown up, but hasn't managed to shake its reputation yet. This is a good thing for buyers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 06:38 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,781,352 times
Mattapan bad. But just like Boston isn't defined by Mattapan, NLV is not defined by its bad areas. It's a city. Cities have good and bad neighborhoods. I would have absolutely no qualms living in Aliante.

Old 04-08-2014, 06:59 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,678,568 times
Hey you know Mattapan! Where did you live in Boston? For some reason, I keep thinking there are not a lot of Bostonians moving to LV; considering LV is probably at the bottom of the list.

How long have you been a transplant? Do you proudly wear all your Red Sox/Patriots/Bruins/Celtics gear?

LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
Mattapan bad. But just like Boston isn't defined by Mattapan, NLV is not defined by its bad areas. It's a city. Cities have good and bad neighborhoods. I would have absolutely no qualms living in Aliante.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:11 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,793,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winter-rabbit View Post
Hey you know Mattapan! Where did you live in Boston? For some reason, I keep thinking there are not a lot of Bostonians moving to LV; considering LV is probably at the bottom of the list.

How long have you been a transplant? Do you proudly wear all your Red Sox/Patriots/Bruins/Celtics gear?

LOL
actually Bostonians who wear the colors are a bit of a pain. If you really love the Celtics stay in Boston and enjoy. If you come to Las Vegas expect it to be a non-issue. We value the spread.

But if you can rise above it welcome.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:20 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
Quote:
Bad as in how bad?

Thugs/shady people walking the street at night? People blasting music? Homelessness? Crime..etc

Sorry if I am assuming things here. I've lived in NYC and Boston. Bad is all of the above!
Really bad. Thugs dealing drugs and carrying screwdrivers like shanks in broad daylight. This was around Lake Mead and Belmont. Very unsafe part of town. Most of the Vegas valley, including most of NLV are very safe, but we have our pockets. That's one of them.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:08 AM

89 posts, read 116,079 times
That depends on where you are looking in Centennial Hills. I live just south of Ann and west of Durango in the rural estate area. It's a bit out of the way, really boring, lots of kids and such. I would avoid anything north of Tropical and those horrible transient communities in the Providence area. The Grand Monticeto shopping center opened in October 2005 a few months after I moved into my home. The Smith's and everything else in that center has gone way, way way down and don't go there after sunset - frankly, I no longer shop at that center at all.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:24 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,781,352 times
Quote:

LOL
I lived in West Roxbury for a time. I'm not a Bostonian, however, as I moved around the country quite a bit in my younger years. We have been here 10 months. I have a joint-membership in fandom LOL.. I have always been a Dodgers fan, but was fortunate enough to attend every World Series and playoff game at Fenway in 2004, and that experience made me a Sox fan. As long as someone is beating the Yankees, I'm happy

Old 04-09-2014, 10:59 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xafpilot View Post
That depends on where you are looking in Centennial Hills. I live just south of Ann and west of Durango in the rural estate area. It's a bit out of the way, really boring, lots of kids and such. I would avoid anything north of Tropical and those horrible transient communities in the Providence area. The Grand Monticeto shopping center opened in October 2005 a few months after I moved into my home. The Smith's and everything else in that center has gone way, way way down and don't go there after sunset - frankly, I no longer shop at that center at all.
The problem with some of those homes out there is that they were built during the boom, so they were WAY overpriced. People defaulted and investors scooped them up and put renters (some questionable) in there. I remember when the whole debacle was mid-way, a friend of mine said, "Tomorrow's slums come with granite counter tops." Wise words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas