Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 07:54 AM

5 posts, read 5,596 times

Advertisements

I scanned the posts here and went through the sticky but I've not found a good list of repair, remodel, etc companies. If I missed something please feel free to post a link instead of writing it all out again.

We are moving this summer and are going to have a lot of work done on the house before we get there.

We are looking for minor roof repairs (tiles out of place and a couple have holes), tear up carpet and tile and replace with wood and tile, remove wallpaper and some mirrors on walls, repair of same walls, painting, removal of mirrored closet doors and replacement, painting, addition of crown moulding, Jacuzzi repair (motor doesn't run when the button is pushed), estimates of remodeling the master bath from the Jacuzzi to a walk in shower and the guest bath from a walk in shower to a soaking tub, replacement of the slider with a french door...

You get the idea.

We will be moving to Sun City Summerlin and know there must be people or companies in the area that are reputable, but we have no idea who to contact.

Any help is greatly appreciated. We have a lot of work to accomplish before we move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 09:41 AM

421 posts, read 898,478 times
Angie's List will be your best resource.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:19 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,990,912 times
There is simply no way I would let a company do flooring unsupervised. In fact, there is simply no way I would let a company do any of that laundry list of repairs and improvements unsupervised. Things you will hear on a Las Vegas jobsite: "Close enough." "Can't see it from my house." "If I can jump across it, I can caulk it."

At least there's nothing to steal in an empty house.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:48 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,669,562 times
I always used Las Vegas Handyman (the name of the company) for smaller stuff and have been very happy with their service everytime.

For flooring and carpet I do NOT recommend Lowes...shoddy work in my experience from their sub contrators also left my house with the front door wide open and used one of MY coffee cups to mix some sort of caulk!
NEVER AGAIN!.

There is/ was a great flooring place on W Lake Mead Blvd near buffalo...same strip mall as Micheals I do believe.
Highly satisfied with their products and workmanship. Those guys did a fantastic job on my carpet and cork flooring.
Hopefully someone on here will know what business I am talking about and post the name...its a big store with a large selection of flooring.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:53 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,669,562 times
I hope someone will come forward with a reasonable company for roof repairs...my dealings with the onses I have used have not been positive...a lot of scam artists out there...had someone quote me $500 bucks to replace TWO tilessaying the tiles were no longer made (which wasn't true).

Becareful...if something seems questionable it probably is.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:56 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,783,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
There is simply no way I would let a company do flooring unsupervised. In fact, there is simply no way I would let a company do any of that laundry list of repairs and improvements unsupervised. Things you will hear on a Las Vegas jobsite: "Close enough." "Can't see it from my house." "If I can jump across it, I can caulk it."

At least there's nothing to steal in an empty house.
That's a big point of concern. My neighbor across the street has had a ton of contractors doing work at his house for the past month. They repainted the outside, did tons of landscaping, and looks like they did some flooring. A couple days ago AlertID sends me an email. Yep, his house was burglarized last week.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:36 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,318,805 times
I'm glad I checked in today as I live in SC Summerlin and can help with many things.

First, I would check our monthly magazine, which you can bring up online, called the Link. I believe you could find it by searching under Sun City Summerlin Link magazine. It's full of supplier ads, many of them individuals who live here.

Secondly, as someone else posted previously, I would never, ever hire anyone to do work in my home without first meeting them, checking them out, getting references and then supervising the work. I just can't imagine how you would do it, especially with the experiences of being there first hand. Is there some reason you must have all this done beforehand? I know living thru it is a great deal of inconvenience and disruption but it really is the only way to do I firmly believe

If you would like to DM me, I'm sure I can get more specific and be more helpful.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjameson922 View Post
I'm glad I checked in today as I live in SC Summerlin and can help with many things.

First, I would check our monthly magazine, which you can bring up online, called the Link. I believe you could find it by searching under Sun City Summerlin Link magazine. It's full of supplier ads, many of them individuals who live here.

Secondly, as someone else posted previously, I would never, ever hire anyone to do work in my home without first meeting them, checking them out, getting references and then supervising the work. I just can't imagine how you would do it, especially with the experiences of being there first hand. Is there some reason you must have all this done beforehand? I know living thru it is a great deal of inconvenience and disruption but it really is the only way to do I firmly believe

If you would like to DM me, I'm sure I can get more specific and be more helpful.
We have a house to clean out and sell here, and I can't imagine what my wife's allergies would do if we stayed in a house that was having all that work done to it during the remodel.

Thanks for the ideas. We have considered hiring someone to supervise everything, but have no idea how much it would cost. Yet another service to track down. We will be spending at least a week there during closing and plan on getting quotes for the work and interviewing potential companies.

We may have to change our plans. You never know...

Old 04-09-2014, 03:50 PM

I appreciate the comments regarding not being there to supervise. It's a concern both of us share. Part of the problem is that the entire house will have walls repaired (the gentleman was in a wheel chair and banged up the walls) and removing the mirrors will ruin the sheet rock. After that's done the entire house will be repainted, and all the flooring removed and new put in.

So it's either move all the furniture, perhaps on a daily basis, or store it until the house is done. Makes me wonder if a decent supervisor would cost less than the storage fees. Somehow I doubt it.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:09 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,783,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westward Slide View Post
I appreciate the comments regarding not being there to supervise. It's a concern both of us share. Part of the problem is that the entire house will have walls repaired (the gentleman was in a wheel chair and banged up the walls) and removing the mirrors will ruin the sheet rock. After that's done the entire house will be repainted, and all the flooring removed and new put in.

So it's either move all the furniture, perhaps on a daily basis, or store it until the house is done. Makes me wonder if a decent supervisor would cost less than the storage fees. Somehow I doubt it.
You can get a large storage unit for about $200/mo (usually first month is free or $1) That will hold a 2 bedroom house, figure a 10' x 25' if you stack it like you're playing Tetris. Even if you got 2 of them for a month, that's $400. My guess would be you couldn't get someone to supervise for $400.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: