Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 02:18 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,115,265 times

Advertisements

No hoa for me. I like my cars on blocks. I want to put a rusty swingset in the front yard if I so choose.
I will be damned if some ***** tells me what I can and can not do on my property.

I am planting trees all around my property so no one can see in and a big ass gate.

That being said I really do want a clean yard and nice looking property.
I won't buy a house without a garage so my cars on blocks will be inside.
I enjoy tinkering with automobiles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 02:33 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,679,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
Pretty condescending. I'm currently living an a non hoa area in green valley and none of the commonly passed around horror stories are happening. In fact, the houses here are very well kept and everyone is friendly.
What non-HOA streets around Green Valley? I want to check it out.

Reason for me wanting non-HOA because of architectural ordinances. I am more of a future modern style home.

I do see mini-HOA areas of 4-10 homes. They are worth considering if they allow my type of house style.

Old 04-13-2014, 03:20 PM

700 posts, read 1,329,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I divide my time between two homes. One is in a fairly reasonable HOA (or at least it used to be until they changed management companies) and the other is in a non-HOA neighborhood on a cul-de-sac.

The draw-backs of the non-Hoa house include the fact that residents are not held to any standards when it comes to front-yard upkeep (and some of them blindly ignore it), the junk cars, and no pretty common areas.

The benefits of the non-HOA house are the fact that we can plant whatever we want, if a stupid weed is on the side yard, we don't get a nastygram, and no fees.

The benefits of my HOA house include the fact that though the neighborhood is approaching fifteen years old, it still looks new, we have common areas and doggie-poo stations with free bags, and you have some relief if the neighbor decides to paint his house bubble-gum pink or put carpet on the front driveway (this happened to someone I know)

Ive heard this crap so many times I think it's taken a on a life of its own. Show me on google street view someone's house that is very markedly different from its neighbors. Cars in disrepair Ive seen myself, but the off colored house I really believe is a non issue.

Old 04-13-2014, 05:48 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,783,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demoknite View Post
Ive heard this crap so many times I think it's taken a on a life of its own. Show me on google street view someone's house that is very markedly different from its neighbors. Cars in disrepair Ive seen myself, but the off colored house I really believe is a non issue.
I'll have to remember where I was (I'm thinking somewhere off Windmill), but there is a very bright seafoam green house in the middle of the typical 50 Shades of Beige.. I'll have to do some searching for a pic (or snap one the next time I go by)

Old 04-13-2014, 09:29 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,669,562 times
Quote:
I don't know if it remains pink but there was a VERY pink house IN MY HOA run neighborhood for 11 years...no idea how why this was tolerated... I assume the board approved the color prior not realizing how unsightly it was actually going to look on a two story home. My rental there is a very muted pink-ish coral...maybe that's what they were going for.

Personally, I don't like the exclusively white neighborhoods...I prefer color as long as its tastefully done.
Kind of on the fence what color I will go with when repainting...my HOA has apparently started approving more colors.
I do wonder though if a darker color would increase cooling costs in the summer.

I'm not a fan of very restrictive HOAs...I don't care if kids play basketball in the driveways, that's better (in my mind) then having them bored and roaming the streets and I don't care for everything looking alike. Neat is one thing alike is just ridiculos.

Old 04-14-2014, 02:52 AM

2,719 posts, read 3,490,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreRJ View Post
Not all HOA's are the same. I've dealt with 3 different management for HOAs in our community and they all are filled with dumb people working there. Some go on vacation while you have issues and when you ask to talk to someone, they reply back, EVERYTHING WILL BE OKAY! even though there's no such allowances in the hoa's rules. They just do what they want. Others are filled with anal retentive agents who want to write you up for the trash can being out too late or some other crap. Then you fix your problem and email them pictures and two weeks later, you think it's been resolved but they say you did't fix it. They don't bother to even read their mail or look back at the pictures we sent in. They somehow don't know how to look at the past emails or pictures but they sure do like updating their damn facebook pages with crap.

Hate the losers working at the HOA management companies but it you want to live in one, make sure are you involved and know board members so they don't mess with you.
I'm in good terms with the current Homeowners Association President, he leaves me alone but then again, not only do I take care of my property, I also take care of the surrounding area in my building. My yard and the common area yard around my building looks like it is one of the gardens at the Springs Preserve! All the neighbors love it, hahahaha!

Old 04-14-2014, 08:14 PM

700 posts, read 1,329,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
I don't know if it remains pink but there was a VERY pink house IN MY HOA run neighborhood for 11 years...no idea how why this was tolerated... I assume the board approved the color prior not realizing how unsightly it was actually going to look on a two story home. My rental there is a very muted pink-ish coral...maybe that's what they were going for.

Personally, I don't like the exclusively white neighborhoods...I prefer color as long as its tastefully done.
Kind of on the fence what color I will go with when repainting...my HOA has apparently started approving more colors.
I do wonder though if a darker color would increase cooling costs in the summer.

I'm not a fan of very restrictive HOAs...I don't care if kids play basketball in the driveways, that's better (in my mind) then having them bored and roaming the streets and I don't care for everything looking alike. Neat is one thing alike is just ridiculos.

So then the question is (and be completely honest) did that one pink house affect anyones home values (sale or rental)? While I agree that HOAs serve a purpose of keeping some housing blocks in order, if an area is desirable then people will move there even if one of the houses on the block is pink or if an eccentric neighbor has a couple of classic cars waiting to be repaired for the last ten years.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:33 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,669,562 times
Quote:
So then the question is (and be completely honest) did that one pink house affect anyones home values (sale or rental)? While I agree that HOAs serve a purpose of keeping some housing blocks in order, if an area is desirable then people will move there even if one of the houses on the block is pink or if an eccentric neighbor has a couple of classic cars waiting to be repaired for the last ten years.
While I fall into the totally anti-HOA camp, I don't think it affected values but it may have turned some perspective buyers off who were interested in neighboring properties.

I'd take a pink house on the block over being hassled day in and day out by an HOA no question.. but lucky me...I got BOTH!

Old 04-14-2014, 08:58 PM

200 posts, read 271,190 times
My plan is to get elected as HOA president and then rule the HOA with an iron fist.

The rule during my tenure as HOA president is that peoples property is their own to do with what they please. If you don't like what your neighbor is doing, build a bigger fence so you don't have to see it. And keep your eyes on the road when you're driving past.

One persons pink house eyesore is another persons beautiful artistic individualistic masterpiece. Well, at least it will be during my tenure as HOA president.

Or maybe I'll just go along with the HOA rules because I'm too busy enjoying the Vegas life to waste my time caring about HOA crap or being the HOA president.

Old 04-15-2014, 01:15 PM

519 posts, read 603,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
I'll have to remember where I was (I'm thinking somewhere off Windmill), but there is a very bright seafoam green house in the middle of the typical 50 Shades of Beige.. I'll have to do some searching for a pic (or snap one the next time I go by)
Lol I'm pretty sure that I know the exact house that you're talking about and yes, you can see it while driving down Windmill.

Personally, if I lived in that neighborhood I wouldn't care at all. If someone is paying their (presumably) hard earned money for a home, I don't see why I or any organization would have any standing to tell them what color to paint it. If someone's favorite color is seafoam green, I say go for it...but that's just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas