Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 08:51 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,679,690 times

Advertisements

Whats your opinion?

HOA does have its benefits. To me, it feels like way too homogenous. However, I do like the planned streets and landscaping around the HOA community.

If you don't live in an HOA, what are your struggles as landlords?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 09:35 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times
I do live in a HOA (never have before) and at first I was apprehensive but i've grown to get used to it....I drive down decatur or jones and look at the homes that aren't in the HOAs. They are dumps, trash everywhere, cars on blocks, etc... so that alone is something to consider when deciding whether or not to buy in a hoa.

Old 04-12-2014, 10:34 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,785,752 times
This is the first time living in an HOA for us. After being here almost a year, I would prefer to always live in one. As Airics pointed out, you can drive through the city and instantly see which neighborhoods have them and which don't. I like living in a neighborhood that looks like a resort.

Old 04-12-2014, 11:45 PM

347 posts, read 542,550 times
Not all HOA's are the same. I've dealt with 3 different management for HOAs in our community and they all are filled with dumb people working there. Some go on vacation while you have issues and when you ask to talk to someone, they reply back, EVERYTHING WILL BE OKAY! even though there's no such allowances in the hoa's rules. They just do what they want. Others are filled with anal retentive agents who want to write you up for the trash can being out too late or some other crap. Then you fix your problem and email them pictures and two weeks later, you think it's been resolved but they say you did't fix it. They don't bother to even read their mail or look back at the pictures we sent in. They somehow don't know how to look at the past emails or pictures but they sure do like updating their damn facebook pages with crap.

Hate the losers working at the HOA management companies but it you want to live in one, make sure are you involved and know board members so they don't mess with you.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:40 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,679,690 times
I think I am fine as long as I have 6 foot walls around my plot of land. It's my own world inside that I care about hehe.

I don't really like any of the homes.

But we are indeed renting in HOA, might end up liking it.

Old 04-13-2014, 10:20 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,319,508 times
You'e renting so you have no concept of the real world. If you've saved money for years to buy a home that will be an investment, you want it protected as much as possible. Now you can live in your little walled house and of course, it doesn't affect your pocketbook in any way as the houses in the neighborhood go down the tubes.

Old 04-13-2014, 11:39 AM

2,557 posts, read 4,568,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjameson922 View Post
You'e renting so you have no concept of the real world.
Pretty condescending. I'm currently living an a non hoa area in green valley and none of the commonly passed around horror stories are happening. In fact, the houses here are very well kept and everyone is friendly.

Old 04-13-2014, 11:48 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,785,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
Pretty condescending. I'm currently living an a non hoa area in green valley and none of the commonly passed around horror stories are happening. In fact, the houses here are very well kept and everyone is friendly.
I was thinking the same thing. I'm renting at the moment, but have owned multiple houses, traveled the world, owned companies, have a family... I'm wondering when I'll get a "concept of the real world"

Old 04-13-2014, 01:51 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
It's one of those things that isn't a problem until it affects you directly. It isn't hard to drive around town and tell the HOA neighborhoods from the non-HOA neighborhoods, particularly in the area of town where I live.

The non-HOA neighborhoods always seem to have that one hoarder who keeps a dozen rusty Willys jeeps in the yard, because he's going to "fix them up someday."

Old 04-13-2014, 02:03 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
I divide my time between two homes. One is in a fairly reasonable HOA (or at least it used to be until they changed management companies) and the other is in a non-HOA neighborhood on a cul-de-sac.

The draw-backs of the non-Hoa house include the fact that residents are not held to any standards when it comes to front-yard upkeep (and some of them blindly ignore it), the junk cars, and no pretty common areas.

The benefits of the non-HOA house are the fact that we can plant whatever we want, if a stupid weed is on the side yard, we don't get a nastygram, and no fees.

The benefits of my HOA house include the fact that though the neighborhood is approaching fifteen years old, it still looks new, we have common areas and doggie-poo stations with free bags, and you have some relief if the neighbor decides to paint his house bubble-gum pink or put carpet on the front driveway (this happened to someone I know)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas