Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 04:13 PM

27 posts, read 67,710 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine is thinking about relocating to the Las Vegas area and almost all home are in a community that has a home owners association. She doesn't want to be told what she can and can't do with her home she pays for.
Is HOA associations a pain in las vegas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 04:54 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,949,242 times
It depends if she wants to live in a neighborhood like this:

OR LIKE THIS:

The choice should be clear.

Old 04-14-2014, 05:24 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,671,817 times
They CAN be a major pain but it totally depends on the board members and how/ what is chosen to be enforce.

I would not buy in one in Vegas again without knowing people in the community and hearing from them.

The one I have here in Tx has been NO problem and its a much more upscale neighborhood.

I have friends in Desert Shores (various neighborhoods) who have had no real problems that I know of.

If your friend hires a gardner for the lawn (not expensive) and is a normal person with normal habits they shouldn't have too much of a problem though.

And not ALL neighborhoods without HOAs have houses like the one pictured above.
That is pretty extreme.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:28 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,546,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
It depends if she wants to live in a neighborhood like this:

OR LIKE THIS:

The choice should be clear.
You ain't kidding!

Old 04-14-2014, 11:02 PM

1,828 posts, read 5,313,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImMe1018 View Post
Is HOA associations a pain in las vegas?
Mine isn't, but they aren't some conglomerate. They are specific to your neighborhood, overseen by your neighbors, and potentially run by one of the dozens of property management company's in the valley.

Currently my neighborhood is being managed by First Service Residential; they have been great IMO and are more responsive while being less petty/intrusive than the last one that the HOA terminated service with.

Old 04-14-2014, 11:08 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
That's it. The next time I visit my mother-in-law, I'm going to take a picture of the houses on her street, and the houses two streets over. Built same time, same developer, same floorplans, same everything -- except mom has a neighborhood HOA (no management company, the 45 residents do it themselves), and the other neighborhood has no HOA.

The difference is night and day. The non-HOA neighborhood is littered with toys, junk cars on the streets, dead trees, exterior paint is crap, etc. Mom's neighborhood looks like it was built yesterday. Prices are $100K higher in mom's neighborhood.

Think about it, is the ability to keep a junk car up on cement blocks in your front yard worth $100K to you?

Old 04-15-2014, 08:06 AM

930 posts, read 1,818,280 times
section 10 is not HOA..custom homes mostly built mid 80's to mid 90's. almost all yards/properties well maintained. area bordered by Buffalo/Rainbow/Sahara/Desert Inn.

I have a home for sale in that area and the no HOA factor is a major selling point.... no fees and no strict rules

Old 04-15-2014, 08:19 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,675,163 times
When I first moved to a home with a n HOA, it annoyed the heck out of me. I was always getting letters for petty things (hose stretched out, garbage can not put away, etc). After a while, however, I realized that these were just courtesy notices and to not take them personally. Having an HOA has kept my neighborhood from deteriorating, which seems to happen more rapidly in Las Vegas than in other places. There is a similar neighborhood to mine a mile or two away that is not HOA, and they are deteriorating rapidly. The difference is night and day.

There have been problems with some HOA's. Before buying, I would knock on some doors in the neighborhood and ask. When an HOA goes bad, it gets ugly.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:20 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,679,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvc8 View Post
section 10 is not HOA..custom homes mostly built mid 80's to mid 90's. almost all yards/properties well maintained. area bordered by Buffalo/Rainbow/Sahara/Desert Inn.

I have a home for sale in that area and the no HOA factor is a major selling point.... no fees and no strict rules
Where is this? Do you have zip code? I want to look at this area.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:39 AM

930 posts, read 1,818,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winter-rabbit View Post
Where is this? Do you have zip code? I want to look at this area.
go to zillow.com
zipcode 89117 but thats a large area. section 10 just a small part of the zip code

Las Vegas HOA?-section-10.png
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: