Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 07:12 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,564,103 times

Advertisements

Have you looked at the Reno/Carson/Tahoe area? We just got back from there and absolutely loved it. It is NOT the vegas vibe at all, but has great entertainment options and beautiful mountains. I know it does snow up there, but probably not too much in the Reno valley. There is a ton of new development out there, but when we looked at prices (comparing to where we live in LA), we were shocked! Cheap! Beautiful! Fun! You're from Utah so I'm sure you've done Reno before, but I loved it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 07:15 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,886,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
You do not listen. There is a well developed fringe to Las Vegas with relatively cheap land. It is better than most places in the US. You can as well go to Pahrump or Overton for an even better deal. Disadvantage though is cheap land does not have broad band internet. So if you really want 2 to 5 acres with fast internet I doubt you will find anywhere better than the edges of Las Vegas...and even then you have to be careful to make sure the internet is there....it varies by culdesac.

Tucson will be similar. If you get into nice Tucson it will be too expensive. If you get into the distant places there will be no fast internet.

this is not hard. You are trying to get a major urban facility call high speed internet but you want the price of places that don't have high speed internet.

Make up your mind what you want.
This is not true. The fringe of Las Vegas is not cheap land. The fringe sells for some of the highest prices in the Valley during the infrequent times land is sold for development. Thank the BLM and government ownership of land for this. To get the desired setup Pahrump is probably the best option.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:43 PM

78 posts, read 311,635 times
I think OP's main question seems to be, why isn't there cheap bedroom communities/towns around LV ?

The reasons probably are

a) Most outskirt land is owned by BLM and strictly controlled
b) It probably costs a lot more to bring in infrastructure in LV than other cities
c) You really need the supporting infrastructure in a desert. Can't dig a well for water, for example.
d) Lastly, this is mostly a city with transient population and does not double in size/population every 5-10 years

My $0.02

Old 04-17-2014, 08:57 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,800,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
This is not true. The fringe of Las Vegas is not cheap land. The fringe sells for some of the highest prices in the Valley during the infrequent times land is sold for development. Thank the BLM and government ownership of land for this. To get the desired setup Pahrump is probably the best option.
Nonsense. We are talking about buying a half acre. There are lots of peripheral places where you can buy a couple of acres for around $250,000.

If you want a few thousand acres for a master plan it will cost a lot more. Different market.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:17 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,552,260 times
Quote:
You do not listen. There is a well developed fringe to Las Vegas with relatively cheap land. It is better than most places in the US. You can as well go to Pahrump or Overton for an even better deal. Disadvantage though is cheap land does not have broad band internet. So if you really want 2 to 5 acres with fast internet I doubt you will find anywhere better than the edges of Las Vegas...and even then you have to be careful to make sure the internet is there....it varies by culdesac.

Tucson will be similar. If you get into nice Tucson it will be too expensive. If you get into the distant places there will be no fast internet.

this is not hard. You are trying to get a major urban facility call high speed internet but you want the price of places that don't have high speed internet.

Make up your mind what you want.
lvoc, laying down hard truths and wisdom for the masses.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:09 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,886,305 times
Quote:
Nonsense. We are talking about buying a half acre. There are lots of peripheral places where you can buy a couple of acres for around $250,000.

If you want a few thousand acres for a master plan it will cost a lot more. Different market.
A couple acres for 250k was what the OP said he didn't want to pay. That price is expensive relative to a similar "fringe" of most cities in the west, coastal cities excepted.

I think a listing like this one, albeit in a warmer place, is what the OP is looking for. I seriously doubt you would find something like this at this price point within 30 minutes of Las Vegas because of government owned land. There are places like this in Northern Nevada as you go east of Reno and Carson City, but not sure if that would meet the criteria either.

Colorado Springs, El Paso County, Colorado land for sale - 35.15 acres at LandWatch.com

Old 04-18-2014, 04:17 AM

8 posts, read 20,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanb View Post
I think OP's main question seems to be, why isn't there cheap bedroom communities/towns around LV ?

The reasons probably are

a) Most outskirt land is owned by BLM and strictly controlled
b) It probably costs a lot more to bring in infrastructure in LV than other cities
c) You really need the supporting infrastructure in a desert. Can't dig a well for water, for example.
d) Lastly, this is mostly a city with transient population and does not double in size/population every 5-10 years

My $0.02
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
A couple acres for 250k was what the OP said he didn't want to pay. That price is expensive relative to a similar "fringe" of most cities in the west, coastal cities excepted.

I think a listing like this one, albeit in a warmer place, is what the OP is looking for. I seriously doubt you would find something like this at this price point within 30 minutes of Las Vegas because of government owned land. There are places like this in Northern Nevada as you go east of Reno and Carson City, but not sure if that would meet the criteria either.

Colorado Springs, El Paso County, Colorado land for sale - 35.15 acres at LandWatch.com
Well BLM makes sense then... honestly what concerns me the most about spending 200k an acre is the risk. What happens if BLM opens up a couple thousand acres of land for sale and those cheaper outskirt communities pop up?

My 500k investment for 1 an acre with a house becomes worth 200k? When I see a land value at only 40k an acre, I figure it doesn't have very far to fall! It just seems so risky to spend so much money, though it would be worth it if land value would (likely) stay that way.

It seems to me like Vegas could be a very volatile market, especially if the BLM becomes unpredictable. Is there anyway to see what the BLM plans to do in the future about vacant lands outside the city?

Old 04-18-2014, 11:22 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,582,203 times
The thing about the BLM is that when they do open up land, it's for development, meaning that it will sell in multiple-hundred acre parcels. This, in turn, is turned into 10 to an acre housing for the masses. So even if those pop-up communities occur, they will be with, at-most, half-acre lots, and mostly much smaller than that.

Old 04-19-2014, 02:17 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
Unfortunately, that defeats the point of no snow. My first thought was Texas, but that's a hike from SoCal
My first thought is Texas too.

Old 04-19-2014, 02:19 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBiking View Post
I thought Mesquite, NV had large acreage and ranch homes??? It's about 90 minutes from Las Vegas and 25 minutes from St. George. Mesquite is small so I'm not sure if that's OK for your needs. There's always Pahrump. Less expensive than Las Vegas.

-Cheers.
Mesquite is a weird place, imo, and she doesn't like mormons. But for land prices, yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas