Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 05:54 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,566,196 times

Advertisements

So I made the move to green valley Henderson earlier this year from the trop/pecos area. To my surprise at the time my car insurance rates went up. Then, last night my car was broken into, in my driveway of all spots. The even stranger part of the situation is that there was no forced entry. Criminals apparently have universal car openers now from what I hear. Then on top of it, nothing was taken. GPS overlooked and my things just moved around. As for the question, has anyone here had anything like this happen to them or heard about the universal car openers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 07:23 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,807,414 times
New one to me about the openers but what you may have experienced was druggies trying to steal the car to live in YES!!! They Jack cars and live in them for a few days and then dump them for another. They got into your car but could not start it. The reason they do not load up on stuff is if they get caught and arrested they are prosecuted for stealing but if it is a car thief they are out of jail in hours because there is not enough room for them. I know someone who had this happen to them and their car as found in the Green Valley area with the needles and crap in it. The person's who Jacked it was out in hours. If you have a garage keep the car in it. Sorry to hear about what happen and it does not matter where you live.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:46 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,587,847 times
Additionally if you leave your window cracked it is very easy for them to push the window down even on power windows.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:02 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,781,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
So I made the move to green valley Henderson earlier this year from the trop/pecos area. To my surprise at the time my car insurance rates went up. Then, last night my car was broken into, in my driveway of all spots. The even stranger part of the situation is that there was no forced entry. Criminals apparently have universal car openers now from what I hear. Then on top of it, nothing was taken. GPS overlooked and my things just moved around. As for the question, has anyone here had anything like this happen to them or heard about the universal car openers?
I haven't heard of that technique, and fortunately haven't had it happen to me, and we live in the same neighborhood. Car burglaries (and the rare home burglaries) are pretty much the only crimes in our neighborhood according to Alert ID. Every now and then there will be an assault or a narcotics report, but those are normally on the edges of the area (Eastern, Pecos, or over in the Stephanie & Gibson areas). The middle of Green Valley is pretty calm.

We normally park in the garage, but at the moment, it's full of stuff we're selling for a friend who moved out of the valley and didn't want to take all of her stuff. I'm hoping it sells soon, as I miss my garage!

Old 04-29-2014, 09:12 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
We normally park in the garage, but at the moment, it's full of stuff we're selling for a friend who moved out of the valley and didn't want to take all of her stuff. I'm hoping it sells soon, as I miss my garage!
That's how our car was stolen. I had the garage full of lumber when I was finishing the house. The car was stolen two days later. Metro found it six months later, a stripped out hulk.

I would have insisted the friend get a storage unit. This falls squarely into the "not my freakin' problem" category.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
That's how our car was stolen. I had the garage full of lumber when I was finishing the house. The car was stolen two days later. Metro found it six months later, a stripped out hulk.

I would have insisted the friend get a storage unit. This falls squarely into the "not my freakin' problem" category.
She didn't have the money and was in an abusive situation. I could have told her no, but I wasn't willing to leave her high and dry. No, not my problem, but it was the right thing to do for a little inconvenience.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:16 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times
That's fine as long as your car doesn't get stolen. Ours did after I assured my wife that nobody would want to steal an old Acura with almost 200K miles on it.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
That's fine as long as your car doesn't get stolen. Ours did after I assured my wife that nobody would want to steal an old Acura with almost 200K miles on it.
At this point, our car being stolen would be the best thing. We owe over book and have gap insurance

Old 04-29-2014, 06:06 PM

1,828 posts, read 5,311,975 times
If you have ever watched a locksmith, a plastic window/door wedge and a grabber/poker tool is typically used to unlock a car door in 30 seconds, no damage.

This guy demonstrates several effective wedges, including a 99 cent doorstop: How to Retrieve Keys Locked in a Car : Wedge Tool…: http://youtu.be/P82nlvqdyHI

Old 04-29-2014, 08:14 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
In the 18 years I've lived here, same location, Desert Inn/Pecos, Zip 89121, I had my car window smashed in only once. They didn't steal the car, I had left a leather coat sitting on the passenger seat!

My Jesus-loving co-worker, on Sunday, accidentally left her purse in her car, in a church parking lot, she has parked in that same space for 9 years, window broken, purse gone! Now here's a woman who has Jesus loving bumper stickers on her car, Jesus Will Protect You, Jesus Loves You, and? Sort of makes you smile, doesn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas