Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 11:12 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjtjtjt View Post
training and attitude adjustment for parents and kids

Your idea was feasible until you got to that part.

The only bad thing about my neighborhood is it's proximity to a high school. As soon as school lets out, parents race down my quiet, sleepy, suburban street at 70mph trying to beat all the rest of the freakin' idiots past the stop signs and stop lights. Eventually, someone is going to be killed by one of these road-rage, speed-demon, freakin'-idiot parents. And then maybe the city or the schools or my HOA will do something about it.

But not until. Preventative mitigation just isn't extant in my area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 05:07 PM

200 posts, read 271,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Your idea was feasible until you got to that part.
Cynical much? lol.

Politeness, civility, and respect for others are required for a civilized society. Some people learn it to avoid punishment, some people learn it to get a bigger tip, some people never learn it. And some people learn it because they realize it makes the world a better place and they'd like to see that happen.

Send flyers home with all the kids about the new drop off / pickup arrangements with lots of nice nice words. Then punish the offenders with tickets by the cops. Maybe it won't work completely but it could be an improvement.

Old 05-01-2014, 05:18 PM

Default high score

Evidently, there were some complaints about speeding in our neighborhood and the cops put up one of those radar instant feedback things right in front of my house. It does a radar measurement as you approach and then shows your current speed in big lights.

I wanted to put up a High Score poster on the thing but the wife wouldn't let me. Kinda sorta like this:
Attached Thumbnails
Issue with school safety, CCSD will not help-highscore.jpg  

Old 05-01-2014, 10:10 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,552,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
Okay, I have not had this experience at the airport. I white knuckle it every time I have to drop someone off. I think, though, we are talking about two different parts of the airport.
Even the taxis don't pull to the far right when dropping off passengers, let alone other drivers. Airport is probably not the best example of efficient drop off procedures.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:37 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
Perhaps a baseball bat. Hit the car repeatedly.

Old 05-02-2014, 01:28 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjtjtjt View Post
Cynical much? lol.

Politeness, civility, and respect for others are required for a civilized society. Some people learn it to avoid punishment, some people learn it to get a bigger tip, some people never learn it. And some people learn it because they realize it makes the world a better place and they'd like to see that happen.

And some people never learn it at all. The sense of entitlement is particularly strong around school zones at drop-off and pick-up. My commute is a couple miles longer than it needs to be so that I can avoid schools letting out as I leave for work.

The only thing worse in this town is being in the immediate vicinity of MGM when a big show is letting out of the Arena.

Old 05-02-2014, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
Even the taxis don't pull to the far right when dropping off passengers, let alone other drivers. Airport is probably not the best example of efficient drop off procedures.
You are correct for efficient drop off procedures. The airport is not a good example.

I was thinking of the airport pickup procedures. That seems very efficient. Maybe with a little tweeking, something similar could be done for dropoffs?

Old 05-02-2014, 03:24 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,675,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
Maybe I misspoke, but I was making a case against the airport being an example of efficient drop off procedures. Hence, the white knuckles.

Old 05-02-2014, 03:39 PM

529 posts, read 512,340 times
Update: I contacted my county commissioner. They referred me to the state DOT who found me someone inside CCSD whose department handles these problems, which is interesting because the CCSD office has told me several times that school zone safety is not its responsibility and ceased communicating with me about it. The school admin has the same attitude.

I was immediately contacted by the Safe Routes program within CCSD and we tentatively have a review in about a week. It requires participation within the school admin. I'm not sure it will work but at least I found who I was looking for to help try and get the ball rolling. Sitting back and waiting for someone to get run over is not the answer.

Old 05-02-2014, 04:13 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LasVegasPlayer View Post
... Sitting back and waiting for someone to get run over is not the answer.
Good luck. I hope the situation improves.

One suggestion: If you haven't done so already, start taking down names & dates & times of communications & meetings. Having a good record of who said what could prove useful in the future. I suggest taking minutes during meetings & publish those minutes to attendees & interested parties on a timely basis, including assigning deliverables & due dates. An old trick I learned was that the person who publishes the meeting minutes is the person who determines what actually was said & decided. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas