Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 06:07 PM

526 posts, read 832,208 times

Advertisements

Sucks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 06:12 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,335,155 times
Yet it's always so crowded you can't move and lines are long. Must be because no one enjoys it.

Old 05-04-2014, 07:20 PM

8,407 posts, read 4,569,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview6 View Post
I'm feeling lucky that I have never been to any of these Vegas food festivals. Are any of them worthwhile?
We enjoy The Bite of Las Vegas every year. Entrance fee is not too bad, you can usually reduce it by bringing canned food for a donation. Many food options, some chain (Panda, really?) but most are local. They have small sampler portions of their popular items usually about $4. Beer and wine is not too bad at $4. The best part is the music and people watching. Early on they have some local bands on one end, towards the end they have the main liners up front. I've usually heard of 3 of the 5 main bands playing. I think it is sponsored my Mix94 so expect pop. Bring a blanket to sit on.

Old 05-05-2014, 03:24 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,983,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Yet it's always so crowded you can't move and lines are long. Must be because no one enjoys it.
Go through the last few years of "Is the San Gennaro carnival worth it" threads, and you are the lone dissenter in a sea of, "overpriced, low-quality, tourist-trap rip-off" reviews.

Whats your angle?

Old 05-05-2014, 02:46 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,105,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview6 View Post
I'm feeling lucky that I have never been to any of these Vegas food festivals. Are any of them worthwhile?
Bite of Las Vegas isn't bad, and I'm told the Greek Festival is pretty good.

Agreed on San Gennaro. I was really disappointed the one time we went. It also felt dirty. I eat food outside from vendors at the Ren Faire every year and never worry that I'm going to catch something icky, but they can keep the San Gennaro.

Old 05-05-2014, 04:55 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,855,848 times
The admission fees are better spent on Italian sausages, rolls, and peppers from the supermarket. The Asian food festival at the Orleans appears to be a similar waste of time and money. The line to get in was so long that we decided not to wait in it, and instead got dinner inside the Orleans. That was probably a blessing in disguise.

Old 05-05-2014, 05:16 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,983,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
The admission fees are better spent on Italian sausages, rolls, and peppers from the supermarket. The Asian food festival at the Orleans appears to be a similar waste of time and money. The line to get in was so long that we decided not to wait in it, and instead got dinner inside the Orleans. That was probably a blessing in disguise.
Next time, just go to Market 168 at Spring Mountain and Jones. Interesting (and somewhat traditional, "real" Chinese food) and they practically give it away.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:07 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,253,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
Agree completely with the above.

You can eat like a king on Spring Mountain Rd. for very little - Thai, Vietnamese, Chinese BBQ, Dim Sum, etc.

On my last trip to Las Vegas, I had dinner there six out of eight nights and was shocked to see that most dinners were only $10-12 for more food than I could eat.

===========================

One more point.

I have been to literally hundreds of "Taste of XXXXXX" events. Generally, the food is subpar as it is prepared under less than optimal conditions even if the food is prepared by decent chefs.

The ONLY good thing about those events is that it can identify a number of good restaurants in a town that you are not familiar with. I try to get the brochure for the event IN ADVANCE and try out a few of the restaurants at their fixed location.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:19 PM

244 posts, read 439,814 times
I should contact Italian embassy to stop it. Nothing to do with Italy or Italians. How many people speak Italian there? NONE!
Even live music last year was all American.
And yes, food, was very bad. Very low quality.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:25 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,335,155 times
We haven't enjoyed San Gennaro the last few times we were there either, because, in no particular order, it was too crowded and disorganized, too many people pushing strollers which are just a safety hazard, and bumping my legs (if you can't get a sitter-don't go out), the music was not Italian, they allow other ethnic booths (why would you go to the Tally Rally and eat Pilipino food?***), and there are never enough tables and chairs to sit down and eat, and not enough chairs for the entertainment. But this whole thread reminds me of the statement, "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded."

It's like my doctor said about people complaining about their health care results. You only find the disgruntled on the internet. Those who are satisfied never say anything.

And on here you will always find one particular blowhard who is an expert on everything (just ask him), and he hates everything to do with Las Vegas, so he feels obligated to ruin everyone else's experiences too.

San Gennaro, like all festivals, is just something to do to get out of the house. You don't have to look at it any other way unless you just like making yourselves miserable.

BTW: The Greek Festival is the best one to go to, around here anyway.

Now, lets attack the Helldorado celebration. It's only been going on since (I believe) the 1930's, so obviously, nobody likes it either.

***Why would you eat Pilipino food anyway if nobody was holding a gun to your head?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas