U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-08-2014, 01:02 PM
 
1 posts, read 1,653 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hi all,

I recently received an short-term work opportunity at one of the big gaming companies in a corporate role. It's super exciting because I have always wanted to experience living in LV and see if it's a good fit long term. Will be here from July to December, and I'm looking for a nice place to live.

About me: I am in my mid 20s, male, single, enjoys going out, exercising, hiking & nature, and of course poker & blackjack. Ideally, I'd like something on the strip or very close (not sure if I am going to buy a car yet) -- but still safe and reasonably priced. My budget is ~$1500 per month for rent & utilities. I'm OK with a studio or 1 bedroom, and don't care much about size as long as it's over 500 sq ft. Must be furnished as well.

I have done some research on this forum and just via Google, and I've narrowed it down to a couple places. Can any of you share thoughts on:

The Meridian - I checked google maps and it's about a 13 minute walk to work. How safe is this place? I heard it can be a hot spot for drug dealers? Also, do a lot of people walk to work in Vegas? I am concerned that I will be drenched in sweat when I show up to office, especially in the summer weather.

Veer Towers - Have they fixed the issue with the wind causing the noise? It seems like it was a problem in 2011 or so but they did some renovations.

MGM Signature - A bit out of my price range, and also a bit farther from my office. Are there any issues that I should be aware of? Is it possible to get a unit under $1500?

Are there any other buildings I should check out? Would also love to hear your thoughts the best way I can try to find owners who are willing to do short-term rentals.

I know that was a barrage of questions. But any and all advice is much appreciated - thank you!

Last edited by bulldog987; 05-08-2014 at 01:42 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-08-2014, 02:49 PM
 
2,180 posts, read 4,148,834 times
Reputation: 1077
I'd get a detached myself, highrise living is over rated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2014, 02:56 PM
 
Location: Sunrise
10,865 posts, read 15,572,437 times
Reputation: 9053
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog987 View Post
Also, do a lot of people walk to work in Vegas?
Yes, a lot of people walk to work -- the homeless guys who beg for spare change at every other intersection.

Living in those high-rise towers is WAY overrated. There are no markets in the area for "normal, everyday life." Unless you're wealthy enough that Fashion Show Mall constitutes "normal" and "everyday." In which case, perhaps you'd like to front me the money for a Picasso (which are for sale at Fashion Show). But grocery stores, clothing that isn't "high couture" and the little incidentals of life are basically non-existent.

Just be like absolutely everyone else, rent a home in Summerlin, and commute.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2014, 07:18 PM
 
13,603 posts, read 11,647,899 times
Reputation: 17741
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog987 View Post
Hi all,

I recently received an short-term work opportunity at one of the big gaming companies in a corporate role. It's super exciting because I have always wanted to experience living in LV and see if it's a good fit long term. Will be here from July to December, and I'm looking for a nice place to live.

About me: I am in my mid 20s, male, single, enjoys going out, exercising, hiking & nature, and of course poker & blackjack. Ideally, I'd like something on the strip or very close (not sure if I am going to buy a car yet) -- but still safe and reasonably priced. My budget is ~$1500 per month for rent & utilities. I'm OK with a studio or 1 bedroom, and don't care much about size as long as it's over 500 sq ft. Must be furnished as well.

Buy your own furniture. You can do this very inexpensively. I mean, what do you need? A comfy bed, a dresser and night stand with lamp for the bedroom. A couch, and chair or loveseat, coffee table, another lamp and a decent TV for the living room, a table and chairs and some basics for the kitchen? You can find some very stylish stuff when the World Market Center clears out after a show.

Craigslist, Colleen's Consignment and Deseret Industries are your friend.

You NEED a car. Not negotiable. Life in summer in Vegas is hell. Throw in no vehicle and you're in the seventh circle.

I have done some research on this forum and just via Google, and I've narrowed it down to a couple places. Can any of you share thoughts on:

The Meridian - I checked google maps and it's about a 13 minute walk to work. How safe is this place? I heard it can be a hot spot for drug dealers? Also, do a lot of people walk to work in Vegas? I am concerned that I will be drenched in sweat when I show up to office, especially in the summer weather. You will smell like a bum with an expensive after shave by the time you get to work. Thirteen minutes at 110f will effectively bake an egg on the sidewalk. Any questions?

Veer Towers - Have they fixed the issue with the wind causing the noise? It seems like it was a problem in 2011 or so but they did some renovations.

MGM Signature - A bit out of my price range, and also a bit farther from my office. Are there any issues that I should be aware of? Is it possible to get a unit under $1500?

Are there any other buildings I should check out? Would also love to hear your thoughts the best way I can try to find owners who are willing to do short-term rentals.

I know that was a barrage of questions. But any and all advice is much appreciated - thank you!

It sounds to me like you might enjoy the southwest side of town near the Redrock Resort-Casino. Close to gaming, close to hiking and gorgeous views, and not a terrible commute if you take DI to the strip. You still need a car, no matter what.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2014, 08:13 PM
 
Location: Here and there, you decide.
12,774 posts, read 25,562,470 times
Reputation: 4860
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Yes, a lot of people walk to work -- the homeless guys who beg for spare change at every other intersection.

Living in those high-rise towers is WAY overrated. There are no markets in the area for "normal, everyday life." Unless you're wealthy enough that Fashion Show Mall constitutes "normal" and "everyday." In which case, perhaps you'd like to front me the money for a Picasso (which are for sale at Fashion Show). But grocery stores, clothing that isn't "high couture" and the little incidentals of life are basically non-existent.

Just be like absolutely everyone else, rent a home in Summerlin, and commute.
That would be a heck of a walk... Even 13 minutes in July...no thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top