Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2014, 11:59 AM

1 posts, read 1,583 times

Advertisements

I was about to make an offer for a 2BR/2BA condo@La Posada and the realtor just informed that there is pending construction defect litigation with the HOA. Does anyone know more about the severity of this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2014, 06:40 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,926,983 times
I've been on jury duty for months and I think I saw this the other day on a District Court Docket.

Old 05-12-2014, 12:37 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,627,964 times
Sorry, I can't post the link from this device but there is a Las Vegas Sun article about this dated 1999.

Complaints were walls cracking, stucco cracking, water intrusion (sp) and faulty plumbing.

According to the story none of the units were determined to be uninhabitable at the time it was written.

Its possible the problems have been resolved by now but even with the great location taken into consideration there are A LOT of other Las Vegas condo projects to choose from. If the unit was a great price its likely this was the reason.

Old 05-12-2014, 06:28 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,798,504 times
Check it out. The HOA should be transparent on the issue - if not, walk. It could be something big, or... well... not.

When I was looking at condos in Las Vegas about 4 years ago I was surprised to learn every one of those big shiny Strip condos had ongoing construction defect suits against contractors. I'm not being dramatic - literally, every single strip condo HOA was suing (most of them over plumbing). And, these suits have been taking several years to wind through the courts. Apparently, it's how the system (ahem) "works" in Nevada.

Bill

Old 05-12-2014, 08:49 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,048,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTES View Post
Check it out. The HOA should be transparent on the issue - if not, walk. It could be something big, or... well... not.

When I was looking at condos in Las Vegas about 4 years ago I was surprised to learn every one of those big shiny Strip condos had ongoing construction defect suits against contractors. I'm not being dramatic - literally, every single strip condo HOA was suing (most of them over plumbing). And, these suits have been taking several years to wind through the courts. Apparently, it's how the system (ahem) "works" in Nevada.

Bill
Yep, and don't forget the big HOA / Construction Defect scam that was investigated by the feds. How many "suicides" were linked to that? Three?

For those that don't live here, there was a group of people (lawyers and other professionals) that stacked the HOA boards of various Vegas communities and immediately sued for construction defects, sending the lucrative work to their buddies when the construction companies paid up to avoid fighting it out in court.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Yep, and don't forget the big HOA / Construction Defect scam that was investigated by the feds. How many "suicides" were linked to that? Three?

For those that don't live here, there was a group of people (lawyers and other professionals) that stacked the HOA boards of various Vegas communities and immediately sued for construction defects, sending the lucrative work to their buddies when the construction companies paid up to avoid fighting it out in court.
I noticed a couple articles on that after I posted.

CRAZY!!!

Old 05-15-2014, 09:31 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,048,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
I noticed a couple articles on that after I posted.

CRAZY!!!
Oh, my bad. It was actually 4 people who committed "suicide". As a matter of fact, one of them also beat himself up and dumped himself in a gated community in Henderson, I believe a few weeks prior to his suicide, but that's not mentioned in this article.

4 defendants in Las Vegas HOA case strike deals to plead guilty | Las Vegas Review-Journal

Old 05-15-2014, 11:26 AM

561 posts, read 676,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoron View Post
I was about to make an offer for a 2BR/2BA condo@La Posada and the realtor just informed that there is pending construction defect litigation with the HOA. Does anyone know more about the severity of this?
Case No. A-11-642098-D. Looks like the HOA is suing the company that performed the repairs.

Old 05-15-2014, 11:56 AM

I wonder if the OP made a decision on this...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas