Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 09:11 AM

256 posts, read 320,814 times

Advertisements

It all depends on how the fans embrace it. Personally, I would love to see Vegas get the team. If they can get a passionate following like Portland or LA then it could really be awesome. Even cities like Dallas are developing a great fan base for their team. MLS is really growing like crazy right now. I've been to several games with friends surprised at how exciting they can be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 09:50 AM

347 posts, read 511,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlloyd87 View Post
It all depends on how the fans embrace it. Personally, I would love to see Vegas get the team. If they can get a passionate following like Portland or LA then it could really be awesome. Even cities like Dallas are developing a great fan base for their team. MLS is really growing like crazy right now. I've been to several games with friends surprised at how exciting they can be.

Its the worlds favorite game with viewing figures that blow American football out of the water.

World Cup (2006):
  • Final: 715.1 million
  • Cumulative: 26.29 billion (est.)
Super Bowl (2010): 106.5 million

As more immigrants come to the states the love of football is coming with them.

Old 05-15-2014, 11:03 AM

555 posts, read 1,258,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisSuarez View Post
This would be awesome. Another team to support apart from my beloved Liverpool FC.

Las Vegas could get pro soccer team, downtown stadium - Las Vegas Sun News

The plans for the stadium look fantastic, but it looks like it's an open air type venue. As others have said, being outdoors in 100+ degree heat will be a major factor in getting people to attend games. Even at night, in summer, the temps are 100 degrees. Not to mention, freezing temps at night in winter. And the wind, don't forget the wind!

I don't know if there is a season that soccer is played mostly, but that would be a big factor in getting people to attend games and become loyal fans as well as everything else that goes with establishing a sports fan base. And tourists are not going to be the major players in game attendance here. And even if the tourists WILL become a major factor in game attendance, wouldn't it make sense to make the fans as comfortable as possible when they pay to come see a game?

I guess I just don't know the reasoning behind the planning and design of these new venues that are proposed to be built and even the ones that have been built already {Tivoli Village, the District, Town Square}, including the new shopping district in Summerlin. These are all being built as "open air" when we have such extreme weather here in Las Vegas.

That's why when it opened, the Boulevard Mall was really something quite special in town! The first shopping place where you could shop in comfort year round with air conditioning in the summer and heat in the winter, and out of the wind and rain too. It was so beautiful, so happy to hear it's going to be refurbished!

Last edited by Kitchen Witch; 05-15-2014 at 11:35 AM..

Old 05-15-2014, 11:19 AM

347 posts, read 511,597 times
Justin Findlay also knows what MLS, whose season runs during the summer months, isn’t looking for — the triple-digit Las Vegas heat. Stadium plans, which are still being designed, will have to provide suitable refuge from the heat, likely coming from a retractable roof or a closed facility.
“The biggest hurdle is the heat. They made it clear they can’t deal with that.” Findlay said. “It is one of a couple of issues we have to figure out. It has to work for the league. It has to work for us. It has to work for the City Council.”

Could this be the first major pro sports team to call Las Vegas home? - Las Vegas Sun News

Old 05-15-2014, 02:05 PM

6,384 posts, read 11,875,954 times
People who don't know what the MLS is like making incorrect statements. First of all, the fanbase is most definitely not "immigrants" or whatever nationality you think it is. The season ticket holders are generally younger and come for the atmosphere as much as the game. Add to that lots of families, many coming due to tie ins with youth soccer events. There are no fights in the stands, even the biggest rivals supporters groups organize together and make sure visitors feel welcome. Other sports and clubs from other countries engage in hate, MLS supporters by and large respect the game first.

I think 24000 is too big for most games, but it is needed to handle bigger matches with exhibitions and possibly national team matches. Beyond that, every MLS stadium which was built for soccer first is getting used for other sports and events. Anything which would have by default gone to Sam Boyd can be held at this stadium. Considering the season, it might be the perfect spot for NFR down the road if its indeed a closed stadium safe from the elements.

Old 05-15-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
I think 24000 is too big for most games, but it is needed to handle bigger matches with exhibitions and possibly national team matches. Beyond that, every MLS stadium which was built for soccer first is getting used for other sports and events. Anything which would have by default gone to Sam Boyd can be held at this stadium. Considering the season, it might be the perfect spot for NFR down the road if its indeed a closed stadium safe from the elements.
I would definitely agree that 24,000 is way too much for an MLS stadium. Seattle gets 44K a game, but then average attendance drops to 21K a game in LA and Portland.

Old 05-15-2014, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisSuarez View Post
Justin Findlay also knows what MLS, whose season runs during the summer months, isn’t looking for — the triple-digit Las Vegas heat. Stadium plans, which are still being designed, will have to provide suitable refuge from the heat, likely coming from a retractable roof or a closed facility.
“The biggest hurdle is the heat. They made it clear they can’t deal with that.” Findlay said. “It is one of a couple of issues we have to figure out. It has to work for the league. It has to work for us. It has to work for the City Council.”

Could this be the first major pro sports team to call Las Vegas home? - Las Vegas Sun News
The heat is tough, but not a major hurdle. Dallas and Houston both have an open air arenas and there's a fairly easy solution. Wait until the sun goes down. Most teams in hot areas that have open stadiums play at night to make it easier on players and fans.

Old 05-15-2014, 05:46 PM

210 posts, read 449,347 times
The seating sweet spot would need to be in the 16K to 20K range. I think people discount what the MLS can bring to this town. The heat is an issue but night games and some sort shade structure should help with the heat element I don't even think you have to have a full retractable roof.

Old 05-15-2014, 06:11 PM

700 posts, read 1,329,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlloyd87 View Post
The heat is tough, but not a major hurdle. Dallas and Houston both have an open air arenas and there's a fairly easy solution. Wait until the sun goes down. Most teams in hot areas that have open stadiums play at night to make it easier on players and fans.
While they are on the field playing what resembles soccer, any true soccer fan can tell the the heat is causing a lackluster soccer game.

Old 05-15-2014, 06:31 PM

That's why most of the games would likely have to be played during the night when the summer really heats up. Any FC Dallas game actually played IN Dallas is at 7pm when it's much cooler.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: