Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 05:33 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,679,690 times

Advertisements

A skeptical coworkers brought this up when I told him I am moving to LV.

Does anyone think about it?

There is no storage at the moment right? It won't be completed for another 20 years correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 06:08 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winter-rabbit View Post
A skeptical coworkers brought this up when I told him I am moving to LV.

Does anyone think about it?

There is no storage at the moment right? It won't be completed for another 20 years correct?
It is almost 100 miles away. The real risk is likely for stuff being shipped to Yucca.

There is no real evidence that Yucca is any where near the best site for such a depository. In fact testing has established that water can penetrate the site. This has led to the adoption of a containment strategy...the container of the waste providing the primary protection. This is a strategy that would work virtually anywhere.

I think the insult in Yucca is a thing Nevada should not stand. If they wish to pay off Nevada to take the waste I would think we should consider taking it. Other than that let those places that generated it figure out how to get rid of it.

Consider it as the World's biggest nuisance.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:40 PM

15,849 posts, read 14,479,382 times
I think the fact that they used that site to test nuclear weapons for decades has some think to do with it. The fact that its deep in the middle of nowhere is another. The fact that its part of the Nellis Range, and security is in place for Area 51, and the other stuff the gov't does in that area also helps.

It also helps that NV has the minimum number of both Congresscritters and electoral votes might have something to do with it.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I think the fact that they used that site to test nuclear weapons for decades has some think to do with it. The fact that its deep in the middle of nowhere is another. The fact that its part of the Nellis Range, and security is in place for Area 51, and the other stuff the gov't does in that area also helps.

It also helps that NV has the minimum number of both Congresscritters and electoral votes might have something to do with it.
I would point out that having put up with the nuclear bomb testing is one reason we should claim Nevada is off limits. We paid our dues.

I am not at all sure Yucca is actually over with for your last reason. Screw Nevada has wide appeal. But we absolutely should resist. Maybe we need to test a couple of really big conventional weapons down in the bowels of that hole.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:25 AM

168 posts, read 212,338 times
All I'll say is that we should be making millions and potentially billions off this right now.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:50 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
They're going about this the wrong way. Just promise that it will lower everyone's taxes by half and Nevadans will be screaming for excavators to get this project moving.

Old 04-11-2014, 02:06 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times
The politicians took the wrong side and now they can't go back and change their minds. They should have said in the beginning, yes, we'll let you store waste there if you pay us enough. Nobody will ever build condos on the Test Site, so why not?

BTW OP. Like lvoc said, Yucca Mountain is 100 miles from here, except that I believe it is actually about 200 miles from here. The question is, will they transport the waste through Las Vegas, and is that dangerous? I believe it will never go right through Las Vegas, and besides, what do you think is in those plain wrapper trucks with government type vans following them up and down American highways? There are nukes just on the edge of town in the old Lake Mead Base part of Nellis AFB. Otherwise how would they load them onto jets at Nellis in case of war? In Albuquerque, the area holding the bombs is surrounded by homes. There is nuclear sh** all over the world now.

Old 04-11-2014, 06:51 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,671,817 times
I was under the impression the Yucca project had lost federal funding and was pretty much dead.

Even if it starts to move forward again, at this point it looks highly unlikely the site will be used for its origionally intended purpose.

Forbes had an article about this last year.

Old 04-11-2014, 02:40 PM

2,849 posts, read 4,521,584 times
yes the yucca project has lost federal funding. that does not mean that it's not being used for storage, that also does not mean that shipments have ceased. they happen in the middle of the night (i've seen it multiple times) in clearly marked containers & yes they come thru vegas & pahrump - downtown vegas, probably not. i'm sure the amount of shipments have slowed to a crawl since the federal funding was lost & no i haven't sat up at night waiting for the trucks to roll thru town....

Old 04-11-2014, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8lite View Post
yes the yucca project has lost federal funding. that does not mean that it's not being used for storage, that also does not mean that shipments have ceased. they happen in the middle of the night (i've seen it multiple times) in clearly marked containers & yes they come thru vegas & pahrump - downtown vegas, probably not. i'm sure the amount of shipments have slowed to a crawl since the federal funding was lost & no i haven't sat up at night waiting for the trucks to roll thru town....
I don't believe Yucca is usable. It has no license. There is at least one other radioactive waste dump on that general site. That is a landfill which recently became controversial over the particular waste the government was trying to bury there. I do not believe that situation has been resolved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas