Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 10:02 PM

15 posts, read 15,092 times

Advertisements

So, it looks like I'm gonna be having to room mate with someone? I'm very sketchy about that, DON'T wanna get murdered LOL seriously though........ What are your opinions on rooming with someone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 10:27 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,937,679 times
If your taking in the roomie why no try to room with someone from Nellis. At least you know they passed a background check.

Old 05-17-2014, 08:03 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,633,464 times
You might be better off to rent a room in a single family home first and then once you have established yourself a bit and know some people find a room mate through them...you will have a better feel for the city and where you want to live by then too.

Also wouldn't hurt to buy a safe for expensive jewelry, cash ect.

Last edited by SoHoVe; 05-17-2014 at 08:26 AM..

Old 05-17-2014, 08:28 AM

427 posts, read 627,946 times
maybe you should delay the move to LV for awhile in order to get a little more money behind you? I read recently that you should have 6 months of living expenses in the bank !
The move itself will be costly, then there's rent, utilities, transportation costs, and groceries, plus it's not always easy to find a job in LV as a new-comer.
I think the minimum wage here is $8.50 an hr. Will you be able to live on that, maybe even part-time until something better comes along?
Don't rush this move .... be 100% ready for it.

Old 05-17-2014, 09:52 AM

2,180 posts, read 4,523,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaschick1 View Post
So, it looks like I'm gonna be having to room mate with someone?
What are your opinions on rooming with someone?
don't do it...

if you need to do it, don't complain about it.

Old 05-17-2014, 11:07 AM

210 posts, read 448,343 times
I've roomed with people several times in my life. Most of them worked out. The one that didn't was oddly with someone I knew before rooming. The key is an ability to judge people. If you don't feel comfortable with someone for whatever reason DON'T DO IT. If you girl only room with a girl and vice versa.

Old 05-17-2014, 11:12 AM

10,865 posts, read 16,942,809 times
I wouldn't bring anything worth stealing. (And you'll be AMAZED at what people consider "worth stealing" when roommates are involved.)

Old 05-17-2014, 11:30 AM

836 posts, read 1,028,790 times
OP,
I met all 5 of my roommates on Craigslist. We met first, had dinner, talked about likes/dislikes, interests, etc. we all felt really comfortable with each other. Just meet them in person to see if it's a match.

I met one of the guys at a dog park and it allowed me to see the dog too. Lol 6 months later we still get along. We all have busy schedules so we're never really home enough to annoy each other lol

Anyway, I'm PRO living with roommates to cut out expenses. In NYC, my rent is only $665 in Manhattan. Do what you gotta do. I'm not sure how expensive LV is to live but I'm assuming costly, so having a roomie to split bills and groceries w will come in handy

P.s. Iive w 3 makes and 2 other females. I think you'll be fine with either sex.

Old 05-17-2014, 12:17 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,633,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisce4 View Post
OP,
I met all 5 of my roommates on Craigslist. We met first, had dinner, talked about likes/dislikes, interests, etc. we all felt really comfortable with each other. Just meet them in person to see if it's a match.

I met one of the guys at a dog park and it allowed me to see the dog too. Lol 6 months later we still get along. We all have busy schedules so we're never really home enough to annoy each other lol

Anyway, I'm PRO living with roommates to cut out expenses. In NYC, my rent is only $665 in Manhattan. Do what you gotta do. I'm not sure how expensive LV is to live but I'm assuming costly, so having a roomie to split bills and groceries w will come in handy

P.s. Iive w 3 makes and 2 other females. I think you'll be fine with either sex.
Sorry but ROFL...I've lived in NYC too and roommates THERE is a whole different ballgame!

Vegas doesn't generally attract the same sort of folks...totally different!

Old 05-17-2014, 06:39 PM

15 posts, read 15,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longton52 View Post
maybe you should delay the move to LV for awhile in order to get a little more money behind you? I read recently that you should have 6 months of living expenses in the bank !
The move itself will be costly, then there's rent, utilities, transportation costs, and groceries, plus it's not always easy to find a job in LV as a new-comer.
I think the minimum wage here is $8.50 an hr. Will you be able to live on that, maybe even part-time until something better comes along?
Don't rush this move .... be 100% ready for it.
oh yes of course! im saving up.. im trying to be in vegas to start with about 7,000. and i am getting a transfer as manager to my job in vegas. so im kinda only asking this question because i want all the money to myself and be greedy, so i was thinking duh maybe a roommate!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: