Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 01:24 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,863,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanb View Post
I checked with KB Homes and they are doing a couple of third party inspections by
1) Geo tek (foundation work)
2) Quality built (framing and others)

I asked for a copy of their reports and was told "no".
Try to find out WHEN the inspections will take (maybe call the inspectors pretending to be a clerk in scheduling). Show up and ask questions.

Quote:
... I am still waiting to hear back from black mountain on the pricing.
Personally I think $4K could be a heck of a deal and the best money you can spend.

Quote:
As for upgrades, we did not upgrade the tubs (no option) but were told they would be kohler or american standard. We are upgrading to whirlpool appliances, carpet padding, carpets, tiles and doing the full house cat5/cable package. Total upgrades cost about 10% of the base price.
It is personal preference, but I do not like rebond carpet padding. There is nothing wrong with it; I just don't like the feel. I specified Leggett and Platt Napa series foam padding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 01:32 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,863,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
17" tiles are better than the 12" tiles most tract houses use. 3/8" is way, way too wide in my opinion. I hope the grout is dark -- because that's the color it's going to end up after a few years (even with regular sealing, which I would plan on doing every six months or so).
I agree-- 3/8 wide grout lines are WAY too wide, but of course this is a design preferance than a quality issue.

You may be able to specify an additive to the grout mix that would cut down on staining. What are the kitchen counters & backsplash? Tile? If so consider upgrading to 2-part epoxy grout which curesc chemically and is extremely stain resistant from standard water. Asked grout.

Don't forget to specify either sanded or unsanded grout based on your preference.

Old 05-30-2014, 01:53 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,990,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I agree-- 3/8 wide grout lines are WAY too wide, but of course this is a design preferance than a quality issue.

You may be able to specify an additive to the grout mix that would cut down on staining. What are the kitchen counters & backsplash? Tile? If so consider upgrading to 2-part epoxy grout which curesc chemically and is extremely stain resistant from standard water. Asked grout.

Don't forget to specify either sanded or unsanded grout based on your preference.

I consider it a quality issue. The only reason for really wide grout lines is that it is easy and fast for the installers. It gives them a great deal of "wiggle room," so they can knock the job out fast. If you go to these installer's houses, they don't have 3/8" grout lines. Because THEY'RE the ones who would have to clean it. Nobody likes cleaning grout.

And that's just the tile. It has been my experience with tract homes that the tradesmen who build them work under the philosophy of "Can't see it from my house" and "If I can jump across it, I can caulk it."

Old 05-31-2014, 02:13 PM

78 posts, read 311,516 times
The kitchen counters and back splash are granite slabs. No grout there...

As for sanded vs unsanded, I believe it will be sanded because the grout lines are wider.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:39 PM

113 posts, read 358,041 times
Dh was luckily experienced in engineering and construction so was able to visit the site and have things corrected on the spot. We did spring for a company to thermally image the insulation to make sure it was done right for final inspection . Best money we ever spent. There were large gaps where the insulation fell out during drywall and nobody put it back. The builders ended up blowing in the insulation and our electric bill in the summer is under 300 even with me keeping it a frosty 68 degrees. We also were able to convince the builders to loose fit the flooring so we could easily replace it but it would still pass for the mortgage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: