Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 11:15 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,552,974 times

Advertisements

You could always buy the modem yourself if you don't trust their modems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 10:51 AM

165 posts, read 209,407 times
I'm on what was the 50Mb (now 100Mb) plan, I think it's Premier.

I bought a brand new Cisco DPC3010 modem and Asus router from Amazon last year when I bought my house. I just made sure the modem was on the Cox approved list when I made the purchase. I don't like using ISP supplied equipment or paying their rental fees.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseals View Post
I use cox and IF you get a decent modem they aren't bad but I am a Gamer and despite their speed I find on a lot of Multiplayer games they are Loaded with LAG But that is not their fault it is the cheap junk modems they give you .. Usually after about 4 or 5 swaps I finally get a good one after each move I have made.
That's one of the reasons I bought my own equipment. I think that ISP supplied equipment tends to run crippled firmware compared to off the shelf stuff.

Old 08-13-2014, 11:49 AM

78 posts, read 176,643 times
Hi guys. If I am a new Cox customer, does this apply to the new packages they have? Also what plan would you recommend me to get? I will be living with 1 other roommate and we mostly will be using Internet to stream netflix, hulu, play music, surf the web, I sometimes torrent. What modem would you recommend I purchase as well through a third party so I am not ripped off or get the crappy cox ones?

Old 08-13-2014, 01:18 PM

I would pick a modem from this list:
Cox Compatible Cable Modems
That is listed as "Ultimate" compatible. Must be DOCSIS 3.0 compatible or you won't get the advertised speeds. I would highly recommend against the combined modem/router units, a separate modem and router will always be superior. Amazon is pretty good for buying electronics. I use Newegg for a lot of my computer hardware when building PCs, they are another pretty solid vendor. For the modem I would stick with Cisco, Motorola or Netgear myself. Asus routers are highly rated, and mine has been solid. Do a bit of your own research along with what I linked and you should be in good shape.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:09 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,808,496 times
FYI, I picked up a refurbished DOCSIS 3.0 modem from Amazon w/prime for around $36 shipped. Works like a charm.
All I had to do to get it activated with Cox was provide them the Mac Address via online chat support.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:44 PM

35 posts, read 48,585 times
i'll be interested when Google Fiber comes, until then i only pay for the cheapest possible internet and netflix out of principle.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:06 PM

1,828 posts, read 5,314,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spades45 View Post
i'll be interested when Google Fiber comes, until then i only pay for the cheapest possible internet and netflix out of principle.
It probably won't come to Vegas. So far Google is primarily swooping in and buying poorly managed fiber. Now that Cox has already committed to 1Gbps service within 2 years it doesn't make sense for Google to come here. Cox certainly wouldn't sell them infrastructure.

DOCSIS 3.1 is coming and 1Gbps service will be everywhere that cable Internet exists.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:38 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimjo5150 View Post
I recently switched to COX. I started out with the 150 Mbps service but I was not able to get over 25 Mbps wireless so when the COX tech (awesome Joe) came out he spend time cleaning up the install the first guy did and then spend time troubleshooting. We found that wired we were able to get over 150 Mbps but wireless was not good. We tried switching the router to several different channels and found one that was better but still not good. Joe recommended that we downgrade our service to 25 Mbps and that by 8/1 it would be automatically doubled. When wired we do get 50 Meg or higher. Still not good wireless.

Moral of my story is that the speed that they advertise is when you are wired. They can not guarantee any specific speed especially wireless.

I am leasing the new dual router/modem from COX until find a replacement so it is not outdated equipment. (I have looked and I get very confused on what would be best for a home office with at least 10 devices and Roku.) I also have to connect my work computer to a VPN which drops the Mbps in half. If I would have known wireless was going to have issues I would have hand them drop the cable line into my office. I have enough stuff in here so I had them run it to the spare bedroom across the hall from the office.

Does anyone have any suggestions/recommendations on how to increase wireless speeds?
Anyone want to share a link to a recommended router/modem on Amazon?

Thanks all,
Kim
We have a Netgear n600 dual band. 300 mbps on both laptops consistently. What are the specs for the computer side nic?

Old 08-14-2014, 09:45 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icecreamcake View Post
Hi guys. If I am a new Cox customer, does this apply to the new packages they have? Also what plan would you recommend me to get? I will be living with 1 other roommate and we mostly will be using Internet to stream netflix, hulu, play music, surf the web, I sometimes torrent. What modem would you recommend I purchase as well through a third party so I am not ripped off or get the crappy cox ones?
If the guy that shows up is wearing a Pratt shirt get ready for a lot of bs. Be prepared to be told you have to pay for items that Cox didn't mention. We went through this today and my wife reamed some Cox reps a new one.

Turns out that the crap the Pratt tech was telling us was Pratt policy, and had nothing to do with Cox at all.

We sent him on his merry way without paying him and we won't be paying him through Cox, either.

Mrs.Tek is an excellent negotiator.

Be prepared!

Edit: We bought a Motorola Surfboard at Best Buy (I know, I know, but we were really, really tight for time) for $80.00 and it works great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas