Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2014, 10:48 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,552,260 times

Advertisements

Most of my evictions get handled within 1 month. Nevada is rather fast about it. If someone is savvy, they might be able to game the system and get an extra month but generally the courts here are very speedy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 02:37 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
Most of my evictions get handled within 1 month. Nevada is rather fast about it. If someone is savvy, they might be able to game the system and get an extra month but generally the courts here are very speedy.
There is actually a real estate short subject on the matter. It can easily run 120 days if skillfully defended.

Old 06-26-2014, 04:01 PM

3 posts, read 4,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packrat1 View Post
Happens all the time, check out squatterdatabase.com Often they have to get writ of ejectment
They break into a house, but you have to serve them a paper to get them out?

I'd go back to the police and constantly complain that they broke in.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:17 PM

529 posts, read 512,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondesareeasy View Post
They break into a house, but you have to serve them a paper to get them out?

I'd go back to the police and constantly complain that they broke in.
Or you go into your house to check on it, walk into a burglary in progress, and defend yourself with reasonable force.

Old 06-27-2014, 01:26 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LasVegasPlayer View Post
Or you go into your house to check on it, walk into a burglary in progress, and defend yourself with reasonable force.
Yeah, a guy in Northern Nevada did that recently. He's being tried for murder.

Lets not turn non-violent crime, though annoying as hell, into a capitol offense.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:28 AM

15,844 posts, read 14,479,382 times
NLV beat me to it. In a situation like this, you're not going to just walk into the house. They'll change all the locks, so you'll have to break into the house. So if they're home they'll hear you coming, and be waiting for you, shotgun in hand. At the same time, they'll be calling he cops, and you'll get hauled off for an attempted home invasion.

If they're not home, and you start throwing out their stuff, changing locks etc., at best you'll get dinged for what we'd call here an illegal eviction, at worst, arresting for B&E/burglary.

Quote:

Old 06-27-2014, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Yeah, a guy in Northern Nevada did that recently. He's being tried for murder.

Lets not turn non-violent crime, though annoying as hell, into a capitol offense.
I don't believe this for a second, do you have a link?

Are you talking about this?

Sparks Police Make Arrest in Squatter Shooting

He shot two people while they were sleeping so his life was not in danger. He needed to have held them at gunpoint and called the police, only using force if the burglars became a threat.

I'm not advocating openly shooting everyone in the house, but holding burglars at gunpoint and using force if in danger before police arrive is clearly legal and appropriate.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:05 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times
Quote:
I don't believe this for a second, do you have a link?

Are you talking about this?

Sparks Police Make Arrest in Squatter Shooting

He shot two people while they were sleeping so his life was not in danger. He needed to have held them at gunpoint and called the police, only using force if the burglars became a threat.

I'm not advocating openly shooting everyone in the house, but holding burglars at gunpoint and using force if in danger before police arrive is clearly legal and appropriate.
Not if they have actually set up house keeping. Once it moves to the civil side you no longer have the crime side prerogatives. You cannot use force on a tenant once into the civil domain.

Where is the line? Hard to say but the police give you a reasonable guide line. If they won't act you are on the wrong side of the line. I would think you are on the wrong side if they have moved in furniture and actually set up house keeping. And they may very well have gotten the water and electric on.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:43 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,785,752 times
How is stealing not stealing if they move in furniture? They are, in effect, stealing your house. If I broke into a car and decided I wanted to sleep there, wouldn't the police be involved? why is it different with a house?

Old 06-27-2014, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Not if they have actually set up house keeping. Once it moves to the civil side you no longer have the crime side prerogatives. You cannot use force on a tenant once into the civil domain.

Where is the line? Hard to say but the police give you a reasonable guide line. If they won't act you are on the wrong side of the line. I would think you are on the wrong side if they have moved in furniture and actually set up house keeping. And they may very well have gotten the water and electric on.
Burglary does not have a time limit in Nevada. There is no "he was there more than 10 minutes" exception. It sounds like Metro is just lazy if they don't haul people away for this when the owner of the property is there and can prove the crime beyond any doubt at the scene.

If I am there and own the house and property records back me up then their fake lease is proven as fraud, which is an additional felony, the burglars need to be taken away immediately.

I do see your point about if they have set up a home. This does become cloudy after a month, but not if I caught them there within a few days of their illegal entry.

NRS 205.060

Quote:
NRS 205.060  Burglary: Definition; penalties; venue; exception.
1.  Except as otherwise provided in subsection 5, a person who, by day or night, enters any house, room, apartment, tenement, shop, warehouse, store, mill, barn, stable, outhouse or other building, tent, vessel, vehicle, vehicle trailer, semitrailer or house trailer, airplane, glider, boat or railroad car, with the intent to commit grand or petit larceny, assault or battery on any person or any felony, or to obtain money or property by false pretenses, is guilty of burglary.
Subsection 5, the exception, describes shoplifting. Forced entry isn't required either for it to be a burglary. Intent to enter the premises to commit an unlawful act (fraud, for example) makes it a burglary. Squatting is a criminal act because you had to gain unlawful entry to the property in the first place.

I understand why the banks don't have time for this and fall victim to it but private landlords need to be proactive about visiting vacant properties so they can truthfully swear that the burglars were not there previously that week. If I am proactive about protecting my property, the squatters cannot claim any rights simply because they were there for 36 hours and commit a felony upon each and every entry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas