Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 09:18 PM

818 posts, read 3,698,255 times

Advertisements

747s also have a history of fatal crashes. What a dumb remark. Helicopter tours are very popular and unless you're taking a tour of Somalia or Iraq, seem safe enough as well.

I can't tell you which tour operators are the most reputable, but they are taking off with regularity and not crashing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 08:25 AM

424 posts, read 1,479,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Also, don't forget the M&M store directly across from NYNY. It has (not sure anymore) a cool interactive 3-D movie that everyone enjoys (adults, too!) M&M's of every color imaginable and probably any M&M souvenir currently on the market.
Is this in Vegas or Grand Canyon? My son loves M & Ms and looks like this should make it into the ever-growing list of things to see!

Old 12-19-2007, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chest Rockwell View Post
747s also have a history of fatal crashes. What a dumb remark. Helicopter tours are very popular and unless you're taking a tour of Somalia or Iraq, seem safe enough as well.

I can't tell you which tour operators are the most reputable, but they are taking off with regularity and not crashing.
Good point. I told my wife the exact same thing last night. She is always okay, but it kinda got me worried though. The question being - unlike the commercial planes, I am guessing it is quite easy for an individual to buy one of these helicopters, get a license and start a business, and not keep it upgraded at that. They seem to ask you to sign a disclaimer sort of form but perhaps this is done implicitly in airplane travels all the time..

Old 12-19-2007, 08:34 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,496,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vauser View Post
Is this in Vegas or Grand Canyon? My son loves M & Ms and looks like this should make it into the ever-growing list of things to see!
Chest Rockwell...since I'm so full of dumb remarks, could you please answer for vauser?

Old 12-19-2007, 08:38 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,496,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chest Rockwell View Post

Vauser...see below for some similar dumb remarks taken from a popular travel guide....

Flightseeing

They also raise safety concerns. A total of 41 people, more than half of them sightseers, have died in seven plane and helicopter crashes in and around Grand Canyon since 1991. This includes six people who died in a helicopter crash in August 2001. Another fatal crash occurred in 2003.

Old 12-19-2007, 10:01 AM

818 posts, read 3,698,255 times
Seven crashes in 17 years seem like a bit more than should be acceptable. I'll take back my "dumb remark" comment, but the odds of being involved in one are still practically infinitesimal. I'd do the tour, but I understand wanting to play it safe as well.

As for the M&M Store, It's on Las Vegas Boulevard near Tropicana.

Old 12-19-2007, 11:35 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,110,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vauser View Post
Good point. I told my wife the exact same thing last night. She is always okay, but it kinda got me worried though. The question being - unlike the commercial planes, I am guessing it is quite easy for an individual to buy one of these helicopters, get a license and start a business, and not keep it upgraded at that. They seem to ask you to sign a disclaimer sort of form but perhaps this is done implicitly in airplane travels all the time..
Despite my intense dislike and disdain for helifloppers....it IS very easy to get one.....for 15-20 million $ and to fly one....a lot of VERY long hard intensive training. up-keep is a piece of cake....[reviewed closely by the Federal Aviation Admonistration] and running a business is easy....under the guidelines of the National Transportation Safety Board.....etc etc etc .....

Nope...helicopter business are well regulated well run businesses flow byt extremely competent piolts with a LOT of flying hours....MANY under VERY grueling conditions....[such as enemy fire]

Helicopter businesses are as safe as any aviation business and as well regulated....

They are just SOOOO DAMNED UGLY......

Old 12-19-2007, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Vauser...see below for some similar dumb remarks taken from a popular travel guide....

Flightseeing

They also raise safety concerns. A total of 41 people, more than half of them sightseers, have died in seven plane and helicopter crashes in and around Grand Canyon since 1991. This includes six people who died in a helicopter crash in August 2001. Another fatal crash occurred in 2003.
Fair enough. I read this too. Agree with you guys. While the probability of anything like that happening is small, it sure does seem higher than how it should definitely be, in my opinion.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
Despite my intense dislike and disdain for helifloppers....it IS very easy to get one.....for 15-20 million $ and to fly one....a lot of VERY long hard intensive training. up-keep is a piece of cake....[reviewed closely by the Federal Aviation Admonistration] and running a business is easy....under the guidelines of the National Transportation Safety Board.....etc etc etc .....

Nope...helicopter business are well regulated well run businesses flow byt extremely competent piolts with a LOT of flying hours....MANY under VERY grueling conditions....[such as enemy fire]

Helicopter businesses are as safe as any aviation business and as well regulated....

They are just SOOOO DAMNED UGLY......
oh okay, good to know that. it isn't that easy afterall, huh. which is good, definitely good. we've never been on one before but would definitely like to try it. but it just doesn't appear to be a very easy decision anymore. geez..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: