Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 06:56 PM

15 posts, read 40,397 times

Advertisements

We're a retired Navy family. My husband retired 3 years ago out of Nebraska. We've lived in LV for 2 years.

1.) which neigborhoods, west of the 15, would you recommend - remember, we want to be fairly close to Nellis. I recommend living in Centennial Hills. It's about 30 minutes to Nellis. You don't want to be super close to Nellis.
2.) which schools should we be directing our search towards? My highschoolers go to Arbor View High School
3.) what do average utilities run each month? We have 2 units on our 3500sqf house. We've topped out at about $350 during the summer.
4.) what is the average for car registration? I'm not sure about this one. My husband is a disabled vet so he receives vouchers for the cars every year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 09:53 AM

4 posts, read 2,761 times
Default Thank You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
….

Old 06-18-2014, 09:54 AM

Thanks so much!

Old 06-18-2014, 09:56 AM

Default Thank You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohachick View Post
Thanks so much!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
After you read the sticky...

Just use Centennial, Arbor View or Shadow Ridge High School. Any exceptionally bright kid consider Advanced Tech or perhans the NW Technology Center which are magnet schools.

This is basically the NW corner of Las Vegas. Zips would be part or all of 89129 89149, 89166, 89143, 89131, 89084.

Utilities figure 250 to 350 averaged over the yeqr.

Airics did the car registration. You can go to the NVDMV website and calculate an estimate for any given vehicle.

Old 06-19-2014, 02:32 PM

461 posts, read 662,213 times
We are a retired family and we live about 15 minutes from the Nellis front gate. We like being close to Nellis & the hospital. Hubby goes to the VA mostly for his appts and me and kids go to the hospital -- No co-pays and all services are on-site. Vegas is not the place to move to for "good" schools, but some are better than others as as long as you are involved in their education there should be no problem. My kids are in elementary and I'm not impressed at all. Go to greatschools dot com for reviews

Old 06-20-2014, 11:06 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,118,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvette8 View Post
We are a retired family and we live about 15 minutes from the Nellis front gate. We like being close to Nellis & the hospital. Hubby goes to the VA mostly for his appts and me and kids go to the hospital -- No co-pays and all services are on-site. Vegas is not the place to move to for "good" schools, but some are better than others as as long as you are involved in their education there should be no problem. My kids are in elementary and I'm not impressed at all. Go to greatschools dot com for reviews
What are you not impressed with? The school itself? The teachers? The principal? The curriculum? Location? School district?

My wife and I have had issues with all the above. Our daughter will be going to sixth grade next year and we have next to zero issue now.(besides CCSD's financial/staffing mishaps) It took 6 long school years to figure out what works best for us. You are 100% correct about being involved with your kids education. It's the only way.

Being involved- not just helping your child with their homework and sending them back to school every day. More like- visiting school regularly, donating time, donating money for school functiobs(if you can), help plan field trips, sitting in classrooms as a teacher's assistant, etc.

This past school year, my daughter's 5th grade class got to go on a field trip to Sea World. Only possible because of parent involvement of time, energy and fund raising. It wasn't cheap and we needed about 20 parent chaperones to make it possible but we did it.

Old 06-21-2014, 09:47 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,795,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyzx3 View Post
We're a retired Navy family. ... ... My husband is a disabled vet...
Thanks to your husband for his service, and thanks to you for being a Navy family.

Old 06-21-2014, 09:50 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,795,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
... It took 6 long school years to figure out what works best for us. You are 100% correct about being involved with your kids education. It's the only way...
Wouldn't it be great if kids were born with an instruction manual? This whole trial-and-error thing seems inefficient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas