U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2014, 10:56 PM

28,718 posts, read 42,672,701 times

Advertisements

From what I understand the taxis are all over the strip and surrounding areas, but few and far between in the outlying areas. True?

So the city (I know, I know) needs to set up boundaries. Taxis get the "downtown" and Uber gets the burbs.

And pigs will fly.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2014, 09:10 AM

1,308 posts, read 2,143,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E_L_R View Post
They go from company to company here…I'm assuming you're implying that each company hires, then realizes the driver's shortcomings, and then fires? Otherwise, I'm not sure that there is a valid argument that taxi's > Uber? If drivers have had complaints, I can tell you first hand that they'd be let go from Uber much more rapidly than the cab authority. This is confirmed by the request I received from the cab authority when attempting to file a complaint. The cab authority has absolutely no record of my complaint or issue because I refused to file an investigation (reasoning explained in previous comment).

If you're implying that Uber does not complete thorough background checks, or their drivers are not trustable - well maybe you should Google issues with Taxi companies worldwide? There is not an international, or even national, cab company that operates with the exposure and publicity that Uber does. I'm sure there are many, many issues with cab drivers here in Las Vegas…or do they all go unreported?

Uber is not a flaw-free system, but it is much, much more progressive than the LV cab authority.
Hence, Uber should use their savvy system to revolutionize the taxi industry (for a fee of course). Uber is a technology company, not a transportation company.

Old 12-13-2014, 10:22 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,402,282 times
Some taxi companies are getting the ball rolling on gps/tracking devices in the cabs... So that when you call for a cab, you'll be able to see where it is as well.. Which was one of uber's advantages. Soon, that advantage will no longer be there for Uber.

Old 12-13-2014, 10:32 AM

28,718 posts, read 42,672,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Cabbie View Post
Some taxi companies are getting the ball rolling on gps/tracking devices in the cabs... So that when you call for a cab, you'll be able to see where it is as well.. Which was one of uber's advantages. Soon, that advantage will no longer be there for Uber.
But if the cabs here still don't go to the areas outside the strip and downtown it's not a solution for the citizens of Las Vegas. Technology isn't the problem. The willingness pf drivers to service areas other than those two is. If you won't drive to Summerlin to pick me up I don't care if you use gps.

Old 12-13-2014, 10:41 AM

7,112 posts, read 11,928,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Cabbie View Post
Are taxi companies rolling out an app? That would be nice.

Are you still anti uber by the way?

Old 12-14-2014, 02:34 PM

12,973 posts, read 13,927,233 times
Interesting John Smith essay this morning in the RJ.

Points out that a local limousine service was indicted and the owner pleaded guilty to running prostitution and drugs through the limousine service. The interesting point was that they are still licensed by NTA and operating.

So you can be guilty of major criminal activity and still be licensed. But Uber is out over background checks?

Old 12-14-2014, 07:43 PM

764 posts, read 646,077 times
Well, we all know that the TA and regular cabbies like to think they are whiter than white, but it's clear they are not!
And they hate ANY competition. In any other circle its called corruption, racketeering, monopoly. Take your pick!

Old 12-15-2014, 10:25 PM

20,336 posts, read 23,936,923 times
The greatest Monopolist of all, John D. Rockefeller, killed off all his competition with such cutthroat pricing, his competitors didn't stand a chance!

Now wouldn't that be something! They allow Uber into Las Vegas, the cab companies drive them out of here with cutthroat pricing!

Old 12-16-2014, 08:33 AM

11,210 posts, read 7,305,572 times
Uber still in focus at Nevada Taxicab Authority meeting, reviewjournal.com/, December 15, 2014

Nellis Cab owner Ray Chenoweth, who has been in the Las Vegas cab industry for more than 50 years, made a rare appearance at Monday’s meeting.

“In my 50-plus years in the Vegas taxi industry, I have faced many hurdles, but none to equal Uber,” he told the commission. “Gypsy cabs are nothing new and they always come to the surface when the market is underserved or underallocated. I say that because my radio dispatch system supervisor informs me that we fail to serve as much as 25 to 30 percent of phone requests.”

^^

This is quite an admission to the TA. Nellis Cabs drivers have a reputation of uber hungry I need to make my quota drivers. I was told this by other drivers and observed this while on the road. I've never heard of the local phone requests that are not served. Unbelievable. Learn something new every day.

_

Old 12-16-2014, 08:51 AM

10,865 posts, read 15,242,910 times
Proves my original point that if the cab companies weren't totally fumbling the ball, companies like Uber wouldn't be necessary. They laughed at FedEx at one time as well.

I repeat: The internet is going to fundamentally change any industry that uses information. A cab service is nothing more than a large database of customers connected by automobiles. Either be ahead of the curve or try throwing wooden shoes into the gears. Those are really the only two choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas