U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2014, 11:02 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,402,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
Fixed it for you:

Yeah right, cameras have been stopping people from committing crimes in convenience stores for decades.

It's amazing that you can't even see the giant holes in your own argument(s). There must be a huge blind spot in your cab as well.
Dude... Maybe I'm wrong, but people usually walk into convenience stores with masks on when they are about to rob them... With the exception of a rare idiot here and there. Most will wear a mask.
Can you please tell me the last time you saw someone at a cab stand wearing a mask next to the doorman?
It's been proven right here in this city that assaults within cabs have absolutely plummeted since the installation of the cameras.

Please stop embarrassing yourself.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 02:05 PM

1,477 posts, read 1,266,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Cabbie View Post
My mistake... Apparently now the drivers get the cut too... However, isn't that an extremely shady business practice to begin with?
When the demand for a car is high, they gouge the customer... Must be nice to be Uber. Maybe when we have a major convention, the cab companies should start doubling and tripling the fares like Uber does.
Uber prices increase up to 500% during peak ACL times
Increasing fares during peak times is not a unique practice. It's basic business sense, charge people more when they want to use you the most. In DC, the Metro has peak and off peak fares, and guess when the peak fares go into effect. Rush hour.

What people are paying for is convenience, you can either wait in a long line for a cab or battle with others on a street corner or you can just have someone roll up to you and be on your way in a matter or minutes. While surge pricing is annoying it's not mandatory and as long as the consumer is informed there isn't a problem and I wouldn't consider it gouging if the person had a cheaper alternative available and went for the more expensive, if you know what you were doing when you ordered the service then you lose sympathy. In the story you posted, the passenger bears some responsibility in making sure that person she gave her phone to didn't order the most expensive item, it's possible that he chose the more expensive option that benefited him and hoped he didn't get caught, it's akin to a driver long hauling a passenger.

Old 12-17-2014, 02:06 PM

11,210 posts, read 7,305,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTroy View Post
UBER is offering a Free First Ride

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOY8fElJBKE

_

Old 12-17-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
There are some people that are extreme taxi haters no matter what.
Some of the people, I actually feel sorry for because of how naive they are to the subject.

Every cab in Las Vegas has a tracking device as well as a CAMERA POINTING DIRECTLY AT THE DRIVER & PASSENGER'S FACE.

I can't exactly start driving around with a mask on and begin robbing/assaulting my passengers... Nor can a passenger do something to us and get away with it.

So really... If someone doesn't feel safe in that type of a situation, then they probably should just build a bunker and live underground... Or you could just ride Uber who seem to change their rules, rates and policies on the fly because apparently that's what reputable companies do.

Quote:
Dude... Maybe I'm wrong, but people usually walk into convenience stores with masks on when they are about to rob them... With the exception of a rare idiot here and there. Most will wear a mask.
Can you please tell me the last time you saw someone at a cab stand wearing a mask next to the doorman?
It's been proven right here in this city that assaults within cabs have absolutely plummeted since the installation of the cameras.

Please stop embarrassing yourself.
I accept you assertion that things have improved safety wise for drivers with the installation of camera however how does that prevent someone from luring you out of your car, for example them jumping you while you're outside of your cab, it doesn't even have to be the passenger, it could be someone who saw an opportunity and took it.

Services like Uber provide additional benefits of having the phone number, credit card/paypal info, and an optional photo of the passenger, also you have the location of where they were picked up and said that they are going. Also your "haul" for robbing a Uber driver is going to be less on average than what you can gain from a traditional driver. It seems to me that the $3 credit card surcharge encourages more people to pay in cash, I'm not sure how often you drop off money but it seems like a logical risk that a taxi driver should have a fair bit of cash on them whereas Uber drivers don't need to have cash on them so you are more likely to get away with only a phone and the driver's wallet.

At the same time there isn't anything preventing Uber drivers from setting up something similar in their own cars, yes I'm sure that this is something covered by your employer as a taxi driver but I'm sure if a uber driver was concerned about it being an issue I'm sure they would rather pay for it on their own than do without.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
I accept you assertion that things have improved safety wise for drivers with the installation of camera however how does that prevent someone from luring you out of your car, for example them jumping you while you're outside of your cab, it doesn't even have to be the passenger, it could be someone who saw an opportunity and took it.

Services like Uber provide additional benefits of having the phone number, credit card/paypal info, and an optional photo of the passenger, also you have the location of where they were picked up and said that they are going. Also your "haul" for robbing a Uber driver is going to be less on average than what you can gain from a traditional driver. It seems to me that the $3 credit card surcharge encourages more people to pay in cash, I'm not sure how often you drop off money but it seems like a logical risk that a taxi driver should have a fair bit of cash on them whereas Uber drivers don't need to have cash on them so you are more likely to get away with only a phone and the driver's wallet.

At the same time there isn't anything preventing Uber drivers from setting up something similar in their own cars, yes I'm sure that this is something covered by your employer as a taxi driver but I'm sure if a uber driver was concerned about it being an issue I'm sure they would rather pay for it on their own than do without.
It's true that an Uber driver would be able to set *some* of those things up in their cab! but nothing everything and it would all be coming out of pocket... Along with maintenance, insurance, gas and other expenses taxi drivers don't have to worry about.

In response to the first paragraph, I hardly ever exit my cab around passengers. We pull up to the doormen at the hotels and they open the door for the passenger. If we were to pull up to a hotel, get out and open the door for the passenger instead of the doorman, we would most likely be banned from that property or cussed out at the very least. That would essentially be taking a tip away from an employee.
So we don't get out of the vehicle there... If they have luggage, we are at a hotel around other people or at the airport where there is security and pedestrians everywhere in sight. Not to mention no one would ever rob a person while hauling around luggage.
On very rare occasions, we will get a local going home. This is basically our riskiest kind of ride. However, most of us don't get out where we are forced out into the burbs somewhere, unless it's at a business with other people around.
A lot of us get out of the cabs to stretch while we are chugging along in the cab lines... I actually saw one dude yesterday at Ballys get out and start jumping rope haha. But when we get out, there's a lot of us around waiting in the line.
Basically... At least in Vegas, we would never get jumped.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:49 PM

Quote:
It's true that an Uber driver would be able to set *some* of those things up in their cab! but nothing everything and it would all be coming out of pocket... Along with maintenance, insurance, gas and other expenses taxi drivers don't have to worry about.
This is the same thing that happens when someone decides to become self-employed no matter the industry. Some people prefer having someone pay the costs (insurance, portion of social security, rent, inventory etc...) in exchange for a portion of the profits (your salary) and some are willing to take on the risks of taking on expenses while being able to keep all of the profits. Everyone's motivation is different, one way is safer and the other can be more satisfying even knowing that you are making less.

Quote:
In response to the first paragraph, I hardly ever exit my cab around passengers. We pull up to the doormen at the hotels and they open the door for the passenger. If we were to pull up to a hotel, get out and open the door for the passenger instead of the doorman, we would most likely be banned from that property or cussed out at the very least. That would essentially be taking a tip away from an employee.
So we don't get out of the vehicle there... If they have luggage, we are at a hotel around other people or at the airport where there is security and pedestrians everywhere in sight. Not to mention no one would ever rob a person while hauling around luggage.
On very rare occasions, we will get a local going home. This is basically our riskiest kind of ride. However, most of us don't get out where we are forced out into the burbs somewhere, unless it's at a business with other people around.
A lot of us get out of the cabs to stretch while we are chugging along in the cab lines... I actually saw one dude yesterday at Ballys get out and start jumping rope haha. But when we get out, there's a lot of us around waiting in the line.
I could think of a dozen reasonable ways that a ride starting in one of your "safe" areas can go bad. How are you able to get away with not getting of you car if you are taking someone from the airport to a local address in a bad neighborhood? Do you just pop the trunk and expect the passenger to get their own bag? What do you do at hotels without doormen? It just seems like this whole situation starts to smack of discrimination against people who don't live near the strip.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:58 PM

13,605 posts, read 11,317,327 times
Quote:

Please don't ever assume that your last sentence is true. Some of the most God-awful crimes we have had here were committed against cabbies. The taxi companies fought tooth and nail against those cameras, btw. But after that poor b@stard got his throat cut, and another one set on fire, if I remember correctly, the drivers absolutely insisted.

Old 12-18-2014, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
This is the same thing that happens when someone decides to become self-employed no matter the industry. Some people prefer having someone pay the costs (insurance, portion of social security, rent, inventory etc...) in exchange for a portion of the profits (your salary) and some are willing to take on the risks of taking on expenses while being able to keep all of the profits. Everyone's motivation is different, one way is safer and the other can be more satisfying even knowing that you are making less.

I could think of a dozen reasonable ways that a ride starting in one of your "safe" areas can go bad. How are you able to get away with not getting of you car if you are taking someone from the airport to a local address in a bad neighborhood? Do you just pop the trunk and expect the passenger to get their own bag? What do you do at hotels without doormen? It just seems like this whole situation starts to smack of discrimination against people who don't live near the strip.
How is it discrimination against people who don't live near the strip?
Is anyone on this thread able to put themselves in someone else's shoes?

If you were a cabbie in Las Vegas, where would you be spending most of your time? Probably where you are actually going to make money, unless you dig working for free.

I've only been working for a year and a half... And in that time, I have probably had somewhere between 1,000 - 1,500 airport pickups. Not once have I ever picked up a local from the airport and taken them directly to their house.
98% of the rides I get from the airport are tourists heading to a hotel... The other 2% is business people heading straight to the convention center or a local business somewhere in town.

If I pick someone up at a hotel with a doorman, the passenger is usually pulling the door handle before the cab is even stopped, which would make getting out useless. And if they for some reason just stand there when I pull up, I can get out and open it for them and there is generally at least a few other people around...
...no offense or anything, but this kind of paranoia is a bit deep. If I'm going to worry about each and every time I exit the cab, I might as well just stay home and wither away. No women should ever go out because of a few rapists in the world... No kids should ever attend school because there's been a handful of school shootings in recent years.
I just think it's a bit much... Especially considering the percentage of "things that go wrong" in the cabs compared to the amount of shifts that are worked.
Every day in this city, there are anywhere between 5,000 - 10,000 shifts worked... And it is pretty rare that you hear about anything happening.

Whether the cab companies wanted the cameras or not, they are in all the cabs... And they aren't going anywhere. Neither are the tracking devices... And neither are the emergency buttons which sends metro to the cab with guns drawn.

Oh and here's a fun fact... Before I get my cab every day, I have to walk up to two managers and pick up a Trip Sheet (the thing you always see us writing on)... Then after that, I get in the cab and go to the propane station, which is on our property. Once there, An attendant fills the cab up and there is generally a Lot Manager somewhere at the station as well. So what I'm getting at is that there's several employees and managers I have to interact with before the cab even leaves the yard every day.
With Uber... I can sit around at home, have a few drinks, then grab the keys and the phone and go. Will there be anyone around to tell me, "You're fired" if I show up to work drunk? Nope. Uber has absolutely mastered the art of "we're not responsible" ... And to me, that is scarier than anything.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:08 AM

11,210 posts, read 7,305,572 times
Poor execution. Anyone can see that a strategy of mass dumping of their services without regard for laws and local conditions on the ground, with the intent to throw lawyers at problems after the fact, is bound to fail. A very public display of the pitfalls of untethered crowdsourcing your business model. I mean, being banned from several countries. Not a city, or a specific part of a city (The Strip), banned from a country.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:02 AM

1,308 posts, read 2,143,920 times
After reading this article, I am quite disgusted by Uber's practice...

Uber Boston Rape Case: Driver Pleads Not Guilty To Sexually Assaulting Passenger
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas