U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-18-2014, 09:08 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
1,423 posts, read 1,402,282 times
Reputation: 1716

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott456 View Post
After reading this article, I am quite disgusted by Uber's practice...

Uber Boston Rape Case: Driver Pleads Not Guilty To Sexually Assaulting Passenger
Funny you mention that... I was actually just about to post this one...
Now San Francisco And Los Angeles Are Suing Uber - Business Insider
Shines light on why parts of India just banned Uber... They will let aaaaanyone drive as long as they are making Uber money.
Story also explains how the cities of San Francisco (where Uber was founded lol) and Los Angeles are suing Uber.

But you guys are right... This is clearly what we need in Las Vegas.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-21-2014, 01:44 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas
2,865 posts, read 2,139,212 times
Reputation: 2423
Las Vegas limo firm owner takes racketeering plea deal - Las Vegas Sun News

"Someday a real rain will come and wash all this scum off the streets"
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2014, 06:42 AM
 
Location: Henderson, NV, U.S.A.
11,209 posts, read 7,305,572 times
Reputation: 19108
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme View Post
"Someday a real rain will come and wash all this scum off the streets"
I just want to work long hours. What's moonlighting?




_
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2014, 08:01 AM
 
Location: Henderson, NV, U.S.A.
11,209 posts, read 7,305,572 times
Reputation: 19108
Uber indicted in South Korea two weeks after official launch, cnet.com/, December 23, 2014

CEO Travis Kalanick named in indictment, which accuses service of violating public transportation law.



_
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2015, 07:58 PM
 
12,973 posts, read 13,927,233 times
Reputation: 5454
Interesting column in this AM NY Times. Economics. Suggests that restriction against Uber and many, many others are strictly economic. Provide poor service at higher prices. As a for instance he cites medallion cabs preventing the meeting of the 4:00 pm crunch in NY. Suggest Uber would provide a large number of additional cars just during the rush period when a premium price would be in effect.

He also points out that there is virtually no actual indication that Uber or other free market approaches have bad outcomes except for the income of those protected by the licensing who lose income. One example was dentists insisting that only they can whiten teeth...which doubles the cost for the consumer with no indication that any safety improvement actually occurs. What does happen is the average dentist makes an additional $25,000..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2015, 07:13 AM
 
1,308 posts, read 2,143,920 times
Reputation: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Interesting column in this AM NY Times. Economics. Suggests that restriction against Uber and many, many others are strictly economic. Provide poor service at higher prices. As a for instance he cites medallion cabs preventing the meeting of the 4:00 pm crunch in NY. Suggest Uber would provide a large number of additional cars just during the rush period when a premium price would be in effect.

He also points out that there is virtually no actual indication that Uber or other free market approaches have bad outcomes except for the income of those protected by the licensing who lose income. One example was dentists insisting that only they can whiten teeth...which doubles the cost for the consumer with no indication that any safety improvement actually occurs. What does happen is the average dentist makes an additional $25,000..
How about this-- anybody can operate a flee of passenger transportation vehicles without applying for a taxi license. Is this what you would like to see?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2015, 09:10 AM
 
149 posts, read 326,666 times
Reputation: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott456 View Post
How about this-- anybody can operate a flee of passenger transportation vehicles without applying for a taxi license. Is this what you would like to see?
I would like to see that. The government has no place creating and fostering monopolies. Milton Friedman gives it good treatment here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Biu7bJAfVNI#t=4s
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2015, 10:08 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
1,423 posts, read 1,402,282 times
Reputation: 1716
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpercar View Post
I would like to see that. The government has no place creating and fostering monopolies. Milton Friedman gives it good treatment here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Biu7bJAfVNI#t=4s

Pshh, whatever... Everybody knows the only Miltons who matter are Milton-Bradley and the fat f-*k from Office Space.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2015, 11:21 AM
 
12,973 posts, read 13,927,233 times
Reputation: 5454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott456 View Post
How about this-- anybody can operate a flee of passenger transportation vehicles without applying for a taxi license. Is this what you would like to see?
How about no one new can get into the taxi business without the agreement of the existing taxi owners or buying a medallion costing most of a million dollars?

That is what we have now.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2015, 01:44 PM
 
3,581 posts, read 4,448,103 times
Reputation: 3118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott456 View Post
How about this-- anybody can operate a flee of passenger transportation vehicles without applying for a taxi license. Is this what you would like to see?
Absolutely!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:33 AM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top