U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2015, 10:25 AM

13,593 posts, read 11,251,334 times

Advertisements

You may be right, or not, but they should be allowed to succeed or fail on their own, both the individual drivers, and the cab companies and Uber. Let them slug it out, and we'll see who does best in the end. If drivers can't make it with Uber, than they'll drop out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Cabbie View Post
Whoever does this is an idiot... Probably the same drivers who are into long hauling people... They see an opportunity at $$$ and they light up inside. When in reality, becoming an Uber driver in Las Vegas is going to be a terrible, terrible city to drive in.
There are simply too many cabs and the need for a cab-like transportation is extremely centralized in LV... Unlike NY, LA, CHI where the need is very spread out.
Vegas is only two million metro... The same as Kansas City or Cleveland. You think Uber drivers in those towns are just rolling in the dough? lol. No.
Plus they give up all their benefits... Medical, 401k, paid vacation, paid sick time, company car, free maintenance on said car... But at least now they will make 80% on rides and be told by the company that they work for what the tip is going to be, regardless of the service they provide... But that 80% start to disappear pretty quickly when you are putting miles on your vehicle, changing your oil faster, replacing worn and blown tires faster, paying higher insurance, paying all fuel costs, paying for medical if you don't have any coverage from somewhere else, cleaning up vomit/blood/**** from your own vehicle (yep, it does happen...)... All while sharing the road with more than 15,000 taxi, limo, bus/shuttle drivers.

Yeah... Good luck with that in Vegas.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 10:46 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,402,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
You may be right, or not, but they should be allowed to succeed or fail on their own, both the individual drivers, and the cab companies and Uber. Let them slug it out, and we'll see who does best in the end. If drivers can't make it with Uber, than they'll drop out.
If a bunch of people ahead of me bounce in favor of driving for Uber, that just means my seniority goes up faster and faster but they are still fools to do so.

Old 05-29-2015, 01:09 PM

1,308 posts, read 2,143,709 times
I am glad I don't make a living by driving a car.

Old 05-29-2015, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott456 View Post
I am glad I don't make a living by driving a car.
I used to be an Electrical Engineer at a coal-fired power plant... MUCH prefer this.

Old 05-29-2015, 06:17 PM

116 posts, read 111,774 times
Good free entertainment might be sitting outside Omnia at CP or Encore and watching these kids and UBER drivers try to find each other at 2:30 am for their 5 minute ride back to their hotel. The only place being an UBER driver won't be a nightmare near the strip is the corridor along Paradise. Everything else is going to be a logistical nightmare for both parties and their is no way to solve it. And you can puke inside a car so bad their is no way to fix it without a hazmat team with commercial equipment and chemicals that cost hundreds of dollars. Happens in cabs every night.

Old 05-29-2015, 06:25 PM

200 posts, read 241,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
At least you got past the lawsuit stsge. Here in NYC, banks that loaned money on taxi medallions are suing to force the city to shut down Uber.
The high price of taxi medallions in NYC is one more good reason we should hop Uber succeeds. But on the one hand you have million dollar taxi licenses in NYC supporting political graft and corruption while on the other hand you have Uber creating mega millionaires, so pick your poison.

Old 05-29-2015, 06:26 PM

1,308 posts, read 2,143,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Cabbie View Post
I used to be an Electrical Engineer at a coal-fired power plant... MUCH prefer this.
Of course, E Engr at a coal-fired power plant is definitely worse than a cab driver.

Old 05-29-2015, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott456 View Post
Of course, E Engr at a coal-fired power plant is definitely worse than a cab driver.
It's all about perspective man... I'm happy with what I do and damn good at it... Not all people can say that.

Old 05-29-2015, 10:27 PM

2,168 posts, read 1,355,942 times
Quote:
... watching these kids and UBER drivers try to find each other.
I don't think you understand how the app works. Or Google+ or Find My Friends.

Old 05-30-2015, 05:45 AM

4,506 posts, read 5,858,104 times
I wonder how many Uber fans would also be in favor of unlicensed restaurants, doctors, contractor or any other licensed profession?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas