U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-30-2015, 07:51 AM
 
3,581 posts, read 4,448,103 times
Reputation: 3118

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
I wonder how many Uber fans would also be in favor of unlicensed restaurants, doctors, contractor or any other licensed profession?
Stop with the false equivalency already. These scare tactics are ridiculous!

First of all, every Uber driver is licensed to drive. Just because they may not have a medallion, it doesn't mean 11 year old kids are driving for Uber. They all know how to drive and have passed DMV driving tests just like everybody else, so any further licensing imposed by a bureaucratic government agency is just redundant and a fake reason to extract more money. If safety is a concern, Uber drivers all have to get their cars regularly inspected, they have to carry $1.5 million worth of insurance, and all have to go through background checks: UBER BACKGROUND CHECKS | Uber Blog

Secondly, equating a driver's license with a doctor's specialized license (and education) is dishonest on your part. I hope you can figure out why without me having to explain it. Nobody dies if my kitchen floor tiling is slightly askew. Big difference. Your best argument is the restaurant example... how did licensing work out for Firefly again? Oh yeah, 300 cases of salmonella. "oops." That said, I still want restaurants to have to pass inspections for obvious reasons... just like I want my Uber driver to pass inspections for obvious reasons (and they do.)

Finally, there are clearly some services which people will gladly pay less for, even if the person is not "licensed" to do it. In terms of your contractor analogy, just look up all the hundreds of people offering unlicensed contractor services on Craigslist. In fact, many people on this very site have already bragged about their successful experiences with hiring Craigslist contract labor to do projects in their own homes. Some are even starting threads, asking advice on hiring unlicensed movers from Home Depot parking lots, so in regards to your original question, the answer is: "Many."
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-30-2015, 10:39 AM
 
Location: Sunrise
10,865 posts, read 15,242,910 times
Reputation: 9047
This is very, very simple.

Competition is good. Monopolies are bad.



And the ONLY people arguing for the monopoly are the people who are currently IN the monopoly. This circle-the-wagons mentality is laughable to everyone on the outside of the monopoly looking in.

The people trying to defend the monopoly are making as much sense as a child trying to defend the tooth fairy. The difference being that adults should know better.

And the big-picture takeaway is: Cabbies. Brought. This. Upon. Themselves. If people were happy with their service, Uber wouldn't be needed. People would say, "Uber? Why do we need that when we have such great cabbies?"

I have linked this story before. But I'll link it again now because it's relevant.

» Newspapers and Thinking the Unthinkable Clay Shirky

The Internet just broke the taxi business in the same way that it broke travel agencies and newspapers. There is no way to stop this. Because we're in the middle of a revolution that is bigger than the printing press revolution we went through 600 years ago.

Now if we could just get some real competition with internet and cable providers....and Realtors....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2015, 10:40 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
1,423 posts, read 1,402,282 times
Reputation: 1716
Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
Stop with the false equivalency already. These scare tactics are ridiculous!

First of all, every Uber driver is licensed to drive. Just because they may not have a medallion, it doesn't mean 11 year old kids are driving for Uber. They all know how to drive and have passed DMV driving tests just like everybody else, so any further licensing imposed by a bureaucratic government agency is just redundant and a fake reason to extract more money. If safety is a concern, Uber drivers all have to get their cars regularly inspected, they have to carry $1.5 million worth of insurance, and all have to go through background checks: UBER BACKGROUND CHECKS | Uber Blog

Secondly, equating a driver's license with a doctor's specialized license (and education) is dishonest on your part. I hope you can figure out why without me having to explain it. Nobody dies if my kitchen floor tiling is slightly askew. Big difference. Your best argument is the restaurant example... how did licensing work out for Firefly again? Oh yeah, 300 cases of salmonella. "oops." That said, I still want restaurants to have to pass inspections for obvious reasons... just like I want my Uber driver to pass inspections for obvious reasons (and they do.)

Finally, there are clearly some services which people will gladly pay less for, even if the person is not "licensed" to do it. In terms of your contractor analogy, just look up all the hundreds of people offering unlicensed contractor services on Craigslist. In fact, many people on this very site have already bragged about their successful experiences with hiring Craigslist contract labor to do projects in their own homes. Some are even starting threads, asking advice on hiring unlicensed movers from Home Depot parking lots, so in regards to your original question, the answer is: "Many."
Please educate yourself on the difference between Uber's background checks and the taxi industry's.

Uber uses a service called Hirease which does not do fingerprinting. Instead, it is based on Social Security numbers similar to what creditors use. It only shows the past seven years on the person and the information that is shown in those seven years is VERY limited.
The taxi industry uses LiveScan which gathers ALL federal, state and county records ... Not just in the past seven years ... But ALL the way back. LiveScan is used on teachers as well as medical professionals... Professions where the new hire is directly responsible for patients/customers/students who leave themself in a vulnerable position. Aka putting trust in the employee for their safety/well being.
The fingerprinting process stays on file to keep track of any wrongdoing by the employee in the future. The employer will be electronically notified immediately if an employee were to be booked for something. Hirease does not offer anything like this to Uber. Once they are hired, they are in the system and the criminal tracking methods from there become archaic.
Another difference between the two? LiveScan costs employers about $75 per employee... Hirease is about $15 (no surprise here considering it is a bare bones service)... Yet that doesn't stop Uber from tacking on a $1 "Background Check Fee" to every ride. Why do they need so much money ($1 for every ride is ridiculous) for a service that is outdated and basically useless in comparison to QUALITY background checks?

Please everyone... Keep that Uber love coming in. Between Scoop's infinite missed marks and logline's obliviousness in the details of each option's practices, it's become apparent that it's not about Uber in itself. It's just that they are sick of the cabs and there is a new, very inexperienced kid in town. And that's fine. You can hate us... But I would encourage you to dig a little bit deeper into what you are all so obviously backing while wearing a blindfold.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2015, 10:57 AM
 
Location: Sunrise
10,865 posts, read 15,242,910 times
Reputation: 9047
Throwing wooden shoes into the gears isn't going to stop this. It won't even slow it down.

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2015, 11:10 AM
 
3,581 posts, read 4,448,103 times
Reputation: 3118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Cabbie View Post
Please educate yourself on the difference between Uber's background checks and the taxi industry's.

Uber uses a service called Hirease which does not do fingerprinting. Instead, it is based on Social Security numbers similar to what creditors use. It only shows the past seven years on the person and the information that is shown in those seven years is VERY limited.
The taxi industry uses LiveScan which gathers ALL federal, state and county records ... Not just in the past seven years ... But ALL the way back. LiveScan is used on teachers as well as medical professionals... Professions where the new hire is directly responsible for patients/customers/students who leave themself in a vulnerable position. Aka putting trust in the employee for their safety/well being.
The fingerprinting process stays on file to keep track of any wrongdoing by the employee in the future. The employer will be electronically notified immediately if an employee were to be booked for something. Hirease does not offer anything like this to Uber. Once they are hired, they are in the system and the criminal tracking methods from there become archaic.
Another difference between the two? LiveScan costs employers about $75 per employee... Hirease is about $15 (no surprise here considering it is a bare bones service)... Yet that doesn't stop Uber from tacking on a $1 "Background Check Fee" to every ride. Why do they need so much money ($1 for every ride is ridiculous) for a service that is outdated and basically useless in comparison to QUALITY background checks?

Please everyone... Keep that Uber love coming in. Between Scoop's infinite missed marks and logline's obliviousness in the details of each option's practices, it's become apparent that it's not about Uber in itself. It's just that they are sick of the cabs and there is a new, very inexperienced kid in town. And that's fine. You can hate us... But I would encourage you to dig a little bit deeper into what you are all so obviously backing while wearing a blindfold.
I get it. Livescan background checks are more thorough than Hirease background checks. Point taken.

For some reason, it doesn't worry me in the slightest to use an Uber driver over a cabbie. The difference of risk associated with one system over another is negligible to me. I imagine there are millions of others just like me. Everybody assumes more risk with their babysitters, housekeepers and valets than they do Uber drivers. Life goes on.

Why choose Uber? Because the level of service is almost unanimously in favor of Uber. Some provide water, no need to carry cash, GPS location/tracking, rating system, even Spotify just did a deal with Uber so now I can listen to whatever I want. Oh yeah, and it's cheaper. There's no comparison.

Last edited by logline; 05-30-2015 at 11:21 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2015, 11:15 AM
 
Location: Earth
4,506 posts, read 5,858,675 times
Reputation: 4952
So comparing licensed professions is bad when I do it but comparing getting longhauled with being a rape victim is good when you guys do it?


You might want to look up the word monopoly!
If there are multiple companies about equal in stature how can you claim a monopoly? It's the TA that has the control...just like the PUC or any other regulatory agency.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2015, 11:36 AM
 
3,581 posts, read 4,448,103 times
Reputation: 3118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
So comparing licensed professions is bad when I do it but comparing getting longhauled with being a rape victim is good when you guys do it?


You might want to look up the word monopoly!
If there are multiple companies about equal in stature how can you claim a monopoly? It's the TA that has the control...just like the PUC or any other regulatory agency.
This post makes no sense. You're not helping your argument here.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2015, 11:56 AM
 
Location: Earth
4,506 posts, read 5,858,675 times
Reputation: 4952
Sorry two threads, same subject and mostly the same participants...I assumed everyone was aware of both threads...and for what it's worth, I believe the person that made the comparison has since edited their comment.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2015, 01:05 PM
 
Location: Silver Spring, MD
1,477 posts, read 1,266,987 times
Reputation: 1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
Sorry two threads, same subject and mostly the same participants...I assumed everyone was aware of both threads...and for what it's worth, I believe the person that made the comparison has since edited their comment.
No i didn't. I emphasized in another post that my point was to say that your attitude towards longhaul victims (they get what deserve because they either didn't report it or didn't take precautions) while at the same time calling the request that cab drivers add to the call for the way to stop the practice (all you have said is good drivers can't do anything) is similar to the blame the victim mentality that rape victims faced. Fortunately there are effotts to change the attitude when it comes to rape, I've given up hope for you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2015, 02:34 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas
2,865 posts, read 2,139,212 times
Reputation: 2423
every profession is at risk of becoming obsolete....... a little OT, but unmanned taxis can't be too far off, just like in the original Total Recall movie

back to reality, i don't know how much of a threat uber is to taxi drivers, but it cannot be good for their future income. so i'd say, be smart and look for something else to do now.... seriously

with almost no barriers to entry, this industry is going to become even more flooded than it already is
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:37 AM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top