U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2015, 12:38 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,392,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
In the 2 months since that article was written, Carl Icahn has invested $100 Million into Lyft to compete with Uber. With Uber approaching a $50 Billion valuation, these 2 companies alone are going to be more valuable than the entire taxi system in the U.S. In 3-5 years time, the question will not be whether ride-sharing can compete with taxis, it will be "Why are taxis even around at all?" They will simply not make any sense from an investor standpoint, nor a customer standpoint, nor a driver standpoint.

Cabbies are toast.
Yes, cause we should all get behind the ever so amazing Carl Ichan... God, hasn't he just done wonderful things for this city?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marioni888
I have paid 90 $ Taxi from airport to our house in summerlin last year.

That included automatic tip of 24 $ in receipt . I paid with credit card.

I didn't know about tip being included automatically in receipt and I gave tip to driver in cash (15 $).

He didn't say nothing.

One hour later my wife looked at receipt and said why I tipped driver twice !!

Only then I discovered what happened.

I called taxicab office and talked to manager. He refunded me my 24 $ tip from receipt.

Since then I never took ant taxy in this town.
Nope. You have to actually confirm the amount you are agreeing to on the credit machine. There is also an option to click zero tip if you want to give the driver a cash tip instead. This happens quite often and every passenger I've had do this had no problem at all accomplishing it.

But yeah, I guess incompetence from the passenger is somehow also the taxi industry's fault lol.

And $90 to get home in Summerlin? I can get to Pahrump for $150... Did you circle the 215 three times?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 01:46 PM

13,605 posts, read 11,247,285 times
Last time I took a taxi in Vegas, we had to give the guy directions from my then-boyfriends house to the airport. This was from a house directly off of Flamingo for cryin out loud. Maybe it was his first day. His English wasn't real strong.

Old 05-31-2015, 01:49 PM

403 posts, read 674,379 times
I don't see what the fuss is about. If the cab companies are better than they will win in the long run. In general, I have had no issues with cabs when I am at the airport or exiting a strip property. My only issues are getting picked up at my house. I live within 15 minutes of the strip. I am often told that my wait will be over 90 minutes, and most of my scheduled pickups happen later than the time they give me. I consider that to be bad service. Couple that with my 100% positive experiences with Uber in other cities, and I am more than willing to give them a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Cabbie View Post
In Las Vegas, more than 95% of rides come from tourists.
Then your industry's choice is either be happy with that and let the competition come in and service the other 5% or step up your service to the other 5%. The argument that the competition sucks more than you do isn't very compelling to most customers who want improved service. Improve or let somebody else take a swing at it.

Old 05-31-2015, 01:55 PM

12,973 posts, read 13,841,262 times
Quote:
Yes, cause we should all get behind the ever so amazing Carl Ichan... God, hasn't he just done wonderful things for this city?

Nope. You have to actually confirm the amount you are agreeing to on the credit machine. There is also an option to click zero tip if you want to give the driver a cash tip instead. This happens quite often and every passenger I've had do this had no problem at all accomplishing it.

But yeah, I guess incompetence from the passenger is somehow also the taxi industry's fault lol.

And $90 to get home in Summerlin? I can get to Pahrump for $150... Did you circle the 215 three times?
Nah. I would presume he is including a total of $39 in tips in the 90. That mean s $51 cab fare. Airport to my home runs $70 or more. That is why i use a town car. Actually your home to the airport has to run more than mine.

While the argument for Uber in most places is very strong it breaks on the strip where there are a number of spots where a continuous stream of cabs are dispatched...the airport and the resorts. Uber is not an obvious fit in those situations.

So i would expect an eventual accommodation. It is the period until that happens that will be interesting...

Old 05-31-2015, 05:05 PM

244 posts, read 374,647 times
Quote:

What you are talking about?

There was NOT any option about tip when I signed receipt.

He just told me total and I signed it.

Are you doing the same thing? If yes then its further proof of how taxicab works here.

He should tell me that tip is INCLUDED in receipt when I signed it, or when I gave him tip in cash after that.

And his manager said over the phone he shouldn`t do that and he will have talk with him.

What is not clear to you here ?

It was actually 95$ to summerlin including that tip. Is that too much? If yes, then he robbed me twice then

Old 05-31-2015, 06:03 PM

206 posts, read 160,147 times
There is NO automatic tip in taxi credit machines.Period.

Old 05-31-2015, 06:13 PM

206 posts, read 160,147 times
Carl Icahn invested $100mil in Lyft. Big deal, he invested $150mil in Fountainbleu. How's that working out?

Old 05-31-2015, 06:54 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,392,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marioni888 View Post
What you are talking about?

There was NOT any option about tip when I signed receipt.

He just told me total and I signed it.

Are you doing the same thing? If yes then its further proof of how taxicab works here.

He should tell me that tip is INCLUDED in receipt when I signed it, or when I gave him tip in cash after that.

And his manager said over the phone he shouldn`t do that and he will have talk with him.

What is not clear to you here ?

It was actually 95$ to summerlin including that tip. Is that too much? If yes, then he robbed me twice then
Yeah sorry but I think I'm more familiar with the equipment inside of a taxi more than a person who got one ride home and "hasn't used a taxy since"

Might want to back off a little bit and not accuse me of doing the same thing as him.

And if the ride was $90, why did you sign the receipt? If the ride was supposedly $90 and the tip was $24, WHAT DID THE METER SAY?? Cause tips aren't built into the meter.
And... When you sign a receipt, it legally HAS to show the amount you are agreeing to.

Something isn't adding up... No pun intended... And that something is your story.

You are either blatantly lying... Or just missed about a dozen different things in order to question the cost, tip, etc.

Old 05-31-2015, 08:59 PM

1,307 posts, read 2,133,378 times
Lesson learned: Do not use credit card when taking taxi in Vegas. There is a $3 surcharge for credit card process, and the tipping system with credit card is confusing. Especially in the dark of night, you just got off the plane, tired and dis-oriented.

Old 05-31-2015, 09:03 PM

10,865 posts, read 15,175,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott456 View Post
Lesson learned: Do not use credit card when taking taxi in Vegas. There is a $3 surcharge for credit card process, and the tipping system with credit card is confusing. Especially in the dark of night, you just got off the plane, tired and dis-oriented.
Most of them are COUNTING on that.

This is where you're going to hear, "So why didn't you call the taxi authority and complain." It's a broken record. And it keeps spinning all day long, all night strong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas