U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2015, 04:32 PM

12,973 posts, read 13,880,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqibbcakes View Post
I don't care how many zeros and ones google has at its disposal, in LV there is simply too many variables. They were bragging that their test vehicles had only four crashes----what? Can you imagine leaving Caesars or Mirage at peak times, a driverless vehicle will literal take hours to get out. I doubt google will program vehicles to break the law which sometimes one has to do driving in LV. Little things like pedestrian traffic cannot be accounted for.
You would be wrong there. I find the autonomous vehicle very interesting and follow it closely. They are well aware of the need some times to force action and have already programmed such in. I believe the google crashes to date have yet to involve one where the autonomous vehicle was at fault.

My opinion is still that long haul trucks are the first thing to go. Very high payoff and reasonably sterile environment. But the next one is tight urban with relatively slow speeds and lots of close action. Obviously the intent of the Google vehicle.

And I would not be surprised to see autonomous vehicles that will actually push people or come within inches of doing so.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 04:34 PM

13,534 posts, read 11,182,608 times
I don't think they'll be no regulation of the Uber-etts. I think whoever regulates cabs out there will make sure it won't get TOO fun (take your example to the logical extreme).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
And I think creative Uber drivers will turn their vehicles into "the Karaoke Kab" and similar to set themselves apart from standard cab drivers. There will be combination cab-rides/tours. Cabs driven by showgirls in pasties. Stripper cabs. You name it. People are going to become creative so that customers seek them out, instead of the current model of idling at the cab line waiting for a fare. Think of the money someone could make carving out a Strip Club shuttle niche -- "I take you from club to club. I know all the girls, all the bartenders. I know the 'secret passwords' and can get you the keys to the kingdom." (And kickbacks from the clubs themselves.) That's the future.

With no real boss to report to, people have more latitude to turn driving people from point-a to point-b into something more.

Old 06-02-2015, 04:39 PM

10,865 posts, read 15,205,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I don't think they'll be no regulation of the Uber-etts. I think whoever regulates cabs out there will make sure it won't get TOO fun (take your example to the logical extreme).

Just like the Internet was once "anything goes" -- the early days of Uber will be like that, too.

I'm quite certain there will be Uber drivers with user names like:

CaptainCannabis
TrixieBlowsU
TwoGramsOfSnow
BDSMparty
BackroomCashPokerGames

and so on, and so on....

Old 06-02-2015, 05:11 PM

206 posts, read 160,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
You would be wrong there. I find the autonomous vehicle very interesting and follow it closely. They are well aware of the need some times to force action and have already programmed such in. I believe the google crashes to date have yet to involve one where the autonomous vehicle was at fault.

My opinion is still that long haul trucks are the first thing to go. Very high payoff and reasonably sterile environment. But the next one is tight urban with relatively slow speeds and lots of close action. Obviously the intent of the Google vehicle.

And I would not be surprised to see autonomous vehicles that will actually push people or come within inches of doing so.
You're of the belief as long as you get rear ended its not your fault?

Old 06-02-2015, 05:53 PM

12,973 posts, read 13,880,130 times
Quote:
You're of the belief as long as you get rear ended its not your fault?
No. I am unaware of any indication they got rear ended.

Uber and Lyft will be regulated by the Nevada Transportation Authority. We will see what actually happens but they will be regulated.

Old 06-02-2015, 06:48 PM

880 posts, read 1,678,672 times
Quote:
All bashing aside of drivers, the bottom line is uber is a less than honorable business model. They have changed their own rules regarding drivers split, etc. With wall st and Hollywood investment money uber along with Goldman sacs wants only to have an IPO, and fleece the average investor. Prior to uber its CEO sold pirated movies and music under the guise of file sharing. The truth about uber will eventually reveal itself but unfortunately not till after they go public.
Are you trying to protect us from ourselves? Or is this another example of a cab driver attempting to put Uber in a negative light because, in reality, you are fearful about losing your job as you know it?

If what you say is true and comes to fruition, the market will sort itself out and Uber will be toast. You have nothing to worry about - your future is secure. On the other hand, if Uber is successful, you and all of your colleagues have a lot to lose. I know the feeling. I've been though it - it sucks. I don't wish job loss or ill will on anyone, but the sooner you accept that the world (including the taxi industry) is constantly changing, with or without you, the better off you'll be.

Old 06-02-2015, 07:21 PM

206 posts, read 160,452 times
Trust me, im not at all worried about job or income loss at all. I'm just pointing out that the business model most see as scum at the cab companies will benothing compared to what uber will prove to be.

Old 06-02-2015, 07:37 PM

638 posts, read 466,375 times
Quote:
Trust me, im not at all worried about job or income loss at all. I'm just pointing out that the business model most see as scum at the cab companies will benothing compared to what uber will prove to be.
If what you say is true, then nobody will drive for Uber and they will not be in business. Freedom to work when you want is a compelling argument to drive for Uber vs a taxicab.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:54 PM

74 posts, read 75,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
And I think creative Uber drivers will turn their vehicles into "the Karaoke Kab" and similar to set themselves apart from standard cab drivers. There will be combination cab-rides/tours. Cabs driven by showgirls in pasties. Stripper cabs. You name it. People are going to become creative so that customers seek them out, instead of the current model of idling at the cab line waiting for a fare. Think of the money someone could make carving out a Strip Club shuttle niche -- "I take you from club to club. I know all the girls, all the bartenders. I know the 'secret passwords' and can get you the keys to the kingdom." (And kickbacks from the clubs themselves.) That's the future.

With no real boss to report to, people have more latitude to turn driving people from point-a to point-b into something more.
That won't happen Scoop. You don't request a specific Uber driver, there is no way to through the app. You merely request a ride and the available drivers in the area are made aware via their apps and then the accept the job. There's no competing amongst Uber drivers because you can't contact an Uber driver directly. The only way to do so would be if you rode with one and they gave you their personal phone # for future trips, but then once hired again it would not be through Uber. It would require a cash transaction, and negotiating a price, and chances are that driver you rode with yesterday is not the closest driver to come get you today so there is no incentive for customers to enter into private driving agreements with Uber drivers anyway. As a long time Uber customer in many cities, I'll tell you the best way for the customer is straight through the app, most pickups occur within 5 minutes, and you're on your way. Can't beat it.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:37 PM

10,865 posts, read 15,205,954 times
We'll see -- this is still evolving. I think the next logical step is Uber drivers trying to set themselves apart from "the crowd." That's where the money is.

I compare this to Paypal. Paypal when it started was nothing at all like Paypal today. It responded to the needs of both the people taking cash and the people sending it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas