Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 01:12 PM
EA EA started this thread

6,791 posts, read 7,111,747 times

Advertisements

I want to apply to all the blue collar unions for the apprenticeships. Obviously, I could only end up doing one of them.

My question is, are they reliable forms of employment out here? I know a lot of people who have gone to work for unions elsewhere and have horror stories. A lot of the unions here promise 17-19 something an hour to start. I've been promised a lot at all three of the jobs I have had out here, and not one of them have come close.
I need steady work, and steady pay.
I work hard, I do good work, I show up early, and will stay late. I install cable now. I love the work, I've always enjoyed this kind of work. Wires, metal work, mechanical work, wood working etc.
My current supervisors compliment my work all the time. On my weekly rank report, I have 100% Quality, and 100% repeat visit (Means they don't have to send anyone out to fix my work).

I take pride in my work, but it's piece work. It's not steady at all.
It's a point system. 1.20-1.45 per point depending on your rank.
Some days they'll give us 100 points, and most days it's under 60. Monday I got 24. A little math shows that's not equitable.
Unions seem to be the only thing with starting pay at what I need, but I want to make sure they are stable and consistent before changing jobs yet again.

I'm specifically looking at Electrical, Plumbing, and Sheet Metal, but I'll do carpentry and anything else related to these fields.

I've built houses, roofing (although not in 115 degree heat), plumbed and wired my own house, rebuilt cars from the ground up, built custom cabinets, some metal working, and a lot of wiring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 01:23 PM

15,822 posts, read 14,460,687 times
Move to NYC. We've got a huge building boom going on here.

Old 06-26-2014, 01:48 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,151,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Move to NYC. We've got a huge building boom going on here.
I believe there is a little building boom going on all over this country. Even here in Nevada. Elko still has one going on and north of Centennial Hills is suppose to have a couple thousand homes being built.

Old 06-26-2014, 01:54 PM

I can not afford to move, and I do not want to move. I want to know, specifically, about the Las Vegas unions.

Old 06-26-2014, 02:23 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,017,781 times
Unions will give you better pay and benefits. But you have to get jobs to get the money. When our economy was even worse than it is now, I bought a BBQ grill from a guy on CL. He told me all he did every day was make an appearance at the union hall and sign a book of some kind that he was willing and able to work. There never were any jobs to go to. Economic downturns do affect the construction business. There are no guarantees.

JMHO but I think the key is learning a viable skill that can't be outsourced where you can work for someone else or work on your own. If I was starting over I would be an electrician. Reach Journeyman and you can choose. Work for a big company or take small jobs on CL. Up to you. It takes at least a couple years of really hard work and classes as well. And I don't think they pay apprentices $17 per hour. But wages should be no secret in a union environment. Call the Hall and ask what an apprentice makes and how much work there is. Or just go down to the Hall and talk to the guys hanging out there. Spend a couple hours and learn a lot!

Most of the sheet metal folks I know work in HVAC and as long as air conditioners break down there will be work.

But the real deal here is that competition is fierce for ANYTHING with the possibility of advancement that pays significantly more than minimum wage. There are probably 30K people thinking about doing this right now. Sounds like you have some great skills already and you can speak, read, and write English. These are great skills to have and if possible, learn some Spanish if you don't already know it.

Another possibility would be CenturyLink and maybe a few other telco type places. Several are unionized and the pay is OK, wonderful for Vegas.

There are not enough decent jobs to go round here. Honestly anyone who is making $15 per hour, full time, with benefits has hit a bonanza gold. Good luck!

Old 06-26-2014, 02:35 PM

At the top of the application for the electrical union it tells you that the pay is 18.45 per hour, and asks you to be sure you can live off that.

From the sheet metal website. Sheet Metal Local #88 - Las Vegas

BASE WAGE FOR TRAINED WORKER:
Commercial Journeyman: $42.01*
Commercial Apprentice: $18.90 - $35.71*
*Plus benefits: 401(K), Local Pension, National Pension, Health & Welfare, Apprentice/Journeyman Training, National Industry Fund, SMOI, NEMI.

Electrical is what interests me the most.

Old 06-26-2014, 02:47 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,017,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
At the top of the application for the electrical union it tells you that the pay is 18.45 per hour, and asks you to be sure you can live off that.

*Plus benefits: 401(K), Local Pension, National Pension, Health & Welfare, Apprentice/Journeyman Training, National Industry Fund, SMOI, NEMI.

Not bad at all! For Vegas it's quite wonderful! Now go down to the Hall and talk to people!

Old 06-26-2014, 03:03 PM

They only take applications the first Tuesday of the month. I'm requesting that day off work, and hitting them all up.

Old 06-26-2014, 03:14 PM

15,822 posts, read 14,460,687 times
How do you get trained? Do you have to do an apprenticeship?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post

Old 06-26-2014, 03:27 PM

Yeah, you start an apprentice ship. A few days a month of class, and on the job training for 4 or 5 years. You pay goes up after so many hours. 18.90 is starting pay. 40~ an hour is final pay when you become an actual journeyman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas