Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 11:35 AM

8,942 posts, read 20,367,927 times

Advertisements

Stand corrected (thanks)......Las Vegas Sun News. From your statement below (in red), I'm sure that there are folks that would agree with you and others that wouldn't. But, compared to the current crime I read about in Henderson and Las Vegas, there was none reported in Summerlin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
There is no "crime free" section of Las Vegas. There's not even a crime free section. Crime isn't bad for a city this size. But I wouldn't leave a Honda Civic parked out in the driveway ANYWHERE in the Las Vegas valley.

Also, it's the Las Vegas Sun. No Times. That's Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 11:43 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,115,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Stand corrected (thanks)......Las Vegas Sun News. From your statement below (in red), I'm sure that there are folks that would agree with you and others that wouldn't. But, compared to the current crime I read about in Henderson and Las Vegas, there was none reported in Summerlin.
That's because Summerlin isn't a town or city. It's a neighborhood.
Crime stats are not broken down by neighborhood.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:49 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,990,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
I assure you that there is crime in Summerlin. My aunt lives there. It's safer than the area around the Stratosphere, no doubt. But we don't have any crime-free areas. This isn't Iceland.

That being said, for a city of 1.8 million, crime isn't nearly as bad as it could be. We have drugs here, but it's not as bad as other areas in the Southwest. We had a user here who said it best: "When the crime happens to your neighbor, it's a low-crime area. When the crime happens to you, it's a high-crime area."

Old 07-30-2014, 03:26 PM

848 posts, read 647,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I assure you that there is crime in Summerlin. My aunt lives there. It's safer than the area around the Stratosphere, no doubt. But we don't have any crime-free areas. This isn't Iceland.

That being said, for a city of 1.8 million, crime isn't nearly as bad as it could be. We have drugs here, but it's not as bad as other areas in the Southwest. We had a user here who said it best: "When the crime happens to your neighbor, it's a low-crime area. When the crime happens to you, it's a high-crime area."
Here is a link to an interactive crime map I found on Metro's Web site which will confirm what Scoop has written regarding Summerlin: CrimeMapping.com - National Map.

Here is a link to an interactive crime map for Henderson: Crime Search.

Here is a link to an interactive crime map for North Las Vegas: https://www.cityofnorthlasvegas.com/...isclaimer.shtm.

Old 07-30-2014, 04:38 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
I am assuming you live in Scotland now and are moving to Vegas. Have you been here before? I have friends visiting from Scotland right now and they think Vegas is Hell on Earth! They can not take the heat. They lasted about 3 minutes on Fremont Street and want only endless cold drinks and air conditioning! Anyway, they are pretty miserable and they will plan their next trip in the Winter.

Old 07-30-2014, 05:02 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,545,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND_Irish View Post
Here is a link to an interactive crime map I found on Metro's Web site which will confirm what Scoop has written regarding Summerlin: CrimeMapping.com - National Map.
Lots of burglaries in Summerlin??? Wow! I thought those tall, guarded gates surrounding many of the communities there would keep would-be predators out?

Old 07-30-2014, 05:34 PM

555 posts, read 1,259,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
Lots of burglaries in Summerlin??? Wow! I thought those tall, guarded gates surrounding many of the communities there would keep would-be predators out?

Most communities in Summerlin are not guard gated and not gated period.

But even still, crime happens in the guard gated neighborhoods too. Relative of mine was employed for Red Rock County Club in the administration office and you'd be surprised at the amount of home burglaries that occur in the community, despite double gates and guarded entries.

Last edited by Kitchen Witch; 07-30-2014 at 05:48 PM..

Old 07-30-2014, 05:37 PM

15 posts, read 21,918 times
We don't have children, but I see quite a few families in Southern Highlands in the SW (89141) Close to Strip and airport.

Old 07-30-2014, 06:41 PM

557 posts, read 793,333 times
I really like that area, especially the Foothills development.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:06 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND_Irish View Post

Here is a link to an interactive crime map for Henderson: Crime Search.

Here is a link to an interactive crime map for North Las Vegas: https://www.cityofnorthlasvegas.com/...isclaimer.shtm.
It is not true and Scoop is as normal wrong. Burglary is much less diverse than violent crime...200:1 versus 5:1 for worst zip to best...but it is still quite similar in distribution. The outer ring versus the inner core is still there.

The new LVMPD site is a pain to work with. Almost as if they set it up to prevent comparisons. Still works pretty good though if you are comparing two addresses.

I have a 2011 map for burglary somewhere. I will dig up a link and post it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas