U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 12:05 PM

59 posts, read 89,824 times

Advertisements

Best place to live with a young family in or around Las Vegas?

Hello People,

Im arriving in Las Vegas in a few weeks and I just wondered where would be best for me to plan on setting up home either in or around Las Vegas or some other place/suburbs close by or within a reasonable commute?

Much appreciated!

Thanks,
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 01:53 PM

156 posts, read 359,850 times
I'm partial to Henderson.

Green Valley South - Green Valley Ranch - Seven Hills - Anthem
Zips 89074, 89052, 89012

Old 07-02-2014, 08:23 PM

Hi and thanks for taking the time to reply to me, I appreciate it. Henderson is one of the places that had sprung to mind. Can you also tell me if theres a city/town that sits up high looking of Las Vegas?

Thanks,

Old 07-03-2014, 12:12 PM

156 posts, read 359,850 times
The Las Vegas Valley is almost completely ringed in mountains, and the development spreads up into the foothills. You will find parts of Henderson, Las Vegas, North Las Vegas & Summerlin that look down into the valley and have nice views of the Las Vegas Strip.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:01 PM

Thanks. Ive been told to stay away from North Las Vegas? Can you advise any on this?

Old 07-04-2014, 04:52 PM

12,686 posts, read 33,980,289 times
The only problems with Henderson are that it is hotter in summer, and, IMO, it is more congested. We almost bought there a couple of times. We lived on the east side of town early in our marriage because that's where we could afford a house, and the NW, North, Summerlin, etc. did not exist. Nothing existed west of the Tonopah Highway but a few ranchettes. Now we prefer the NW right where we are, or Summerlin, which is close by. When all this growth started we were pi**ed that we were being Kalifornikated. We looked at a lot of homes in Summerlin and felt like we couldn't stand the (then) yuppies and phony soccer moms, which we looked at as plastic people.

Now we kick ourselves for not buying there early on, because Summerlin has held up so well. That's because they have rules to keep it that way (and I hate rules). But, most areas of Las Vegas are old after 20-25 years, and get taken over by a lot of people that don't have pride of ownership. Cars parked on the lawn, house in need of paint, etc.

So it depends on a lot of things, what kind of home owner are you? For all we know, what you think of as nice, another person might think is a ghetto. Ask yourself how much do you plan to pay for a house, do you see your home as an investment, can you abide by HOA rules, do you care if the neighborhood holds up for many years, do you want the best schools (which is hard to know from one year to the next), what kind of area will you need to pass through to get to your home, how close do you need to be to work (which usually doesn't matter here unless you don't have a car), etc., etc.?

Your best bet is to find a temporary place to live, or to come here in advance for about a week, and get with a realtor that will show you homes with your preferences in mind. They aren't allowed by law to steer you one way or another, but they can answer your questions and stick with what you want to see.

Re. NLV: I've been here a long, long time, and to me it still has the stigma of being mostly ghetto, although I can see with my eyes that it really isn't that bad. My daughter has been in her lovely home in NLV for over 20 years and loves it there. And her neighborhood has really held up extremely well. I used to contend that resale wouldn't be good there, but it turns out that only we old timers see NLV as a bad place to live, while newbies don't know the history and don't care.

BTW: Henderson is also colder in winter and gets more rain than other parts of the Valley, which is not a bad thing, unless you get flash floods.

Disclaimer: After four home purchases I think we have become house snobs.

Last edited by Buzz123; 07-04-2014 at 05:12 PM..

Old 07-14-2014, 06:37 AM

1,197 posts, read 1,565,680 times
North NLV isn't ghetto by any stretch of the imagination (well at least not north of the 215 which is all I know of it).

Now South NLV isn't all the great (around Craig), but I wouldn't say it's ghetto.

One thing though, there isn't too much east of the 95 and north of the 215, so if you live there you'll commute a whole lot to do anything but go to target, homedepot and the grocery store). I drive to Summerlin a whole lot.

Rural Las Vegas (NW) has great views of the whole valley (not as expensive as Summerlin, and closer to things than NLV, plus it's all custom homes out there so no HOA's!!!).

Old 07-15-2014, 04:39 PM

4 posts, read 11,796 times
Hello,
Henderson, is very nice area they are building new homes in Mission Hills, off Horizon ridge Parkway.
You stated you have a young family then, rent to see the area you like most before buying. Lake Las Vegas has some beautiful homes very quite and safe. Henderson is voted 2 or 3rd safe city in the country. Cadence is another community that will be selling homes starting September 2014 off Lake Mead Parkway in Henderson. They call it the city within a city. Go on line and check these areas out.
Good luck, hope you enjoy it here as much as we do!

Old 07-15-2014, 06:31 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,491,964 times
I run 10 miles around Summerlin at 11pm at night. Feel real safe. Trails are well lighted. No people hanging out.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:36 PM

10,865 posts, read 15,573,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotland2USA View Post
where would be best for me to plan on setting up home either in or around Las Vegas or some other place/suburbs close by or within a reasonable commute?

There is no "close by or within a reasonable commute." There is the Las Vegas valley. And then there is nothing but Mojave desert for miles in every direction. We don't have a hinterlands to escape to. What we have is pockets of good areas and bad areas, often right next to each other.

In general, the nicer places are around the rim of the valley. But that's not always the case. And there are some nice areas that aren't on the rim. You'll really need to see it for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas