Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 12:28 AM

67 posts, read 102,957 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I was just looking at my older posts before we moved out here & asked for help from other vegas residents. Many did nothing but give rude and useless opinions. Some gave encouraging words. Some just went on and on about why they hated Vegas.. Anyways just wanted to update that we are still here, living and loving it. My husband now works for Caesars and I work in Henderson. When I had posted we made it here and had liked it so far people said eeehhh, you will be broke, or become a gambler or a drunk, or it's a honeymoon phase. Well I say, WRONG!!!! We are happy and not broke. It took years of debating if we should make the jump out here, and we finally did. I will say we did have to have some luck on our side to find jobs as quick as we did, God had to be looking over us. That being said I Love where we live, love the dining & entertainment options. Great weather...yes even the heat . I say if anyone is looking on making the move out here, save money..and I mean lots of money. Not just a couple thousand and come out on a whim, we took over a year of coming here in different months to see the weather, especially the summer months. Looking at different parts of town, talking to locals, scoping out our job possibilities. We went through money quick, with moving, deposits, groceries, registering our cars..etc..etc. but like I said that was just 10 days with no job. So plan plan plan!!! But when you do make it out here you can laugh at all the negative people too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 12:43 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,265,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittypawsdl View Post
Hi all, I was just looking at my older posts before we moved out here & asked for help from other vegas residents. Many did nothing but give rude and useless opinions. Some gave encouraging words. Some just went on and on about why they hated Vegas.. Anyways just wanted to update that we are still here, living and loving it. My husband now works for Caesars and I work in Henderson. When I had posted we made it here and had liked it so far people said eeehhh, you will be broke, or become a gambler or a drunk, or it's a honeymoon phase. Well I say, WRONG!!!! We are happy and not broke. It took years of debating if we should make the jump out here, and we finally did. I will say we did have to have some luck on our side to find jobs as quick as we did, God had to be looking over us. That being said I Love where we live, love the dining & entertainment options. Great weather...yes even the heat . I say if anyone is looking on making the move out here, save money..and I mean lots of money. Not just a couple thousand and come out on a whim, we took over a year of coming here in different months to see the weather, especially the summer months. Looking at different parts of town, talking to locals, scoping out our job possibilities. We went through money quick, with moving, deposits, groceries, registering our cars..etc..etc. but like I said that was just 10 days with no job. So plan plan plan!!! But when you do make it out here you can laugh at all the negative people too
I was talking to a doctor the other day about a forum where the people were really negative about a medical procedure. He said they've found that people who are satisfied don't say anything, and the small percentage of unsatisfied complain to high heavens. It's the same on City Data. Negative people are the most vocal because it's their goal in life to ruin everyone else's fun.

Old 07-01-2014, 01:27 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,432,626 times
I think that's true about most things. I'm on car forums a lot, and people are always complaining about their vehicles. You'd be scared to buy anything if you went primarily off their findings/issues. Although some are legit complaints, things tend to get blown way out of proportion too. It's rare people come online to rave about how great their car is running. Just as it's rare for a business to get a letter raving about their product or service.

All of the city forums are like this as well. Living in Tampa, the things I read were ridiculous. Before I moved to Reno, I read the same things: Gangs, graffiti, homeless people!!! And worst yet, nobody is friendly! Of course every city has some of the "rudest people ever," and don't forget "I couldn't make friends the entire time I was there."

It's all what you make of it. Do your homework, have a positive attitude and the world can be a great place.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:03 AM

790 posts, read 1,261,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittypawsdl View Post

Let me guess, you still rep Michigan everywhere you go and talk about how things were "back home", fly a UM flag in front of your house and have a sticker on your car for Michigan or the Detroit Lions although you ran away from that dump....

Old 07-01-2014, 06:06 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,800,726 times
It's great to hear things are working out.

Yeah, the naysayers are an interesting lot. They really do act like LV is the only city that has problems. In actuality, you just need to take care of yourself - like you do in any big city. It's not rocket science.

Bill

Old 07-01-2014, 06:35 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,133,020 times
To be honest - after living here for 34 years, the only thing I truly dislike/miss is rain!

I've always loved rain and thunderstorms. I can sit for hours and watch lightning - God's awesome fireworks - and listen to the rumble of thunder.

Don't miss the rest of the stuff though like floods, tornadoes, blizzards, and the rest of it.

Welcome and make sure you see all the awesome stuff there is to see.

Look for my PM.

Old 07-01-2014, 07:16 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,759,548 times
Great post! While I didn't notice a lot of negativity when I was doing my planning, I certainly see it more now, but it's just from a handful of people. Every place can be great if you make it great! We've been here 13 months, have a great house in a great neighborhood, have made SO many friends, and can't imagine living anywhere else.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:56 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,673,031 times
I've been here for one month and change. Ran over 300 miles in desert heat and cycle more than 500 miles on the roads. Gained some healthy muscle mass because I am trying to make American Ninja Warriors final in Las Vegas!!

I will never go back to the Northeast.

I have a dream job working at home and I can do all these activities year round.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:28 AM

421 posts, read 896,527 times
Welcome to your new home! We have been here 2 1/2 years - some of the best of our lives! With your positive attitude you will do well here.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:38 AM

15,789 posts, read 14,390,222 times
I've seen significant thunderstorms in Vegas. I took off out of McCarran in the middle of one once.

What's nice out there is you can see them very distinctly from tens of miles away. I once drove out to Valley of fire. I spotted on just as I got back on I-15 deep in the middle of nowhere north of town. I watch this thing for the whole trip. As I was on the part of the 15 that runs parallel to the strip, I could see the rain and lightning coming out the bottom of it over the southwest part of the valley. Here in Backeastland, you just don't get long sightlines like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargentodiaz View Post
To be honest - after living here for 34 years, the only thing I truly dislike/miss is rain!

I've always loved rain and thunderstorms. I can sit for hours and watch lightning - God's awesome fireworks - and listen to the rumble of thunder.

Don't miss the rest of the stuff though like floods, tornadoes, blizzards, and the rest of it.

Welcome and make sure you see all the awesome stuff there is to see.

Look for my PM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas