Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 11:38 AM

428 posts, read 810,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvc8 View Post
Had a stripper/dancer living next door to me once in a rental house . she loved sunbathing in the nude...didnt mind it at all ! ....
Is that legal in NV, Las Vegas? Just curious, after having visited Oregon and learning that public nudity is legal. My gal friend who will be moving with me also would like to be able to suntan naked, e.g. around a backyard pool of a home we rent, but I figured she probably could not do so legally being homes are packed so tight in the LV metropolis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 10:55 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,671,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDJeff View Post
The walls are for a bit of privacy since all the developers in Las Vegas cram houses together as close as they possibly can. More houses per block = more profit. The tiny lot sizes are one of the things I really don't like about living here. I would have gladly paid another $20k to have a bigger yard but it's just not an option.
Sure it is...Many homes located on cul-de-sacs here are on lot sizes that are 2-4x the lot size of the majority of the neighborhood. Granted these are often odd shaped lots but the space and potential for more privacy is there.
I've also not really noticed these homes going for much of a premium at all in average neighborhoods.

Google earth is a great tool if someone is looking for more privacy...its not just an issue of your lot size but also the lot sizes of the immediate neighbors. On my street alone there are two homes each on almost 1/4 acre due to a bend in the road...the rest are all on average size tract home lots.

My neighborhood was built in the early to mid 90s...I'm not sure if this holds true for newer areas.

Last edited by SoHoVe; 07-07-2014 at 11:42 AM..

Old 07-07-2014, 11:38 AM

165 posts, read 209,381 times
I bought my current home last July after several months of searching. It didn't meet all my desires but after close to a dozen offers it was the first one to get accepted. There was very little inventory to start with that fit my list - 1 story, 1500-2000 sq foot from $150k-$250k. The nicer homes that fit my criteria were snapped up by cash investors site unseen for $25-30k or more above asking price. It was a very frustrating experience but I finally ended up getting a house, just not one that ticked all the boxes on my list. Maybe my realtor just didn't understand what I really wanted. For some reason he was pretty insistent that I would hate Henderson as a single guy in his late 30s.

Old 07-07-2014, 02:22 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_obody999 View Post
I am curious and confused, being a Minnesotan-- what is the purpose of all the 3-4 foot high concrete perimeter walls I see associated with most homes that I look at. Is it to keep snakes out of yards (please tell me snakes are not an issue?!)? something to do with flash floods or something? or just for privacy?
If you are talking about walls around the back yard, they are a lot higher than 3-4 feet, more like 5-6 feet. And, they are common not just in LV, but all over the west, including NV, AZ, CA. No, they are not for snakes, or floods; they are primarily for privacy. I have just the opposite reaction when I go to other parts of the country and see unfenced back yards, which look strange to me after all these years with a fenced yard.

Walls or fences associated with front yards are lower and more decorative than functional, unless they are fencing off a front patio area or, in some cases, the front yard (keeps kids and dogs in while playing, if the kids and dogs are small enough).

Old 07-07-2014, 09:24 PM

2,719 posts, read 3,491,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvc8 View Post
I believe thats called a "cougar":
Cougar is a slang term that refers to a woman who seeks sexual relations with considerably younger men

Age disparity in sexual relationships - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Nope, more like mountain lion, women here are less sophisticated more on the trashy side.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:03 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,117,601 times
That is one thing I miss about PA. Our fence was 4 sides of woods keeping people from looking on our 7 acres.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:48 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times
I wouldn't want to live someplace that didn't have walls. Good fences make good neighbors. Walls make even better ones.

Old 07-08-2014, 02:16 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,671,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
I wouldn't want to live someplace that didn't have walls. Good fences make good neighbors. Walls make even better ones.
Not to mention the almost constant upkeep required on older wood fencing.
I'm so glad to have my dogs back in what is basically an escape proof yard.

I like the decorative fencing (mainly with ironwork) on the front yards too, as long as the property is large enough that it doesn't appear restrictive. Definately something I would look for in a larger property.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:44 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Do bear in mind that Las Vegas is subject to a potential 6.8 earthquake (seismologists claim that's the maximum we can face here, if you wish to believe that), at some point in time, and if that should happen, the walls will come tumbling down, and then you'll be able to see what's been lurking in your neighbor's backyards all these years!

In the older neighborhoods of Las Vegas, you won't see the preponderance of walls like you do in the newer areas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas