Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 02:18 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
Most housing programs I've noticed like Section 8 does not solve the problem of income inequality though. Most people become lifetime welfare recipients in such programs.

Citation please? Especially concerning programs like Utah's housing first.

Old 07-06-2014, 09:34 AM

2,928 posts, read 3,552,260 times
Just my personal observations. Similar to the philosophy of giving a man a fish vs teaching him to fish.

Old 07-06-2014, 11:30 AM

111 posts, read 134,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamReign View Post
...If you can point to a victim of there crimes then ill admit, but as far as I can tell they have done no harm to a soul. ...
Two thoughts.

Let's assume you are correct that these people need a place to stay for a while. That need is met by a well developed infrastructure of residential motels - places that are suitable for rent by the week or month. A businessperson saw the need for this type of facility & invested to create it. The squatters should be in the residential motel. Because they are squatting in a place where they are breaking the law, that is taking money out of the pocket of the residential motel business owner. It is taking food off his table.

Second, a free & just society is dependent upon a well developed set of property rights and an independent & corruption-free judiciary to enforce those property rights. These squatters had their day in court, and if we believe the facts as presented, they used fraud to influence the judge. That is wrong, and they should go to jail.

Third, as a shareholder in Bank of America, those squatters are hurting ME. They are taking money from ME, quite illegally, and that is wrong.

Old 07-06-2014, 02:27 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Don't blame the sqautters for having the guts to survive, blame your corrupt system for screwing your fellow out of a house. There is no victim in this crime, the only victim is the morality you people posses. Never in my 23 years of living would i rather see a family homeless just because they didnt pay a boat load of cash for something every human being should have by right.

So many foreclosed houses with a growing homeless population, and you think donating can soups and used clothing will help Lmao!!! Put them in a house, why would you discrimate on the poor homeless? Why? It is because they refuse to play by the rules that some corrupt government setup to swindle the hard working out of there home? Please be rational.

And yes I would offer them shelter in my home if they need it.
They appear to need it so they can quit breaking the law, you should look up the address and send them all tickets to fly to your home.

You have not even started to see anything in real life at the age of 23, it does get worse than what it is now.
There is a crime it is called "being a squatter" and living in a home for free that is not theirs. They are "stealing" and it is that simple.
You appear to be missing the point that "the poor homeless" are breaking the law and it is not discrimination it is the law.
You are the one being irrational and I bet you also prefer to save the whales instead of push for adoption of children who are in the United States instead of adopting from other countries.

Old 07-06-2014, 02:54 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
Just my personal observations. Similar to the philosophy of giving a man a fish vs teaching him to fish.
I very much believe in the concept of bootstrapping. It has worked very well for me. But I also recognize that not everyone has my skills and drive. Some people are going to be marginalized by society. We should measure our society by how we treat such people. On that level, we are very much behind most of the developed world.

Basically, if they can sort it all out, why can't we? (I think the answer lies with ideological purity supplanting practicality.)

Old 07-06-2014, 03:03 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,564,559 times
I'm sad the other thread got closed because things got off topic and ugly. Hope there's another thread with what happens. I'm wondering why it never got to the media, sounds like a great story!

Old 07-06-2014, 03:05 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Citation please? Especially concerning programs like Utah's housing first.
One obvious statistic is that Section 8 has not opened its waiting list in 10 years. That would indicate that those on the program don't turn over.

Housing First sounds pretty good. But I suspect there are problems. For instance are the savings suggested actually bookable or are they virtual. If you cut the hospital cost for the involved individuals in half but the hospital budget remains the same have you saved any money.

Will the existence of the program create a new set of users who would otherwise have not been on the street? there are many examples of this...it would be much cheaper to treat many medicare patients at home but that is not allowed. Why? Because there are vast numbers of Medicare recipients who would reach out for care if it did not invovle institutionalization.

Be interesting to try Housing First here for at least say the hard core psychiatric patients.

Old 07-06-2014, 05:41 PM

238 posts, read 548,109 times
Quote:
Please don't take offense to anything I say, Im only trying to understand your real reasons for wanting them out.
Let me break down my though process in all this.
1. VACANT bank owned house.
2. Probably will not sell,
3. Homeless people/family moves in without proper due dillegence.
4. Court says then can stay
5. Your upset because they are staying.

I can only conclude that your being a bit racist and hypocritical. I mean for Christ sake they are probably homeless and need a place to live for a while. I've only been in Vegas for a week but I notice the resentment towards the Hispanics - and honestly their people have been here way before yada yada. Honestly let them live in peace, as long as they are not harming you or your community then leave them be. Have a heart and get to know them

Sorry if I jumped to conclusions, they might not even be Hispanic or whatever but still you must have a heart for the less fortunate =D
Love ya
How do you know these people are homeless and not just trying to scam the system and live for free? Why would they steal the brand new refrigerator the bank purchased?

Why not invite them to stay with you?

Old 07-06-2014, 06:08 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,552,260 times
This thread is just flame bait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas