Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 05:49 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,345,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Hmmm??????

Does our oft banned, oft reregistered troll have a face?
LMAO, sure sounds like it. It takes him 21 years to form that opinion while being completely factually wrong

Going back to the original question, there is no doubt The Strip made Vegas and without it the town wouldn't be as big. All one has to do is see Reno but as I have said numerous times through the years, every city has it's positives and negatives. I researched numerous cities to relocate to once we decided to get out of DC and Vegas fit us best; however, The Strip never entered into the equation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 06:25 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,009,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfinnova View Post
The Strip never entered into the equation.
How is that even possible? No Strip means much higher taxes, much higher unemployment, absolutely zero culture (not even Celine Dion, if she counts as "culture"), and next to no amenities. All Las Vegas would have is Nellis. And even a large AF base like Nellis only needs so much population to support it. Las Vegas wouldn't even exist as a pit stop for people heading to California. There are better ways to get to California. Servicemen would dread assignment at Nellis. It would be the worst assignment in the military instead of being considered one of the best.

Moving to Las Vegas and saying "I could take or leave the Strip" is like moving to the moon and saying, "Breathable atmosphere? I could take it or leave it." Whether we like the Strip or not, there wouldn't be a town worth mentioning without it.

Old 07-06-2014, 06:42 PM

700 posts, read 1,330,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
How is that even possible? No Strip means much higher taxes, much higher unemployment, absolutely zero culture (not even Celine Dion, if she counts as "culture"), and next to no amenities. All Las Vegas would have is Nellis. And even a large AF base like Nellis only needs so much population to support it. Las Vegas wouldn't even exist as a pit stop for people heading to California. There are better ways to get to California. Servicemen would dread assignment at Nellis. It would be the worst assignment in the military instead of being considered one of the best.

Moving to Las Vegas and saying "I could take or leave the Strip" is like moving to the moon and saying, "Breathable atmosphere? I could take it or leave it." Whether we like the Strip or not, there wouldn't be a town worth mentioning without it.
Cannon AFB, NM looks at you and laughs heartily.

You would be surprised at the number of servicemembers that hate it here. Lots of people come from rural backgrounds, dont like the heat, and the demands of the mission can be very draining. But there are far far worse places to be stationed. I equate the naval station in Fallon, NV to be comparable if Las Vegas wasnt "Vegas".

Old 07-06-2014, 07:10 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,345,205 times
Quote:

We didn't move here because of The Strip, if we did then we would have bought a condo on it and spend every minute on it. As I said previously, The Strip makes Vegas but there is much more than that which you and I know to be true. As I have listed in the past, my reasons for moving here were:

1. Favorable weather (no snow to shovel)
2. Access to gambling (don't need The Strip to do that)
3. Year-round golf
4. Less crime and traffic compared to DC
5. Little humidity
6. No or small chance of hurricanes, tornados, earthquakes.

Don't get me wrong, there are things I like about The Strip such as the amazing restaurants but it simply was not a factor in moving here.

Old 07-06-2014, 07:39 PM

15,868 posts, read 14,508,751 times
This is a red herring. All the big eastern cities, with all the taxes and social programs you'd like to see in Vegas, have exactly the same problems. NY was able to put a dent in its crime problem by putting four infantry divisions worth of cops on the street, and allowing them to kick the necessary a$$ (to the point of pissing of a lot of people.)

Quote:
So what do we do about all the beggars at the intersections? Or our horrible drug problem?

We cannot grab a rope and string them up anymore. The Old West is gone. Blaming immigrants only goes so far. I don't think Las Vegas is sustainable. The music will eventually stop on this game of musical chairs. I think it will happen in my lifetime.

Old 07-06-2014, 07:41 PM

15,868 posts, read 14,508,751 times
Phoenix became a big city with worse weather and no gambling industry. How'd they do it?

Old 07-06-2014, 07:56 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,899,794 times
Vegas would more or less be Kingman. Transportation hub, similar type climate, same sales pitch as to why to live there.

People who say the Strip doesn't matter because they don't go there are kidding themselves. You move to Vegas for jobs, for economic development, for the amenities you get. You move because there is a city and the city starts with the tourism industry. Take it away and the gaping hole implodes the local economy.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:09 PM

2,719 posts, read 3,494,511 times
The Strip will always be a part of the appeal when people decide to move to Vegas, whether it is because of the restaurants, shows, 24 lifestyle, shopping, employment.... it will always be part of the reason why people want to relocate to Vegas.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:24 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,380,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demoknite View Post
Cannon AFB, NM looks at you and laughs heartily.

You would be surprised at the number of servicemembers that hate it here. Lots of people come from rural backgrounds, dont like the heat, and the demands of the mission can be very draining. But there are far far worse places to be stationed. I equate the naval station in Fallon, NV to be comparable if Las Vegas wasnt "Vegas".
Is that why half the town is retired Air Force, and Nellis was their last duty station?

Old 07-06-2014, 08:25 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,380,953 times
You could say the Strip is not the main reason why people move here ...it is what makes all the other reasons for moving here possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas