Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 06:20 PM

12 posts, read 24,866 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. So I've been reading a lot of peoples' opinions on moving to Las Vegas (both on this site and on others). Here's my situation: I'm 21 years old, about to graduate from college in Georgia. (and I grew up in the Chicago suburbs). For at least the past 6 years or so, I've been dreaming of moving to Las Vegas. I came here a lot with my family and I've always loved the desert. I love the heat, the mountains, the close proximity to California, Utah, and Arizona, I just really love the Southwestern region and it's culture.

So I'm studying hospitality in school and I got an internship with a major gaming corporation in Vegas for the summer. It seemed like a dream come true. I live in a hotel, right on the strip. I always thought I would spend the summer out here, go back to school for a year, and come back out to Las Vegas in May permanently with a job lined up. (I'm still very confident I could land a job out here with my the company I intern for)

The only problem is, I'm having serious second thoughts now. I didn't think I'd have a problem being so far from my family, especially since I live far away for school, but I really miss them. I also miss a lot of things about Chicago; the big city feel, the sports, the museums, etc. Las Vegas doesn't seem to have a lot for young single people that isn't related to night clubs. (I'm really not into the night club scene at all). It also feels really isolated out here, even though there are 2 million people in the Las Vegas Valley and I don't like the lack of community. I miss the suburbs with big lawns and neighborhood gatherings and super friendly people.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't hate or even dislike Las Vegas. I'm just thinking maybe it's not for me? I realize it will be different living in a "normal" part of town as opposed to right on the strip, but I just don't want to make the wrong decision. I do love the Las Vegas weather, the hot summers don't bother me at all. But now I'm thinking that dealing with the harsh Chicago winters might be worth it for all the opportunities and urban culture that I miss. Honestly, I would probably move to Southern California in a heartbeat if it wasn't so expensive, but there's just no way I could afford that. LA seems to have the perfect combo of city culture and weather that I'm looking for.

So I guess I'm asking y'all because I know a lot of you aren't native Las Vegans. Do you ever regret moving? Do you miss your friends/family? Especially if you come from Chicago or another similar city? It feels weird because for so many years I dreamed of coming out here and I thought this was the perfect place for me (especially since I'm going into hotel management), and now I think I'm probably more suited for the Midwest. It just feels really lonely out here because I don't have any close friends and so far it's been pretty hard to meet people (especially since I'm not into clubbing). I've been here a month and I have 1 more month to go. I find myself looking forward to going back to Chicago and a big part of that is my friends and family. Any advice? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 06:37 PM

427 posts, read 630,509 times
Geez, you're only talking about a summer !! 2 to 3 months max.

You're majoring in hospitality and have the opportunity to intern in Las Vegas. Wow, do you realize how lucky you are and how good this will look on your resume? You'd be crazy to pass up the opportunity. Plus you're getting the chance to live in a place you "dreamed of". This is an opportunity to see if you'd like it or not, without having to make a commitment to a full time job.

Perhaps getting away from home for a few months would be a good move for for your professional growth AND personal growth.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:05 PM

12 posts, read 24,866 times
I'm sorry, I wasn't very clear on that. I'm 100% staying for the internship. Yes, I recognize it is a wonderful opportunity, and I'm really grateful that I get to have this experience. My question is in regards to after I graduate.

My original plan was to look for potential apartments and living arrangements during my internship, since I'm out here anyways. But now I'm thinking about just moving back to Chicago after graduation.

I'm loving being here for a couple months, it feels like a summer-long vacation. But I'm wary about moving here more permanently after school.

One of the questions I'm trying to ask (and I know y'all can't make this decision for me), but how did you feel when you first moved here? I just kind of have a bad feeling about living here long-term, I think I'll regret it. Did any of you feel that way and get over it? Or did you love it immediately? It's almost like I can't really tell if I like it or not because I miss a lot of stuff from Illinois. But obviously that's bound to happen when you move 2,000 miles away, so should I just suck it up and move here after I finish school?

Old 07-07-2014, 07:10 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,884,616 times
If you don't like it consider it a cheap education. Las Vegas is not for everyone, you wouldn't be the first person to change your mind about it after spending a summer.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:20 PM

427 posts, read 630,509 times
Sorry, i missed that. It was in the last paragraph.
When do you graduate? 2015?

In general I think it's hard to meet people when you're out of college and trying to start a new life in a new location. My experience was that interns usually bonded and hung out together.

Sounds like you've answered your own question though ... you think you're more suited to the mid west.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:48 PM

158 posts, read 264,787 times
I've moved every few years, and I always miss my old friends and places. It's hard to start again In a new spot. It takes perseverance and putting yourself out there to make new friends.

That being said, fresh out of college and experience in a local place that would give you a job? It's a town with a low cost of living and a lot of opportunity to get experience in your field. When you're young and unattached, it's not as hard to be transient and try new places for jobs. If you don't need to make any decisions now, I'd say to see what opportunities present themselves when you're done with school. I always give myself a year in a new city to get adjusted, and by the end of it I'm usually pretty happy and settled, even if the beginning was rough.

Good luck!

Old 07-07-2014, 07:48 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
To be fair to Las Vegas, living on the Strip is a very artificial environment. No way to make friends or get to know people when everyone else is a tourist. But you may be right about not being suited to life here. Just keep in mind most of the locals hang out there maybe a couple times a year when friends and family come to town.

JMHO, one of the coolest things about your chosen major/career field is that you get to live in all those cool places the rest of us can only afford for a vacation. I hope you don't become a homebody and limit yourself too much! If I was in your place I would be looking for resort management opportunities in Tahiti. And I would be planning on relocating every 5 years or so. After Tahiti, maybe Jackson Hole!

Hospitality is a big field in Chicago too and I am sure they pay more there than they do in Vegas. COL is probably higher too. But if you really want Chicago, do it!

Old 07-07-2014, 08:19 PM

775 posts, read 776,312 times
Stay but MAKE GOOD CHOICES! A lot of young folks' first impression kinds of temptations on the Strip can easily mess you up for life, ie, excessive drinking and drugs, gambling, sexual adventures, etc. I have been a social worker here for 20 years and I have seen it. You seem like a mature, determined person who can self- direct. A good internship here will open doors for you here or elsewhere in future. Keep your eyes on the prize! Play it straight for the internship and go from there. Meet people and network in your profession, not the tourists and stupid people. You will be able to tell the difference. Stay out of jail. Save your money. Don't start a family yet. Eat and sleep well. You know the drill. If you don't limit yourself with costly mistakes which the industry may encourage, you will know what to do after the internship. Explore the rest of the city on your off days. You will also never shovel snow here, which will matter more as you get older! Good luck!

Old 07-07-2014, 08:35 PM

2,849 posts, read 4,520,659 times
stay, get experience. soak it all up while you can. you might find by going back to chicago that you miss the lifestyle out here more than back home.

vegas isn't going anywhere. get your education, if this is the right place for you...you'll know it.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:46 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,787,191 times
Sounds like you're homesick. It took 6 months for the newness to wear off for me. After your internship and you finish school, I'd come back out and give it a go. I'd make sure to heed the social worker's words. The silver lining is at least you tried it and may never regret following your dreams. Second, you'll have a longer record of hospitality experience once you get work and can roll that into your resume. Oh to be young. Go with your guts and be impulsive. Better now than later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: