Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 05:39 PM

25 posts, read 32,183 times

Advertisements

I am driving to Reno in a few weeks. I know there are a couple of towns to stop in for gas but are there plenty of rest stops? I have a toddler and need places she can stretch her legs. Any other other tips for this drive? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 06:55 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,821,460 times
Let me google that for you

Old 07-09-2014, 07:01 PM

687 posts, read 4,397,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova16 View Post
I am driving to Reno in a few weeks. I know there are a couple of towns to stop in for gas but are there plenty of rest stops? I have a toddler and need places she can stretch her legs. Any other other tips for this drive? Thanks
I do this drive a couple times a year to go see my Mom in Reno. I dont recall ever seeing rest stops but there are plenty of small towns to hit along the way.

Beatty is 100 miles from here, love stopping at the big candy store there.

Goldfield is another 90 something miles from there. My kids like to get out and explore around the old Goldfield hotel.

Tonopah is about 20 miles from there, pretty decent size town with plenty of places to pull over and you may want to re fuel here.

Next decent sized town is Hawthorne, cant say how many miles that is from Tonopah but its gotta be near 100. There is a McDonalds and a couple other places there.

Next town after that is Fallon, probably another 60 or so miles from Hawthorne, this is where you turn to go to Reno. Fallon is a very good sized town with Walmart, etc.

Old 07-09-2014, 10:33 PM

25 posts, read 46,082 times
Quote:
Next town after that is Fallon, probably another 60 or so miles from Hawthorne, this is where you turn to go to Reno. Fallon is a very good sized town with Walmart, etc.
That is if you're going on the US 95/ALT. US 50 route. Most people however, take a left in Schurz to go onto ALT. US 95 through Yerrington and then take a right to go North through Silver Springs to Fernley and then head onto I-80 heading to Reno.

Old 07-09-2014, 11:39 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,326,550 times
Making the drive tomorrow to go to Tahoe.

There is the campground at Walker Lake on the north side of Hawthorne as well as a small rest area about another hour north IIRC.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:30 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,219,492 times
I know of maybe two rest stops in the whole state, if you can call them that. They are just wide places along the highway to pull over in. But it's Nevada, it's desert. You can just pull off anywhere. But if you need a bathroom with water you're out of luck until you come to a town.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:34 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,219,492 times
I've always wondered why we have never had rest stops in this state. Anyone know why? And don't say Nevada is cheap. I'm sure there's some policy on this. I'd really like to know the thinking behind it. Maybe it has something to do with the land being under the BLM. Or maybe they figure you can and will pe* anywhere you want anyway. Maybe a politician should put that on his platform.

Old 07-10-2014, 06:54 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,563,270 times
I do a trip north from Las Vegas to Hawthorne except in the winter about once every month or two. There are two nice rest stops on 95 that I can think of off hand. One is about 10 miles north of Tonopah. There is a Burger King in Tonopah, for those who want a quick meal, but sometimes the wait in line is tremendous. Then there is another rest stop in the little town of Mina or Luning, just north of Mina. In Beatty, although not a rest stop, there is a great area with a gas station, subway sandwich shop, plenty of parking and even outdoor tables to sit at, not to mention the great candy selection! It's on the north side of town. In Goldfield, a good place to take a break is the county courthouse. It's open weekdays for visitors to look at the courtroom which dates from about 1900. Next door to the courthouse is a small restaurant.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:12 AM

1,966 posts, read 4,326,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johninvegas View Post
I do a trip north from Las Vegas to Hawthorne except in the winter about once every month or two. There are two nice rest stops on 95 that I can think of off hand. One is about 10 miles north of Tonopah. There is a Burger King in Tonopah, for those who want a quick meal, but sometimes the wait in line is tremendous. Then there is another rest stop in the little town of Mina or Luning, just north of Mina. In Beatty, although not a rest stop, there is a great area with a gas station, subway sandwich shop, plenty of parking and even outdoor tables to sit at, not to mention the great candy selection! It's on the north side of town. In Goldfield, a good place to take a break is the county courthouse. It's open weekdays for visitors to look at the courtroom which dates from about 1900. Next door to the courthouse is a small restaurant.
Nailed it!

Old 07-11-2014, 11:42 AM

4,613 posts, read 12,210,292 times
There is a rest stop Amargosa Valley where 373 meets 95, another just North of Tonopah, and rest rooms at Walker Lake campgrounds. Go 95 all the way to Fallon, and left on Alt 50. The Alt 95 through Yerington is twisty and a much slower road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas