Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 05:05 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,674,513 times

Advertisements

Different brands have different business models. A friend of mine purchase a new Volvo and told me that she did not experience the high-pressure techniques that you would get and many dealerships. The clientele of a Volvo dealer is less likely to tolerate that type of behavior from a salesperson; they tend to not be impulse buyers.

My husband and I have both worked in dealerships. From our experiences, we no will longer purchase cars from dealerships.

To be fair, dealerships do have high overhead and a decent profit is reasonable. They provide a showroom and lot where you can view a variety of makes and models without having to do a bunch of driving around. That convenience comes at a premium price and as long as you understand that and the hard sell tactics that come with it, then it's up to you which type of car buying experience you prefer.

Personally, I prefer to purchase a used car that is five or six years old from its original owner whom I can meet and personally judge how well they maintained it. I also purchase a make/model that has a good long-term track record. It's a bit of a hassle, but I save many thousands of dollars doing it that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 05:45 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,860,889 times
The easiest and least painful way to get a good price on a new car is to force the dealerships to compete for your business through a competitive bidding process. This process is documented on dozens of personal finance sites, and there are also services that will do this for you for a fee.

Every new car I've bought in the last twenty years was bought this way (except one). The service I use actually beats the bids I get by enough to cover the cost of service, so the net is it doesn't cost me anything extra to use the service. I believe this is because the dealerships know they are representing serious buyers, as opposed to some bozo off the street who read about this method on the Internet, so they knock a couple hundred more off the price.

If you walk onto the lot and talk to a salesman, you've already lost, by signalling that you are an uneducated buyer.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:48 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,909,005 times
When buying a new car, you should easily be able to get it for MSRP out the door ( all taxes registration, delivery, documentation fees etc. included) The exception is a popular model that the dealer does not have to negotiate on. This has been my personal experience in the Southern California auto market, could be different in the Vegas area.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:03 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,991,974 times
Problem is that a lot of dealers have a separate sticker with add ons. Planet for example, will install wheels, tint, and cloth protection and hit you for $1595. You have to fight to not buy it. Some dealers add for nitrogen in the tires.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:15 AM

3,683 posts, read 9,860,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skugelstadt View Post
When buying a new car, you should easily be able to get it for MSRP out the door ( all taxes registration, delivery, documentation fees etc. included) The exception is a popular model that the dealer does not have to negotiate on. This has been my personal experience in the Southern California auto market, could be different in the Vegas area.
That's not a terrible rule of thumb, but there are more precise sources of pricing information out there that will insure you don't leave money on the table. A couple years ago I bought my dad a Prius, and I thought paying a couple hundred under invoice would probably be the best price I could get. Through a competitive bidding process, I found a dealer willing to sell for a $1000 under invoice.

The rule of thumb above comes from tax, license and doc fees adding up to around 10%, and invoice prices around 10-12% less than MSRP. So if you can offset the difference between invoice and MSRP with all those other costs, you've probably paid invoice + 2%, which is not a horrible price, but typically not the best price available, especially for cars with no unmet demand.

Old 07-16-2014, 02:37 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,674,513 times
I have a friend who purchased a car from a wholesale auction via a licensed bidder (dealer?). He paid the wholesale price for the car plus $500 (I think) to the bidder. He feels he saved a lot of money that way. He had to know exactly the make, model, and year that he wanted and pay cash for the car up front so that the bidder could not be left holding the bag.

Old 07-16-2014, 02:39 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,679,431 times
They are cracking down on this method.

It is really hard to get dealer license if you got suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
I have a friend who purchased a car from a wholesale auction via a licensed bidder (dealer?). He paid the wholesale price for the car plus $500 (I think) to the bidder. He feels he saved a lot of money that way. He had to know exactly the make, model, and year that he wanted and pay cash for the car up front so that the bidder could not be left holding the bag.

Old 07-16-2014, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
Both he and the dealer broke the law.

Old 07-16-2014, 06:57 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times
A friend deals with a German-only independent auto mechanic in the Bay Area, who in turn procures a used car at auction on his behalf. It is typically about a 6 year old Mercedes. In return the friend only has it serviced by this guy. Over 20 years it has worked well.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:08 PM

If the guest entered the auction in anyway it's illegal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: