Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 12:24 PM

78 posts, read 176,605 times

Advertisements

I am looking to be in a relatively safe area (not "Summerlin" safe exactly but still relatively okay) that is somewhat central, ideally about a 15 minute drive to UNLV. With that said, I am thinking about keeping to eastern Spring Valley or west of Chinatown because I am familiar with the streets on the west side.

Do you have any recommendations on what specific communities or apartment complexes, or any type of complex to look at? I have done my research but it seems there are a lot of smaller neighborhoods or communities that have no ratings whatsoever. I've read a lot of bad reviews as well for the communities or complexes that *do* have ratings about cockroach infestation, tons of crime and loud neighbors.

From what I have seen though it seems like Spring Valley and west of Chinatown area doesn't seem to be THAT dangerous of a place, or even that bad of an area so I am wondering why it is so hard to find good reviews?

My budget is probably $800-$1000 for a 2 bedroom 2 bath and it doesn't have to be big at all (I am thinking around $500 rent per person is ideal, maybe $600).

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 05:14 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,159,384 times

Old 07-16-2014, 05:16 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,159,384 times
Sorry, I think I am getting brainwashed into recommending Summerlin to everyone.

Old 07-16-2014, 05:50 PM

427 posts, read 630,703 times
Within a 15 minute drive of UNLV encompasses quite an area. You really need to drive around and see for yourself, check out areas, check out complexes.

Old 07-16-2014, 06:01 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
I would rather commute from the Green Valley area to UNLV. Lots of decent apartments on Horizon Ridge, and it's just up Eastern and then a dog-leg over to the campus. The other option is to live where I live -- the extreme east side of town. I could be on Maryland from my house in 10 minutes flat -- but the neighborhoods can be very sketchy between here and there. (But then again, the area around UNLV is already sketchy.)

Either way, you wouldn't have to cross the Strip (and all the freakin' traffic lights between Arville and Maryland) that way.

Old 07-16-2014, 06:05 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,785,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I would rather commute from the Green Valley area to UNLV. Lots of decent apartments on Horizon Ridge, and it's just up Eastern and then a dog-leg over to the campus. The other option is to live where I live -- the extreme east side of town. I could be on Maryland from my house in 10 minutes flat -- but the neighborhoods can be very sketchy between here and there. (But then again, the area around UNLV is already sketchy.)

Either way, you wouldn't have to cross the Strip (and all the freakin' traffic lights between Arville and Maryland) that way.
I would definitely not recommend the area between UNLV and Russell. I got my haircut today at Maryland/Charleston and decided to drive Maryland down to Russell and over to Green Valley. Lots of apartments on Maryland heading South past the campus, but most appeared pretty sketchy.

Old 07-16-2014, 06:12 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
Yeah, that's not a good area. I'm talking much further down -- Horizon Ridge way. Lots and lots of reasonable apartments and condos on Horizon Ridge. I have many friends who live near the District. And all of them like the lifestyle/value. It would be about 15 minutes to UNLV from there. About 10 from my house -- but the good part of Sunrise doesn't have apartments. OP would have to rent a house (which can be done for about the same as an apartment elsewhere). Our bad reputation has its advantages.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:03 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,805,587 times
As you get up to Horizon Ridge...in fact anywhere south of 215 you will get out of OPs rent range.

I agree Green Valley or along Eastern but I would start at 215 and work North to Windmlll or even Sunset.

You can also do well on Trop and Hacienda just west of Decatur.

Old 07-17-2014, 05:38 AM

2,719 posts, read 3,491,051 times
Check out Summerlin, a short 15 minute drive to UNLV. [off topic, personal, rude] Im sure you will appreciate the scent of freshly clipped grass in the morning there. Added bonus, communites have real turf not artificial so if you have a pet dog it will surely be able to dig without hurting its paws and there are apts near a golf course in Summerlin.

Last edited by observer53; 07-17-2014 at 12:59 PM..

Old 07-17-2014, 12:48 PM

78 posts, read 176,605 times
Are the Summerlin posts sarcastic? I currently live in Summerlin and my commute to UNLV is Hell. Love the area, not the commute.

Any recs for the Spring Valley area specifically? I will look into Green Valley more, but my friend wants to stay West of the I-15 for unknown reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: