Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 10:51 PM

8 posts, read 89,343 times

Advertisements

Hello my first duty station is going to be Nellis AFB Las Vegas, NV and I just wanted some info on where some nice places to live near the base are. I am flightline so I expect to be working fairly long hours so I'd like something close but in a nice area since I've heard that North Las Vegas is fairly trashy. I am married so a place with local businesses so my wife can find a job and go to school. If anyone has suggestions I'd greatly appreciate it, also if anyone one has info about Nellis AFB Flightline that they can share. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 08:09 AM

461 posts, read 666,655 times
There is a complex right across the street from the front gate called Eagle Trace. I haven't been inside the complex, but the outside looks fairly kept and there are guards at the gate.

There is another complex further down on Craig Rd -- Manzanita? I think is the name that looks decent. Although they may be nice places, personally, I wouldn't live in either one because of the surrounding area. I like to jog outside and walk my dog and I wouldn't feel safe doing that living in that area. Plus I have kids and there is no where to ride bikes, skateboard etc

Old 07-28-2014, 08:30 AM

1,460 posts, read 2,807,899 times
That's not really North Las Vegas just to be a stickler. In fact you'd do better to get on the 215 drive west a little ways to North Las Vegas.

You don't want to live in the areas just outside the AFB and this goes for pretty much any duty station in the world.

Personally I would live off the 215 either in Aliante. Travel time would be pretty minimal, 15 mins maybe.

The only one that is sort of nice is The one that is on Craig and Las Vegas BLVD next to the super 8. It has a guard shack for whatever that is worth.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:07 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,155,699 times
Research Heritage Estates, Eagle Trace, Manzanita and Cliffs at Dover.

I'm stationed at Nellis AFB and used to live at Eagle Trace apartments, very convenient. Half of my neighbors at the time either were military, military contractors or federal employees working at Nellis.

Old 07-28-2014, 04:12 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,961,723 times
Flightline will be hot. Why not call your shop and talk to a few people already there? I'm sure there are married people in the shop.

Old 07-28-2014, 04:28 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,786,966 times
OP-have you communicated with your sponsor yet? I would make suggestions but you've already ruled out NLV. You should consider Henderson.

Old 07-28-2014, 04:36 PM

499 posts, read 1,059,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKolb View Post
Hello my first duty station is going to be Nellis AFB Las Vegas, NV and I just wanted some info on where some nice places to live near the base are. I am flightline so I expect to be working fairly long hours so I'd like something close but in a nice area since I've heard that North Las Vegas is fairly trashy. I am married so a place with local businesses so my wife can find a job and go to school. If anyone has suggestions I'd greatly appreciate it, also if anyone one has info about Nellis AFB Flightline that they can share. Thank you!
There are many trashy areas in Las Vegas also. Come here for a visit and see all the neighborhoods. Many nice areas up here in North Las Vegas with many military families. You should contact your command sponsor for specifics about housing and your job at Nellis.

Old 07-28-2014, 06:26 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
Research Heritage Estates, Eagle Trace, Manzanita and Cliffs at Dover.

I'm stationed at Nellis AFB and used to live at Eagle Trace apartments, very convenient. Half of my neighbors at the time either were military, military contractors or federal employees working at Nellis.
Hey Von...did you have your wife or family there? I have recommended Eagle Trace to single adults with rational urban skills but I would be leery of a young wife there. The surrounding area needs urban skills.

What do you think about the wife?

I would send them west to Aliante or so or further.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:30 PM

8 posts, read 89,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXIALE02 View Post
OP-have you communicated with your sponsor yet? I would make suggestions but you've already ruled out NLV. You should consider Henderson.

Yeah, I've tried to but I haven't gotten a hold of him yet. I'm not sure which shift he works.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:08 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,786,966 times
I think they are supposed to put a packet together for you. How much time do you have before you report? I was being facetious when I suggested Henderson. IMHO that would be a helluva drive. I suppose people live all over the valley and work on Nellis but consider transportation expenses in your modest salary. Consider what activities your family likes to do and try to find housing in a nearby area.

When I met my spouse, I lived on the "good" side of town and he lived across the street from the base. My car was broken into in a gated community. I eventually moved in with him and there were burglaries weekly. This was a decade+ ago before the big boom. We bought in NLV and I haven't had any problems. Talk to the people in your shop for the best advice. Have you considered base housing. I think everyone should do it at least once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas