Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 05:19 PM

28 posts, read 32,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Don't you live next to and just north of Canton? Canton actually has a worse crime rate than Las Vegas. The north Canton rate is similar to Henderson or Summerlin. Actually higher than Boulder City.

So you live next to a very dangerous place and will be safer after you move.
Yes, I do live just north of Canton. And you're right, it is very dangerous. I don't generally go into Canton itself. North Canton is extremely safe though, I couldn't imagine anywhere being safer.

It surprises me A LOT that you say Canton has a worse crime rate than Las Vegas, especially from what I've heard about the crime in the area.

If we do move out there, the plan was either for Henderson or Summerlin. Which one would you say is safer?

Old 09-18-2014, 06:13 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,792,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amsterluvslife View Post
Yes, I do live just north of Canton. And you're right, it is very dangerous. I don't generally go into Canton itself. North Canton is extremely safe though, I couldn't imagine anywhere being safer.

It surprises me A LOT that you say Canton has a worse crime rate than Las Vegas, especially from what I've heard about the crime in the area.

If we do move out there, the plan was either for Henderson or Summerlin. Which one would you say is safer?
I don't really think you can tell them apart. Find the nicest house and go for it. If you got kids in school go for the schools.

And note there are other places about the same as far as crime goes. South, Southwest, Northwest Aliante can all work. By the time you get into a nice tract the crime rate in it just about vanishes. Crime is in commercial areas and arterials. The only crime in residential zones is burglary. And that is a local crime that gets worse when the density is high.

And a little tip about crime. Virtually all older rust belt cities are worse than Las Vegas. True pretty much of all southwestern cities. Deals with basic demographics but almost universally true. NYC is almost the only exception.

Old 09-18-2014, 06:16 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,379,099 times
here is what gets a lot of homeowners killed. the mantra
if it didnt happen to me it didnt happen.
people will read this post and then open the door.

Old 09-18-2014, 06:42 PM

28 posts, read 32,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
I don't really think you can tell them apart. Find the nicest house and go for it. If you got kids in school go for the schools.

And note there are other places about the same as far as crime goes. South, Southwest, Northwest Aliante can all work. By the time you get into a nice tract the crime rate in it just about vanishes. Crime is in commercial areas and arterials. The only crime in residential zones is burglary. And that is a local crime that gets worse when the density is high.

And a little tip about crime. Virtually all older rust belt cities are worse than Las Vegas. True pretty much of all southwestern cities. Deals with basic demographics but almost universally true. NYC is almost the only exception.
We won't be buying a house. Renting an apartment, condo or townhouse. No kids, so schools aren't an issue.

I don't particularly want to worry about burglary either.

That's I guess why I say our town is super safe. I don't worry about crime at all really, not even someone breaking in. To an extent I do I guess, because it CAN happen anywhere, but in general, it's not really a fear here. Our neighborhood is super safe and quiet. Maybe I'm fooling myself to think I could find that elsewhere.

Old 09-18-2014, 06:56 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,792,180 times
Quote:
We won't be buying a house. Renting an apartment, condo or townhouse. No kids, so schools aren't an issue.

I don't particularly want to worry about burglary either.

That's I guess why I say our town is super safe. I don't worry about crime at all really, not even someone breaking in. To an extent I do I guess, because it CAN happen anywhere, but in general, it's not really a fear here. Our neighborhood is super safe and quiet. Maybe I'm fooling myself to think I could find that elsewhere.
Burglary is a different crime. Driven by two factors...wealth and density. If the neighborhood is reasonably well off and dense...it will have a burglary problem. It is not optional. The biggest part is always neighborhood kids who know what is going on.

I don't really think it is a big deal anywhere. Put in an alarm or get a dog and the problem virtually vanishes.

It is easy to avoid. Live where density and wealth are both low...

Old 09-18-2014, 09:35 PM

557 posts, read 793,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justmethatswhoiam View Post
here in the valley??
ny

Old 09-18-2014, 09:44 PM

Quote:
I understand this CAN happen anywhere, anything can happen anywhere at any time. It just scares me because this is one thing I think people use to try to scare me away from moving to the area. Everyone says this type of incident, among others, happens more often than not there. I live in an extremely safe area now, and am just hoping that if I do move out there, I can feel just as safe as I do here. Some people say there are extremely safe areas there too, but others say crime is rampant. I just don't know which is true.
Pretty simple. I rather die on my feet than live on my knees. I have and continue to live my life this way.
A few relatives and friends of mine have been so scared in life, that they stopped living a long time ago.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I'd rather have an AR. At home defense ranges, the pellets from a ahotgun shell are not going to spread enough for that to be a useful effect, and I'd rather have 30 rounds on the gun than 4 to 6 that you get with a shotgun.

Also, the BATF has create an interesting and useful loophole in the short barreled rifle rules, so you can now have what is essentially a short barreled AR without a tax stamp (standard length rifles and shotguns can be a bit unwieldy indoors.)
An AR is a horrible choice for home defense. The statistics in Police involved shootings indicate the entire gun fight is between 3-5 rounds total. Also the average distance in a gun fight us approx 7 feet. An AR round is typically 223 round, slightly larger than a 22 caliber but traveling 3000 fps. In home defense or self defense in public you want a big bullet at much slower speeds ( 45 acp ) would be my first choice. Not only does this slow heavy round prevent over penetration to save innocent people behind your target, but also dumps all its energy into the body cavity ( shock wave effect ). Also in close quarters you don't want a rifle as it can be grabbed. A pistol grip shotgun either 20 or 12 gauge would also be an effective home defense weapon. With the shotgun you want to use double ought buck shot ( 4-5 ) 32 caliber projectiles contained within each shell.
An AR like every rifle comes in handy in long distance gun fights ( think a 100 yards or greater )
hunting ( bringing down large game with thick bones, muscle and hides ). Also if you needed to penetrate steel or concrete barriers.
Now that I have explained the facts and my observations of many years responding to crime scenes, would you like to re think your suggestion ?

Old 09-19-2014, 12:02 AM

15,822 posts, read 14,460,687 times
You are incorrect.

All of the major pistol rounds penetrate more than .223. The .223 (or the 5.56mm military round) is designed to tumble once it strikes pretty much anything. It will then break up as it goes sideways. This is how they can use what anyone would think of as a varmint cartridge as a military round. It also means it will tumble and break up going through sheetrock and other building materials. Your big slow .45 with all its momentum will penetrate much more than the .223. In hunting, big slow rounds are what hunters use in the woods, when they want rounds that won't be deflected by tree branches and such. You 00 buckshot would overpenetrate nearly as much as the .45, and, of course at range they will spread.

Not that I have anything against .45ACP for defensive use, round for round, but it's overwhelmingly chambered in pistols, and defensive long guns have major advantages in most gunfights. They carry more ammo, they have a better sight radius, and generally better sighting systems (optics of some sort, which are just now starting to show up on a very few defensive pistols.) If you want to bet your life on 3-5 rounds stopping the fight, you can do that. But if you're worried about a home invasion, you have to plan for multiple attackers all of whom will be armed. I'd rather have a 30 round magazine in the gun, with another one clipped on and immediately available.

Of course, the disadvantage of a long gun is that, beyond a certain length, they become unwieldy at close quarters. That's why I like the shorter barrel ARs, which unless you get the ATF tax stamp, you can't use with a "real" stock. But AR pistols are fine (legally considered the same as any other pistol._ But somehow SIG Sauer got the ATF to okay a very stock like looking and function "brace", which has created a huge loophole.

If you don't want to believe me, here's an article I came up with with 10 seconds of googling. I'm sure I can come up with more and better with the same conclusion if I keep looking.

http://www.gunsandammo.com/ammo/long...fense-caliber/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onlyliveonce View Post
An AR is a horrible choice for home defense. The statistics in Police involved shootings indicate the entire gun fight is between 3-5 rounds total. Also the average distance in a gun fight us approx 7 feet. An AR round is typically 223 round, slightly larger than a 22 caliber but traveling 3000 fps. In home defense or self defense in public you want a big bullet at much slower speeds ( 45 acp ) would be my first choice. Not only does this slow heavy round prevent over penetration to save innocent people behind your target, but also dumps all its energy into the body cavity ( shock wave effect ). Also in close quarters you don't want a rifle as it can be grabbed. A pistol grip shotgun either 20 or 12 gauge would also be an effective home defense weapon. With the shotgun you want to use double ought buck shot ( 4-5 ) 32 caliber projectiles contained within each shell.
An AR like every rifle comes in handy in long distance gun fights ( think a 100 yards or greater )
hunting ( bringing down large game with thick bones, muscle and hides ). Also if you needed to penetrate steel or concrete barriers.
Now that I have explained the facts and my observations of many years responding to crime scenes, would you like to re think your suggestion ?

Old 09-19-2014, 12:15 AM

34 posts, read 46,157 times
I hope that I am not terrified by the world as I get older.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas