Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 03:25 PM

499 posts, read 1,059,672 times

Advertisements

I have spent over $1500.00 on dental services this past month for my kids and I. I am 44 yrs old and was diagnosed with my first cavities. Does Las Vegas still add fluoride to their water supply?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 04:16 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,800,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ft_chief View Post
I have spent over $1500.00 on dental services this past month for my kids and I. I am 44 yrs old and was diagnosed with my first cavities. Does Las Vegas still add fluoride to their water supply?
Well if you use LVVWD you do. A somewhat colorful story.

Fluoride

Note that you get a half a dose of fluoridation whether they fluoridate or not

Old 08-07-2014, 04:36 PM

848 posts, read 648,085 times
For what it is worth, I would recommend researching the history of fluoride. We avoid fluoride altogether, including drinking water and toothpaste, and my kids have never had any cavities. You may find this article from Dr. Mercola's Web site interesting: CDC and ADA Now Advise to Avoid Using Fluoride.

Old 08-07-2014, 04:46 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,108,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ft_chief View Post
I am 44 yrs old and was diagnosed with my first cavities.
Lucky you! I wish I could say the same at 43.

Old 08-07-2014, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND_Irish View Post
For what it is worth, I would recommend researching the history of fluoride. We avoid fluoride altogether, including drinking water and toothpaste, and my kids have never had any cavities. You may find this article from Dr. Mercola's Web site interesting: CDC and ADA Now Advise to Avoid Using Fluoride.
Actually as I think you are aware CDC considers water fluoridation one of the top ten achievements in public health and highly recommends it. As does the ADA.

You are picking up a minor footnote over the use in compounding infant formula. And even that tends to indicate it is at worst a small cosmetic defect.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:39 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,674,513 times
My brother is a dentist (not in Vegas). We discussed this in the eighties when there was a negative report about fluoridation in the water supply. His response was that the overwhelming body of research does not suggest that reasonable amounts of added fluoride in the water have adverse affects on a community's health. He had no problem making sure his children had added fluoride. His attitude is if people want to have it removed from the water supply that's fine with him. He'll take the business.

This is old news and right up there with vaccines cause autism.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:58 PM

848 posts, read 648,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Actually as I think you are aware CDC considers water fluoridation one of the top ten achievements in public health and highly recommends it. As does the ADA.

You are picking up a minor footnote over the use in compounding infant formula. And even that tends to indicate it is at worst a small cosmetic defect.
Actually, I am not picking up a minor footnote with regard to the potential downsides to fluoride. Here is a link to a research article from the Harvard School of Public Health published in 2012: Impact of fluoride on neurological development in children | HSPH News | Harvard School of Public Health.

I think it is wise to question what the government considers to be good for your health. Let's not forget that one of those top ten achievements includes identifying tobacco as a health hazard. However, it took until 1970 for them to publicly declare it was a health hazard in the name of the Surgeon General.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Actually, I am not picking up a minor footnote with regard to the potential downsides to fluoride. Here is a link to a research article from the Harvard School of Public Health published in 2012: Impact of fluoride on neurological development in children | HSPH News | Harvard School of Public Health.

I think it is wise to question what the government considers to be good for your health. Let's not forget that one of those top ten achievements includes identifying tobacco as a health hazard. However, it took until 1970 for them to publicly declare it was a health hazard in the name of the Surgeon General.
It is a given that at some level fluoride is bad for you. As is water or salt.

The question deals with the impact of the levels used in water fluoridation.

From your reference...

--These results do not allow us to make any judgment regarding possible levels of risk at levels of exposure typical for water fluoridation in the U.S. On the other hand, neither can it be concluded that no risk is present. We therefore recommend further research to clarify what role fluoride exposure levels may play in possible adverse effects on brain development, so that future risk assessments can properly take into regard this possible hazard.

I believe we could make similar statements about potatoes...or calcium. I doubt that either has a definitive set of tests proving they do no harm to any subgroup of humankind.

Old 08-08-2014, 12:24 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,276,723 times
I would argue that mercury fillings are worse for you, if they even still use them. And the sucky thing w white or composite fillings is they eventually break and need replacing.

I wonder how much gold fillings are....

Old 08-08-2014, 12:29 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,679,431 times
Yes we avoid Fluoride toothpaste as well. We buy JASON natural toothpaset. No cavities thus far for 10 years.

It's a categorized medical poison.

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: