Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 10:35 AM

2 posts, read 3,874 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

This is my first posting on this forum, thank you in advance for listening and replying.

My father currently is sitting on a portfolio of properties in Las Vegas that are ARM's and as you can imagine, he's about to have a huge spike in mortgage payments. He's attempting desprately to salvage his properties but is loosing hope real fast. I have a few questions, that hopefully as a community you can be able to assist me with.

1. If he defaults on a loan, will and can the bank come after my fathers remaining homes or put leans on them to collect?

2. Is shortselling an option? Can it be done multiple times?

3. Can you just take out a JUMBO loan and payoff all your realstate and have just one payment?

4. What other ideas should we consider?

I really hope you'll be able to provide some help with this. Merry Christmas and a happy new year.

Sergio
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2007, 10:44 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio027 View Post
Hi everyone,

This is my first posting on this forum, thank you in advance for listening and replying.

My father currently is sitting on a portfolio of properties in Las Vegas that are ARM's and as you can imagine, he's about to have a huge spike in mortgage payments. He's attempting desprately to salvage his properties but is loosing hope real fast. I have a few questions, that hopefully as a community you can be able to assist me with.

1. If he defaults on a loan, will and can the bank come after my fathers remaining homes or put leans on them to collect?

3. Can you just take out a JUMBO loan and payoff all your realstate and have just one payment?

I really hope you'll be able to provide some help with this. Merry Christmas and a happy new year.

Sergio
The bank will come after the rest of his assets.

Shortselling is getting more and more popular. In many cases it is the only option but you still have to find a buyer when there are none. Why would anyone buy one of his houses for retail price when there is a foreclosure auction on every corner selling for 30 cents on a dollar?

No bank will give him a jumbo loan no matter how great his credit is. Think about it....woud you? The banks know the market better then all of us. They are already getting into the real estate business against their will.

What other options? As I sit here looking at the screen with a blank look on my face, I am at a loss to give you an answer. But so are the other 29,000+ sellers here. And so are the 400,000 home owners who owe more on their home then the their home is worth.

Welcome to the club and Merry Christmas to you too.

Old 12-22-2007, 10:50 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,501,960 times
His best bet might be foreclosure. Think of it this way...at least foreclosure is an option that is put in place so we don't have to think of jumping off a cliff because we make bad financial mistakes, or unfortuate and unexpected circumstances arise.

The mafia never had foreclosure options...and some other countries don't either.

Try to have a Merry Christmas.

Old 12-22-2007, 10:59 AM

10 posts, read 27,577 times
Why do people just give up so easy and say go into foreclosure!!? And mess up your credit for next 10 years where he cant buy anymore houses! Probably not even decent vehicle. Try to work with good professional ethical investors first Sergio and only as a last resort accept foreclosure. Good Luck

Old 12-22-2007, 11:57 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio027 View Post
Hi everyone,

No...it is not impossible but it is unlikely. It involves foreclosing on the house which is a non-judicial act and then filing a court action to get a judgement for the amount not recovered. Then the Bank could go after other properties...which, if you think about it, is pointless...unless he has some with significant equity.

Quote:
Probably the only one available. Price aggresively and hope the Bank will be reasonable. Difficult but not impossible.

Quote:
Only if He has a property with that kind of equity. And still very difficult.

Quote:
Stop paying. No use throwing good money after bad. Banks may decline to deal with a short sale unless in arrears. If any property has any equity you might try and protect it. Not likely though.

Quote:

Sergio
Not sure there is any real help there...but Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Old 12-22-2007, 03:16 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,713,690 times
I would try the short sale to start, then if that doesn't work then just give the properties up and file for chapter 7. Your credit will be shot for the next 10 years, but its not the end of the world. That really is the pits, but with any investment there are risks to be taken.

Old 12-22-2007, 04:43 PM

403 posts, read 1,170,520 times
Recommendations made here are based soley on the limited information you've provided. You need to sit down with someone and review the portfolio in detail.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:37 AM

309 posts, read 900,658 times
Has your dad gotten any advice from the lenders? Get some advice from other investors who may have encountered similar problems. First he should find out what his options are. Don't wait for the ARMs to blow up head them off. Try to get refinanced if possible. Look for other investors to buy the homes. Get in touch with the local investors group or club. Contact the local association of realtors to see how you can get the word out to all the realtors. Post ads on the free internet boards. Good luck.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:30 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,998,514 times
Default maybe i'm missing something

what about refi or even renting the properties?

Old 12-26-2007, 04:56 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Realistically folks the only hope is a set of short sales...and even that is difficult.

As Eric points out we really don't know enough for a precise answers. But it is not an unusual case. Baring some unforseen event they end up short or foreclosed. This guy is an investor with resetting ARMs. His chance of getting out without significant damage are very small.

A 300K home will cost you something like $2,200 per month for mortgages taxes, insurance etc. It will yield $1200 per month in rent. So you have to kick in $1,000 per home per month. With the property underwater and declining in value it is difficult to pay such a sum even if you have it available. It is called throwing money away.

The idea that the banks may provide useful advice is improbable. Basically they insist you meet your committments and keep the payments up. They only become somewhat rational after you are well behind your payments.

Refi is implausible. Why would a bank agree to finance a property that is clearly going to go short or be foreclosed. They ain't that dumb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas