Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 05:23 PM

499 posts, read 1,059,753 times

Advertisements

That's why its called Single Stream Recycling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2014, 09:15 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,118,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ft_chief View Post
That's why its called Single Stream Recycling.
I like single-stream recycling too. I usually fill the recycle bin long before the trash.

As far as odors go, make sure you bag your food waste carefully. You can also use on of those "stick ups" air freshener things with the baking soda or activated charcoal on the inside of the lid to help keep things smelling decent.

Old 10-04-2014, 06:42 PM

645 posts, read 707,014 times
this single-stream thing is pretty good! more people would want to recycle since it's easier and no hassle. and I guess they have machines to sort out the recycles? Vegas had this since 2010 huh how about other cities?

for bulk waste it's every other week right? and you just leave furniture you don't want on the sidewalk and they will pick it up? I got some furniture and big furniture boxes

Old 10-04-2014, 09:41 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
How about a used, but working, washer and dryer? Do they pick up washers? Those suckers are pretty heavy.

Old 10-05-2014, 10:55 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,992,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
How about a used, but working, washer and dryer? Do they pick up washers? Those suckers are pretty heavy.
Freecycle, craigslist free section, or just put the things by the curb and someone will pick them up. (If you're not behind a gate.)

I did this with an old dryer and it was gone in an hour. Notice all those people who drive around with pickup trucks full of metal? That's what they do all day.

Old 10-05-2014, 01:13 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,966,516 times
Currently Reno has the single stream recycling but only in the city limits. And you pay for the container depending on the size, in addition to your regular trash bill. I don't see many people recycling. And I don't see any recycling at apartment complexes. But they do pick up recycling every week along with trash and you get 20 stickers for special items.

The cheapest service is $42.72 per quarter, unless you are 70 or older.

Outside of the city the charge is $51.71 for me per quarter, recycling with the yellow and green containers. Unlike in the city, our recycling is every 2 weeks so you have to figure out the schedule if you want to participate. We separate out the easy stuff like plastic, glass, and paper. But the rest goes in the regular bin. I'm tired of figuring out what color glass they take and what plastic they take. So I just put it all inthe bins and let them figure it out.

Old 10-05-2014, 01:52 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,679,431 times
I had to spend $15 to buy a Lowes blue recycle 36 gallon barrel. It certainly helps with overflow and the stupid 2 week collection schedule.

Old 10-05-2014, 02:11 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,860,889 times
At our primary residence, the single-stream recycling takes almost everything you'd expect (plastics 1-7 for example). Some items they accept that were unexpected are old clothes, small appliances, and styrofoam (including packing peanuts and food containers). Our recycling container is 96 gallon, provided by the city, and picked up once a week.

The one item we get a lot of that they don't accept is plastic wrap and bubble wrap. I normally take those to to grocery stores for plastic bag recycling, but since grocery stores and convenience stores are prohibited from using single-use plastic bags in the entire state starting next year, those bins may be going away.

Another great thing they do is pick up yard trimmings for composting. You can just dump your grass clipping, tree branches, and other yard waste into a pile in the street and a front-loader with this claw scoop comes by every week to pick it up and take it away.

Old 10-05-2014, 02:22 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,992,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post

Another great thing they do is pick up yard trimmings for composting. You can just dump your grass clipping, tree branches, and other yard waste into a pile in the street and a front-loader with this claw scoop comes by every week to pick it up and take it away.

Our neighborhood would look like a tornado hit if people were allowed to do this. We have no service whatsoever for landscaping debris.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:30 PM

23 posts, read 25,775 times
We have the "All in One Residential". We have two large cans, one for trash and one for recycling, that are picked up once a week. I was outside on trash day and noticed that both cans were being dumped into the same truck. My neighbor commented that all our efforts at separating the contents were for naught--that we basically had twice as many trashcans. So I researched the Republic website thoroughly (watched the youtube videos and everything) and it seemed to me that he was correct. So I emailed one of their people in charge. Here is what I said:

(October 8) "Hi *****, We live in Henderson off *******, and I noticed the truck picking up on our street last ***. The truck lifted both bins and dumped them into the same section of the truck. My neighbor and I were discussing this and wondering if all of the recycling just ends up in the landfill along with the trash. I looked through the entire Republic and EvergreenLV websites, and even watched the Youtube videos and still I could not find answers to my questions, so I decided to email you.
1. I have been bagging the recyclables and placing them in the recycling bin. I found on the website that it is not necessary to bag them, but now I am wondering if they are just treated as trash if I bag them? It just seems cleaner to bag, but I will stop if needed.

2. Are we just wasting our time by separating recyclables--i.e., are they just being dumped in the landfill with the trash and the recycling bins are just an "extra trashcan"?
3. Do you put both the trash and recycling into your sorters at the facility? If this is the case why do we have to separate?
I really want to do my part in recycling, and so do all my neighbors, and we really would like to know the answers. Thank you so much for taking time to read and answer!"
Sincerely,****

After three weeks, his reply (Nov 5): "Please forgive me for not getting back to you sooner. We have a separate site for recycling 333 W. Gowan. We appreciate all you have done and will do in the future. Again I apologize for not contacting you in a timely matter."

I immediately replied: "Thanks for the reply but my questions are still unanswered! Is there someone else I should ask?"

I still have not gotten a reply from my last email. BUT.... two weeks ago, they started sending TWO trucks at separate times of day to our neighorhood! One for trash and the second one for recycling!!!!

If you are serious about recycling and the environment, maybe you should check out your situation when the trucks come by? If I ever get enough credits on this site to reply to people's DM's, I can give you the name of the person I emailed.

Remember the 3R's: Reduce, Reuse and Recycle!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas