Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 01:59 PM

39 posts, read 129,993 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry I just have to comment. My son has ADHD. We held off on using meds for 8 years and exhausted all alternative methods. When we finally put him on meds (Vyvanse) he was like a different child. Well behaved, more focused and less emotional. And when I say less emotional I mean he doesn't cry and have tantrums for just no reason any more. When not medicated and he's faced with a task, he's get frustrated to the point he has bursts of emotion and acts out disruptivley. When he on the medication he seems to be able to handle the tasks and work through them. Without his medication his mind functions like a 4 year old boy. However my son can watch TV for long periods and play video games endlessly. Though when he was really young he could not do this. I noticed he did not sit an datch TV nor did he play with one thing for very long periods. It seems as he grows he matures a little more and his attention improves slightly, but still not at normal levels. My son's Psycologist has said ADHD children play video games with ease and almost better than kids without it. It's just not true that kids kids who can sit and play games or watch TV means they don't have a disorder. Games and TV are stress relevers and can be addicting like a drug. It doesn't require much to enjoy them. I have also put my son in various activities since he was 3. He has been in soccer, baseball and Karate. All of which he had problems with, It was just like school work. He had a difficult time paying attention to the ball or the instructor or what was going on around him. If I didn't keep my eye on him all the time he'd be spinning in circles or wandering off. Putting your child in after school activities doesn't help with the high energy they have during the day and are forced to sit and pay attention and be quiet. To make matters worse my son's school cut recess out of their program and thhy only have PE once or maybe twice a week. If they are on the playground they are not allowed to run or play tag. (do you wonder why we have an obesity problem?) The other issue is that for an ADHD child sometimes it can take hours to complete 15 mins of homework. That leaves little time for extra activities after school. And as he gets old older, he gets more work. It was a difficult choice to decided to medicate my child but now that I have, I do not regret it. In fact I wish we didn't wait so long. I have struggled with the public school system trying to get my son special help. It does seem like teachers are not informed about ADHD. Even our school counselor was clueless. It really is a disability but it doesn't get treated like one. Even knowing that my son is ADHD and is on medication she made the comment to him that he was just being lazy. I've brought up putting my son on an IEP however it seems they try to discourage parents from going this route due these due to amount of work involved. A 504 plan is an easier process for them and involves less preparation.

Last edited by USAFMOM; 01-21-2009 at 02:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 05:58 PM

84 posts, read 390,917 times
I did a little digging and came across New Horizons Academy on W. Charleston. They specialize in children with learning dissabilities, ADD/ADHD and Dyslexia. I don't know much about this school so if anyone has any information on them please share. Thanks.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:57 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,181,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFMOM View Post
To make matters worse my son's school cut recess out of their program and thhy only have PE once or maybe twice a week. If they are on the playground they are not allowed to run or play tag. (do you wonder why we have an obesity problem?)
That's crazy...is that getting more commonplace in the U.S.?

Recess seems almost essential. I don't personally think any kid is capable of constant focus on studying every moment of everyday. Even as an adult, if I studied nonstop from 8-3 everyday, I would certainly need my breaks. Can't imagine how much moreso for kids.
---

I know this is a dumb question...but I wonder if he eats a lot of sugar and candy and coke and such. To me, it seems like the U.S. has this stuff available almost everywhere in and around schools, all kinds of stores cleverly market sugar-related products. The corporation/consumption patterns are heavily geared towards sugaring up kids every moment of everyday...and I can't help but think it might be one other thing to look into - although I'm sure you've probably examined everything already.

Sorry if I'm doing the 'outside looking in' thing and it isn't appropriate. (I'm an American who has been living abroad for years as a teacher, and I just don't see these things happening in other countries, yet they seem so epidemic and commonplace across the U.S., and I'm completely puzzled by it).

Old 01-22-2009, 09:54 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,684,866 times
the tag is probably not allowed because it will hurt someone's self-confidence or a kid fell and a mom sued the school or the parents of the kid that tagged him...

Old 03-17-2009, 06:09 PM

1 posts, read 9,102 times
Hi,
If you are interested in a product that I found to be extremely safe and helpful with kids and adults with ADD and ADHD I would love to share the information with you. You can write to me directly at prosperityz@cox.net
Patricia

Old 03-17-2009, 07:31 PM

2,753 posts, read 6,664,116 times
Contact the Las Vegas Scottish Rite Language Clinic (http://www.scottishrite.org/what/phil/southwest.htm#NV - broken link). We provide some of the best therapy (not meds) in the country, free of charge.

Old 03-18-2009, 11:51 PM

1 posts, read 9,077 times
You have the right to request an assessment of your child from the school district if you feel they will benefit from accommodations. You child may be eligible for an IEP or a 504 plan. This will help provide them with strategies to work through the areas of trouble. A great resource to help you is Nevada P.E.P.( Nevada PEP Homepage ) which has monthly trainings on ADHD and have parent advocates to help you be aware of your child's rights. Also speak with your pediatriction about being proactive for your child. If you would like the names of some great doctors in the valley who are knowledgable with ADHD just give me a nudge.

Do not waste your time with the judgmental people who do not live with this issue on a daily basis. They do not understand anything about ADHD. I suggest they get their butts over to What is ADHD? The Truth About Attention Deficit Disorder and educate themselves:

I prefer to take the research side of things when approaching an issue rather that mock and riducle someone. ADD/ADHD is very real and very emotional for the parents who deal with it on a daily basis. I am not only the parent of a child who INHERITED severe ADHD and married to someone with ADHD(contrary to popular belief you do not outgrow it but learn coping mechanisms) but I also have a Masters of Education in Early Childhood Special Education.

Added note: My husband is not American so do not let people fool you into thinking this is an American epidemic.

If anyone who surfed in has a child not yet enrolled in school, you can request an evaluation from Child Find( Child Find Home Page ).

Old 08-12-2009, 01:45 PM

2 posts, read 17,565 times
Default Adhd

Yes its sad that teachers dont have the tolerance for children with a little more energy than others and an attention span of about 5-10 mins in class teachings. It depends on what type of school your child goes to- that measures the level of your childs "ADHD".

I have three boys that have the so-called "ADHD" and problems started as early as pre-school and is still prevalent till this day. Through my extensive observations and experiments; I've seen, experienced and reshearched alot so I believe that I'm an expert when it comes to this subject. In this posting You will find that it depends on the type of enviroment, peers, and staff support that makes your life with ADHD a living hell or an actual blessing.

First the type of school, if your child goes to a school that has a regular class setting with a boring teacher or a teacher that hates their job or doesn't care about the kids, the classes are overcrowded, has limited activities, has gym once a week, the staff just comes to work to receive a paycheck, can't accept a challenge and won't offer help but quick to complain--Your childs ADHD is SEVERE!! If the school is the opposite and they offer help MILD!!

Last edited by maliesha shomo; 08-12-2009 at 02:30 PM..

Old 08-12-2009, 02:22 PM

2 posts, read 17,565 times
Talking Adhd

If your childs school has lots of activities, frequent breaks between learning, sports, teachers that love teaching in a fun manner, and staff that is willing to help and offer services from outside and within facilities- than you and your child has hope!

My children went to both and the one with hope, I had less calls and more help and collaboration. They had more activities and the learning enviroment was very stimulating it wasn't a city school that's for sure, but one out in the middle of nowhere, we were back in the city after that and the problems were back!

If your stuck in a school that has problems of taking control, no tolerance, won't offer help, and if you sit in the class and get the feeling of whats going on in the school you'll know first hand what your child goes through.

9 times out of 10 its not just your child so don't feel alone cause your not. While you sit there and your child is being the perfect angel; other kids are going to act out, see how the teacher handles it and the other childrens' response to the teacher. Are you falling asleep during your sit, well imagine how the kids feel as they fight to keep themselves up-you can leave-they can't.

The most important thing is to get advocates for you and your child cause you'll need them. These are people who actually understand and will attend meetings by your side with the staff about your child. Get an IEP or 504 plans to assist your child in making sure that they are getting the education that they deserve, and its reviewed by yourself and others on a constant basis, if its not working then they have to find what does work until they get it right!! Now they might not offer this and are hesitant to do it but with your advocates by your side they won't!! They are the LAZY ones make them do their work and thats providing and performing the best options for your childs learning experience.

So the answer is Yes they're are schools that specialize in ADHD. The school you choose! If they don't, then they will if you take these steps.

Did you also know that SSI provides funds for ADHD so if you want to pay for the school and other special services that they will need including medical and couseling? Just call 1(800) 721-1213 Social Security. You'll Thank me later.

Last edited by maliesha shomo; 08-12-2009 at 02:35 PM..

Old 12-01-2009, 11:07 AM

1 posts, read 8,455 times
I have been really involved in my son's education from day one. We have an IEP and I have done all the steps other than having a advocate with me. The schools are good, some of the teachers just aren't concerned with the children who need help. I am struggling now because my son is in the 6th and this is a new experience for him. He has asperger's and add. He gets bullied and he doesnt care. He how ever comes home and makes life so darn difficult for us I want to check out at times.He is not on meds for the add yet. we have treid ritlin, adderall, which made him so mean and the concerta well he complained of a stomache ache. I need to get him on something because he's getting f's in everything besides gym. He forgets to bring hw home, complete assignments, etc. His organization skills are awful. He's told me he knows the work but he cant get it out when he needs to, He feels like his brain isn't working. I went to a website and read a article, which made me cry because it was a letter fron a son to his mother(sort of) explaining how he feels and what's going on in his head. My son loves to draw he's very good at it( all though its either animals or baktugan. He reads at a 9th grade level and his spelling is off the charts. Thats his strength.
He hates math, science etc. I have struggled hours on hours trying to get hw done. Yes I am gulity I have given him answers or really done more than I should just to get him to finish his work!
I am losing my mind!! I am waiting for his teacher to contact me because we just did the IEP and nothing has been followed. I will roll my butt up there if need be. Also I am going to make a appt to his psy, to see about starting the conerta again or something eles.

Are there any support groups here in vegas? Also is there any medications that you mothers have tried that you feel didn't help?
Thanks in advance.. I am typing really fast today.

Have a good one. Twan

Last edited by scirocco22; 01-07-2010 at 11:08 AM.. Reason: orphaned comment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: